• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NOVA OC Dinner

vrwmiller

imported post

Anyone interested in heading to Tony's NY Pizza in Manassas City on the afternoon/evening of January 13?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Can't, Tonys told me not to come back with my gun, and I don't feel like getting a trespassing charge. Wouldn't give them another penny anyway.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You mean as a one-year anniversary? Wasn't it the 13th of January last year? I haven't verified the date.

After seeing the news reports in which the manager said patrons need't bring guns to Tony's, I have to admit I needn't bring my money either.

I'd be happy to join a group elsewhere in Manassas.

ufcfanvt

imported post

Just called Tony's really quickly. They said "It's OK as long as no one complains" :banghead:
Also mentioned something about coming when families aren't around would be best.
I love their place, but this is quite frustrating.
We might want to make some show of our disappointment.

Why don't we try some place new?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Gentlemen;

For perhaps the best pizza for about 40-50 miles around, I highly recommend Melting Pot Pizza in Front Royal. Believe me, this is really difference and super. It is not at all like the run-of-the-mill pizza. It is even cut differently.

Also, Joe's in Gainesville has decent pizza.

eyesopened

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Gentlemen;

For perhaps the best pizza for about 40-50 miles around, I highly recommend Melting Pot Pizza in Front Royal. Believe me, this is really difference and super. It is not at all like the run-of-the-mill pizza. It is even cut differently.

Also, Joe's in Gainesville has decent pizza.
Thanks for the tip! I ride through Front Royal and it's nice to have another place to eat. I'll have to check it out next time I'm in town.

vrwmiller

imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
Just called Tony's really quickly. They said "It's OK as long as no one complains" :banghead:
Also mentioned something about coming when families aren't around would be best.
I love their place, but this is quite frustrating.
We might want to make some show of our disappointment.

Why don't we try some place new?
This does sort of frustrate me. I've been to Tony's on several occassions OC'ing over the last year. Perhaps I will stop going there.

I am in favor of holding it elsewhere within the City of Manassas. As one poster stated earlier, it is the 1 year anniversary for the Tony's 7 incident. Foster's Grille, perhaps? They have never once said anything of our multiple get togethers there.

Then we can all stop by Tony's and give them our receipts...or mail them to them.

IanB

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
Then we can all stop by Tony's and give them our receipts...or mail them to them.
I'm ALL FOR THIS. We should walk in, one at a time and ask for the manager/owner. Simply hand him/her the reciept and explain that your money was spent elsewhere in Manassas because Tony's does not want you as a customer. Bid them a nice evening and leave. Next person walks in, etc. Or I guess it could be done as one large group.

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Let's take a second and think about the cliff we have jumped from here. We are bashing Tony's for not supporting us coming as a group. He has not put up signs or actively ejected anyone for carrying since the incident.

From a business standpoint you can imagine how he felt being the target of the police and the media. This created a storm of publicity and spin about his restaurant. I'm sure he's just trying to avoid the chaos of last time. I don't think he's trying to deny us, he's just doesn't want to be hasseled again.

When the incident happened, he was harassed and bullied by the police for letting people do what they are allowed. They had created such a scene that it upset other patrons who didn't care or notice before that the group was armed and I'm sure he heard about it. When the police and a group of people start having an animated discussion in a public place, the public is keenly aware of every cops episode they have seen where the police are about to be attacked.

Once the mainstream media got a hold of the story, Tony and his managers had to keep being interupted from their work just to talk to reporters and concerned people.

If Tony wanted to trample or limit our rights, he could simply post the establishment and only allow officers to carry (again we would be 2nd class). He has not taken these actions that I am aware of, nor does it sound like he really wants to kick anyone carrying out.

The coming when families are not there is likely carryover from the whitewashed police encounter. For the safety of the families and children is one of the many lines the officers abused him with.

The really sad thing about the entire situation is that it was not an issue with the establishment, nor the owner, but the overzealous and ignorant officers that responded. If the police hadn't turned it into the scene it became, this would have never been an issue. Please put yourself in his shoes of having been harasses, abused, and now boycotted because of actions of a group of his largest patrons (unfortunately).

We need to remember that we may not want to completely write Tony's off because if we put ourselves in his shoes we might be able to understand his cautious remarks. I think he's more afraid of the MCPD overreacting again than anything. Maybe look at one of the other locations in the county.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

coltcarrier may be on to something. Maybe we should eat right outside Manassas, and send our receipts to Mayor Waldron and Chief Skinner.

ufcfanvt

imported post

I agree that the MCPD caused this and Tony's is just trying to do the best thing for business and hasn't really gone out of their way to make us 2nd class.
I was thinking more on the lines of a formal petition or simply having all of us go in on our own time, handing the manager a card stating that we want a guarantee that we won't be ejected in the future. Really suttle like ;) Again, I like the place a lot.

