• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

w00h00, Springfield XD!!!!

cut_cutta

imported post

About a week ago, my car got broken into, and coincedentally, it was the 1 night of my life that I left my firearm in it (locked and concealed, of course). Got the matter taken care of with the police (they were very helpful), and decided I needed to get a new gun! The one that was stolen wasnt a huge loss, it was a cheap Hi-point C9. I decided to buy a 4" service model Springfield XD with the stainless slide.

I got the gun last weekend, and it's an awesome gun, but the holster that comes with the gun is garbage. So I ordered a carbon fiber finish Blackhawk CQC Serpa. Hopefully I'll get it soon... Does anybody else have any of the Serpa holsters??? I figure if I dont like it, I'll get a fobus paddle, I really liked my last one, just wish it had more active retention.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

I carry a NEAR identical rig (4'' compact model,all black, with all black SERPA holster) and it's perfect for open carry. You're going to enjoy it a lot.

Misguided Child

imported post

I carry my Sig 229 in the carbon fiber CQC, I like the holster but it does take some getting used to. I usually carried CC with IWB holsters and a smaller pistol so this one really sticks out there and runs into everything, chair arms, seatbelt buckles etc... On the motorcycle and when walking around though it is great. It holds the pistol securely and allows a very fast draw.

krazichinaman

imported post

I carry a .45 ACP service in DE. I carry it in my black serpa holster 90% of the time. It is truely a great holster. Never once has my pistol fallen out when I worked in the warehouse. It has got caught a few times and nearly thrown me to the ground because it wouldn't budge. If you decide to carry a spare mag,I highly suggest black hawks mag holsters as well. You can pick them up locally at Quantico Arms in Lakewood.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

cut_cutta wrote:
About a week ago, my car got broken into, and coincedentally, it was the 1 night of my life that I left my firearm in it (locked and concealed, of course). Got the matter taken care of with the police (they were very helpful), and decided I needed to get a new gun! The one that was stolen wasnt a huge loss, it was a cheap Hi-point C9. I decided to buy a 4" service model Springfield XD with the stainless slide.

I got the gun last weekend, and it's an awesome gun, but the holster that comes with the gun is garbage. So I ordered a carbon fiber finish Blackhawk CQC Serpa. Hopefully I'll get it soon... Does anybody else have any of the Serpa holsters??? I figure if I dont like it, I'll get a fobus paddle, I really liked my last one, just wish it had more active retention.

I have the same setup in black on black. I use my SERPA in the shoulder rig currently, which I'm having some minor issues with, so I'm considering switching it back to being belt worn until it feels more secure on my chest, but overall, the holster is a great system.

I've used the Fobus as well and much prefer the CQC's locking retention over the friction on the Fobus.

molonlabetn

imported post

Sorry about your loss... but the result was positive. You ended up with a better gun that you are happy with, and nobody got hurt. That's what insurance is for.

I have owned 4 XDs (currently a 4" XD-357 and a 5" XD-9). I use my Blackhawk Serpa holster almost exclusively. It's smooth and durable (It's been abused plenty without fail for the past 3 years). Iintend to get another one just to have a spare.

just_a_car

imported post

I carry my G27 in my SERPA CQC Carbon Fiber holster both OC and CC and have very few problems with concealing with it. I love the holster and have had very few times that it actually banged into things and that's when I wasn't paying attention to where I was going or sitting down.

heresolong

imported post

Misguided Child wrote:
On the motorcycle ...
So far I haven't open carried on the motorcycle cause I just have a Fobus and I am nervous about the gun flying out on the highway. I like the fact that I could reach across and pull out the gun with my left hand if needed however. The Blackhawk's one handedness seems to me to be a bit of a concern. (Not that I have ever needed to pull my gun with any hand ever in my whole life, but you never know, right?)

cut_cutta

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
I carry a NEAR identical rig (4'' compact model,all black, with all black SERPA holster) and it's perfect for open carry. You're going to enjoy it a lot.
Right on. I would have probably opted for the compact model because it can basically be a service model, or the compact model, depending on the magazine (and extender). However they don't currently make the compact with a stainless slide. At first I thought the slides were different, but later I think I heard that they are interchangable between the compacts and service. This means if I want a compact 4" with a stainless slide, I could either buy a 4" compact black on black, and swap the slides, or I could chop the grip on the service model (probably easier said than done, LOL).

In reality though, I hardly ever deeply conceal (to the point where I'd be concerned about printing). I open carry a lot of the time, but even if it sticks out a little while in my shoulder holster or semi-covered by a shirt on my hip, its not like somebody is going to DEMAND that I lift my shirt to prove to them I dont have a gun. I highly doubt a store would ask me to leave based on a perceived "print", and if they demanded that I lift my shirt, I would say that would be forcing me to brandish, and then sue them if they put their hands on me or anything. Worst comes to worst, I'd just have to leave... boo hoo :p.

