• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry while active duty military

dundonrl

imported post

I know that open carry is legal in Nevada, but for those that ask, would my active duty military ID card calm people down if asked why I'm open carrying?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

dundonrl wrote:
I know that open carry is legal in Nevada, but for those that ask, would my active duty military ID card calm people down if asked why I'm open carrying?
I would never present an active duty military card as indecia of any privilege to carry - this might get you in big trouble. While you might choose to optionally show a mil ID to an LEO who requests to see ID, running around presenting your ID on purpose is a no go.

Why on earth are you going to try to calm anyone down? Why would anyone need to be calmed down? Whay would you linger in any area where people were aroused to fright over your presence? Just go about your business and you will be fine.

Erus

imported post

I completely agree with Mike here. In Nevada, we can OC, and if asked by an LEO we have to show ID. Other than that, any "extra" thing to show or prove we have the right to carry a firearm is just a bad idea. There are already more than enough people out there who feel only a certain "class" of people (ie leo, military, etc.) should beALLOWED the "privledge" and/or "responsibility" of RTKBA. We don't need to offer them ANY supporting acceptance of that mindset.

Not to pick on you, but feels kinda likethose sillyCC badges. Don't need it, don't use it.

Erus

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Point of clarification. You do not need to show ANYONE identification unless you're behind the wheel of a vehicle, and then only to LEO. If you're walking down the street, you can not be required to show identification.

Erus

imported post

timf343 wrote:
Point of clarification. You do not need to show ANYONE identification unless you're behind the wheel of a vehicle, and then only to LEO. If you're walking down the street, you can not be required to show identification.

Thank you, point is correct, though you do have to verbally identify yourself (name and DOB and address) to LEO if asked, regardless of in or out of vehicle. (but watch many many LEO's "demand" "offically issued" ID << PAPERS, PLEASE!>>even if you are not driving a car.)

Erus

Desert Rat

imported post

Active/Reserve Military may only carry in uniform and in performance of official duty. In all other cases Military folks fall under the standard rules that apply to the general population.

Decoligny

imported post

Desert Rat wrote:
Active/Reserve Military may only carry in uniform and in performance of official duty. In all other cases Military folks fall under the standard rules that apply to the general population.

I think you have it a little bit off there.

Active/Reserve Military, in uniform, may only carry in performance of official duty.

When off duty and not in uniform, the Military members are regular citizens and fall under the same rules as the general population

Decoligny, TSgt, USAF, Retired

LEO 229

imported post

If you do show me your ID on "request" (not demand) I would prefer to see your military ID. It lets me know that you are trained in firearms and a defender of our country.

It is going to make me feel a little at ease since military are checked out to a certain degree as many obtain a security clearance.

We all know that ANY citizen can carry and not have a lick of training. Not that it makes a difference when being approached by a cop.

But remember too that if you are identified as military and your conduct is unbecoming you could be punished by the military.

Funny thing in the Military and LEO jobs... But are expected to act professional on and off duty. ;)