Now what I would like to do is find out if there is a restaurant that the MCPD frequents, we could go there and see if we get ejected. If so, boycott it, possibly protesting. Bring the problem to MCPD since they originally brought it to us.

Anyone know where Manassas cops go to hang out?

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tony's in Bristow just opened not long ago. We could check out that location and if we are asked to leave, there are plenty of other places near by or further up toward gainsville.

Xeni

imported post

My available freetime on the weekends may be opening up fairly soon. If something happens in the NoVA area on the 13th I should be available. Are we allowed to bring guests?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Xeni wrote:
My available freetime on the weekends may be opening up fairly soon. If something happens in the NoVA area on the 13th I should be available. Are we allowed to bring guests?
Not only allowed, but encouraged! :D

vrwmiller

imported post

Everybody has valid points. So, I guess it boils down to this...

Do we want to do this simply as a get-together or as a Tony's 7 anniversary celebration?

If we simply just want to do it as a get-together, then the venue probably makes little difference. However, if we want to do this as sort of a anniversary celebration where pro-activists stood up for their rights, then I think somewhere within the Manassas area (whether it be within the city limits or out) would be most appropriate.

I suggested Tony's since it was the site where the entire debacle took place. However, it sounds as if the 7 who participated that evening would be tresspassing. If we want to celebrate this time, it wouldn't be right not to include those folks.

Additionally, do we want to make a political statement? Do we want to provide our receipts to either Tony's or the Manassas City council? If we want to make a statement directed at Tony's, I'd prefer to stay within the city limits. If we want to make a statement to the Manassas City council, perhaps a location just outside of Manassas would be more appropriate. Perhaps it can be a two-pronged approach where we send receipts to Tony's and Manassas City.

I understand the point about Tony's being a business and not wanting to drive away business for any reason, but they operate a business out of the freedoms protected by our constitution. Surely, it's not too much to ask that the exercising of our rights are not discriminated against simply because someone might be scared of a small black gun on someone's belt. Of course, Tony's wouldn't have been an issue if the MCPD didn't make a scene of the whole deal. Nor would it have been an issue if a former-marine hadn't called 911 because he'd never seen anything like it.

There are plenty of places in and out of the Manassas City limits to grab a bite. Someone mentioned a Tony's in Bristow. In the same shopping center, there is also a Foster's Grille. There's another Tony's restaraunt on Sudley Manor Dr in Bull Run Plaza. We can choose 5 Guys in Manassas City. Heck, we've even hit the IHOP in Manassas on multiple occassions. Some of these places are within the city limits, some without...

I'm not picky, but I suggested it as a celebration of those individuals that stood up for our rights as citizens that evening. Therefore, I would suggest a location in the area of Manassas.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

We could do Tony's and this time I can be the disgruntled retired Marine....:cuss:. I could eat my mealand then call 911 from the parking lot. We could then see if MCPD has learned anything during the past year.

Just a thought;)

Mr. Y

Super Secret Squirrel Bunker, Virginia, USA
imported post

If you want to "make a statement" why not get together as a group, go to the Manasshole PD station and make a gun lock donation. Nothing at all untoward about that and you'd be performing a civic duty as well as making a contribution to it as well as getting rid of unnecessary clutter in your own homes. Then, when we've all made a donation, take our tax money out of Manassas proper and eat somewhere else.

Definitely keep the receipt and definitely send it to Tonys. Enclose a copy of the receipt with a polite letter advising that they can have our business once we're welcome to dine without fear of malicious complainants frivolously calling the cops.

eyesopened

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
There's another Tony's restaraunt on Sudley Manor Dr in Bull Run Plaza. We can choose 5 Guys in Manassas City.
I've eaten at that Tony's. It's not as good as the Tony's on Mathis. For the good of the group, I do NOT recommend the Tony's in Bull Run Plaza. I ate there thinking they were the same chain, but the food doesn't taste anything alike. The sauce tasetes like they opened up a can of sauce from Aldi's...

vrwmiller

imported post

Mr. Y wrote:
If you want to "make a statement" why not get together as a group, go to the Manasshole PD station and make a gun lock donation. Nothing at all untoward about that and you'd be performing a civic duty as well as making a contribution to it as well as getting rid of unnecessary clutter in your own homes. Then, when we've all made a donation, take our tax money out of Manassas proper and eat somewhere else.

Definitely keep the receipt and definitely send it to Tonys. Enclose a copy of the receipt with a polite letter advising that they can have our business once we're welcome to dine without fear of malicious complainants frivolously calling the cops.
For the record, I am not so much for "making a statement" as I am for celebrating the individuals that stood up for theirs and our rights that night and at the resulting events. The original intent was to celebrate that, everything else is secondary.