On top of that, I have heard some problems with the extender for the compact with the 13 rd mag getting knocked out of place and not seating the magazine correctly during reloads... Also, I love the fact that it has 13 rds in the service, doubt I'd ever want to opt for 10. Other than the fact that the compact XD is so damn sexy, the service model suits me well LOL.

On a side note (and back on topic), I had ordered my holster off of opticsplanet.com, where they have the carbon fiber finished holster for $40 including shipping. Too bad i received an email today saying that they are out of stock!! I could try my luck on ordering a black one (for $35, shipped), or go to Sportsmans Warehouse to buy a black one, but I really want the carbon fiber finish, it will match my bitone peice perfectly.. Guess I'll have to endure the crappy XD gear holster for another couple weeks while I wait.

Misguided Child

imported post

The motorcycle is the reason I bought the Blackhawk Serpa, I was afraid the vibration would loosen the gun in any holster that just used friction for retention. It has worked fine, very comfortable.

Cue-Ball

imported post

I also have a 4" XD and recently bought myself a Blackhawk Serpa (level 2). Overall, I like the holster a lot. But there are some things about it that I don't like. It stands out a lot further from my body than my leather holster does. That's not a big problem when OCing, but its much more difficult to conceal if you should choose to. Also, I've found it uncomfortable during long drives. I ended up using my leather holster during a road trip this past weekend. Also, the gun rocks back and forth a bit in the Serpa. During fast walks or when using stairs it makes a clicking noise as the gun moves in the holster.

I also made a modification to my Serpa and ground down the little tab at the bottom of the paddle with a dremel. That thing made it damn near impossible to remove the holster. I bought the paddle version specifically so that I could take it on and off at will and that little "claw" at the bottom made it counter-productive.

I'm actually thinking about doing some further modification to the holster by chopping it and plastic welding it so that it fits more closely to the body. I just have to see if the plastic is such that it will withstand the welding and remain strong.

John Hardin

imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:
I also made a modification to my Serpa and ground down the little tab at the bottom of the paddle with a dremel. That thing made it damn near impossible to remove the holster.
erm...

That's one reason it's called a "retention holster". :) It's not much good at retention if a BG can grab the gun + holster and just lift it right off your belt.

John Hardin

imported post

Pay_Lay_Ale wrote:
I love my XD. I bought one (a 9mm) 4 years ago. My only complaint is that it's not a .40.:banghead: I need to sell my 9mm and get a .40.
Check with Springfield - you might just need to get a .40 barrel and mag, the rest of the frame might be the same dimensions. (...or I might have the .40 / .357 SIG interchangeability in mind...)

Cue-Ball

imported post

John Hardin wrote:
Cue-Ball wrote:
I also made a modification to my Serpa and ground down the little tab at the bottom of the paddle with a dremel. That thing made it damn near impossible to remove the holster.
erm...

That's one reason it's called a "retention holster". :) It's not much good at retention if a BG can grab the gun + holster and just lift it right off your belt.
There are already two tabs which grab the belt from underneath. A third "claw" on the paddle isn't necessary. Even with the tab on the paddle ground down you have to push down on the holster, pull the muzzle end away from your body, then lift the whole thing out. If someone can do that, then take the gun out of the holster, then shoot me before I can react, then I probably deserve to get shot.

cut_cutta

imported post

murphyslaw wrote:
I love my XD45ACP service and carry it in a CQC, I thought i heard about a recall on some of the carbon fiber ones...

If i'm not wrong, I believe that ALL of the CQC serpa holsters are made out of carbon fiber, but only some have it showing, the rest are matte black. Also I think that the recall was for both of them, some units apparently shipped with a wrong peice that make the guns very loose when in the holster. If you contact blackhawk and tell them the prob, they will send you a replacement pin for free that fixes the problem.

As for the post about converting 9mm to .40, that's not possible. According to some other sources on the internet (XDtalk.com), "You can't go from 9mm to .357 sig or .40 because the case head on those cases is larger so the 9mm slide will have a small breach." You *CAN* convert from .40 to 9mm, or from 40 to .357. Sorry to dissapoint you...

Cue-Ball

imported post

cut_cutta wrote:
murphyslaw wrote:
I love my XD45ACP service and carry it in a CQC, I thought i heard about a recall on some of the carbon fiber ones...

If i'm not wrong, I believe that ALL of the CQC serpa holsters are made out of carbon fiber, but only some have it showing, the rest are matte black.
I don't think that is correct. The carbon fiber appears to be an insert while the matte holsters are just plain plastic. I looked at both in-store when I bought mine, and I've also examined mine extensively. My matte black holster is definitely not carbon fiber. It's plain old plastic (albeit very strong, durable plastic).