• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Silly n00b question...

TechnoWeenie

imported post

I vaguely remember reading about a law that requires court buildings and the such which PROHIBIT weapons to have secure storage available for those who 'check' their weapons at the door...

Am I going nuts, did I actually remember reading that somewhere about WA, is that another state I'm thinking of, or, am I just 'remembering' crap I never saw, lol.

compmanio365

imported post

No, it is in the RCWs.....

RCW 9.41.300 Weapons prohibited in certain places — Local laws and ordinances — Exceptions — Penalty.

In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary locked box sufficient in size for pistols and key to a weapon owner for weapon storage, or shall designate an official to receive weapons for safekeeping, during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building. The locked box or designated official shall be located within the same building used in connection with court proceedings. The local legislative authority shall be liable for any negligence causing damage to or loss of a weapon either placed in a locked box or left with an official during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building.
Whether or not these courthouses are any longer in accordance with the law is anybody's guess though. Since most people will simply leave their firearm in their vehicle or at home if they know they are going to the courthouse, I'm sure it rarely gets used.

Jered

imported post

It's enough to make a fellow strap on a Walker Colt and challenge them to find a box big enough for it.

:p

Bear 45/70

imported post

Jered wrote:
It's enough to make a fellow strap on a Walker Colt and challenge them to find a box big enough for it.

:p

roflmao1.gif

The Mason County Courthouse has lockers and a sign that says if all the lockers are in use or you firearm won't fit got to the Sherrif's office down the hall to the right.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:

RCW 9.41.300 Weapons prohibited in certain places — Local laws and ordinances — Exceptions — Penalty.

In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary locked box sufficient in size for pistols and key to a weapon owner for weapon storage, or shall designate an official to receive weapons for safekeeping, during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building. The locked box or designated official shall be located within the same building used in connection with court proceedings. The local legislative authority shall be liable for any negligence causing damage to or loss of a weapon either placed in a locked box or left with an official during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building.
Whether or not these courthouses are any longer in accordance with the law is anybody's guess though.  Since most people will simply leave their firearm in their vehicle or at home if they know they are going to the courthouse, I'm sure it rarely gets used. 

That's confusing, it's illegal to take a weapon INTO a courthouse, but they're required to keep a secure area for those who do? I don't see a specific exemption that says 'unless you give up your weapon immediately upon entry' or something like that...

joeroket

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:

Whether or not these courthouses are any longer in accordance with the law is anybody's guess though. Since most people will simply leave their firearm in their vehicle or at home if they know they are going to the courthouse, I'm sure it rarely gets used.

That's confusing, it's illegal to take a weapon INTO a courthouse, but they're required to keep a secure area for those who do? I don't see a specific exemption that says 'unless you give up your weapon immediately upon entry' or something like that...
You are allowed to carry into the areas of common ingress and egress, which is where the storage lockers or check-in areas are at.

Jered

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:

You can't take a firearm into the secure area.

Wheelgunner

imported post

My Ex was a lawyer who would check her weapon at the Kent Regional Justice Center. You go in through the doors and there is a common area before you get to the court rooms which are on the second floor.

Pity they don't force the schools to do the same thing.

Misguided Child

imported post

I suspect all courthouses are in compliance. In Seattle for a while they were telling people they had to go down to the police station and check thier weapon before coming back but that has been fixed. They now have lockboxes right at the entrance. Note that it includes more then firearms, knives will be checked in, probabaly just in an envelope with your name on it.

In Everett 6 months ago I left the pistol at home since my CPL was expired. Had to check in the pocket knife. They ran a hand scanner over me, then had me remove my coat because it has metal zippers and a camera inside, she dropped my coat because the weight surprised her, then had me unzip my chaps so she could hand scan without those zips in the way.....And then opened up the cell phone and pushed a few buttons to make sure it was a working phone not a bomb. (While holding it in her hands!) They were very polite the whole time, and maybe the whole thinggoes easier if you show up in a suit instead of leathers.

Jered

imported post

My first quarter when I started at CWU we had a class at the Pierce County Law Library.

Ye gods, that mall ninja was incompetent.

Ravenhawk

imported post

Misguided Child wrote:
I suspect all courthouses are in compliance. In Seattle for a while they were telling people they had to go down to the police station and check thier weapon before coming back but that has been fixed. They now have lockboxes right at the entrance. Note that it includes more then firearms, knives will be checked in, probabaly just in an envelope with your name on it.

In Everett 6 months ago I left the pistol at home since my CPL was expired. Had to check in the pocket knife. They ran a hand scanner over me, then had me remove my coat because it has metal zippers and a camera inside, she dropped my coat because the weight surprised her, then had me unzip my chaps so she could hand scan without those zips in the way.....And then opened up the cell phone and pushed a few buttons to make sure it was a working phone not a bomb. (While holding it in her hands!) They were very polite the whole time, and maybe the whole thinggoes easier if you show up in a suit instead of leathers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxIjkBVEtyE

deanf

imported post

I suspect all courthouses are in compliance.

No, they're not. Pierce County District Court - Civil Division has no lockers and no place to check a gun. They have various excuses as to why they aren't in compliance.

nathan

imported post

The portion of the Clark County courthouse where the Sheriff office is housed doesn't have anyone at the door and no lock boxes but they do have a big sign saying No Weapons.

When I go back to get my 911 CD I might try OC'ing through the main entrance where the metal detectors and guards are.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on that? Thx

just_a_car

imported post

nathan wrote:
The portion of the Clark County courthouse where the Sheriff office is housed doesn't have anyone at the door and no lock boxes but they do have a big sign saying No Weapons.

When I go back to get my 911 CD I might try OC'ing through the main entrance where the metal detectors and guards are.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on that? Thx
Yeah, make sure to tell them they're in violation of state law if they don't allow you to check your firearm at the door.

heresolong

imported post

deanf wrote:
I suspect all courthouses are in compliance.

No, they're not. Pierce County District Court - Civil Division has no lockers and no place to check a gun. They have various excuses as to why they aren't in compliance.
I fought this with Blaine city some time back. I just kept sending them letters with the relevant state law outlined and requests to notify me when they would be in compliance with state law. They got pissed and they got it fixed. You check in with the secretary and she takes your gun.

Otherwise I would stop by on a regular basis to use the bathroom or something and ask them where you should leave your gun as you go in.