• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

High school speech

reefteach

imported post

If you have room, adding something about how every individual is responsible for their own safety would be nice. Gonzales v Castle Rock is a good supreme court case which stated that even if the police issue a restraining order, the responsibility of safety still lies with the individual. Cops can't, and shouldn't be everywhere all the time. They are only for maintaining general order in society. When seconds count, help is minutes away.

Firearms level the playing field against predators.

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

Many people have raised concern regarding what has become known as the “gun show loophole”, and these concerns are justified. The fact that gun shows are exempt from almost all regulations is horrifying. Even if you do not believe in gun control, it is hardly disputable that this should be fixed if for no other reason than to uphold the law. Fortunately for us, no such loophole exists.

I'd change 'fact' to 'belief', as it is more in line with your statement immediately afterwards about how no loophole actually exists.

Also, mass public shoottings still happened before gun free zones, they just weren't covered nearly as extensively, and they *may* have been less common (although I'm not sure about that), same with shootings in schools (also, the nationalmedia usually ignores it when shoottings happen in minortiy schools, they usually only report on the suburban white crazies; although admittly most minority school shootings are gang related, while the crazy whities usually don't have any previous record of violence before they go shoot up the place). So before careful with what you say about free kill zones, otherwise it makes people doubt your whole speech if you make just a few errors (especially large ones).