• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry for active duty military

dundonrl

imported post

Howdy.. being active duty Navy (16+ yr veteran) and being active duty you are always on duty, even if on leave (vacation) I wonder how the Oregon LEO's would respond to my open carrying a handgun into public places?

(I'm an Oregon resident, stationed in Elko Nevada as a Navy Recruiter)

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Why would they treat you any differently than anyone else? I'd be weary about wearing any sort of military uniform while open carrying, but other than that....

dundonrl

imported post

well, because of the statue 166.250 which is unlawful posession of a firearm, and 166.260 that tells who's exempt from 166.250..

I'm active duty Navy, and I don't have a CCW..

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

dundonrl wrote:
I don't have a CCW.
CCW? huh? That acronym makes no sense and we should all stop using it - confuses the general public and sounds nonesensical.

You mean "Oregon Concealed Handgun License."

Without a CHL, you may only open carry; unless a local ordinance bans carry, in which case you don't carry.

Recondo

imported post

I'm active duty Army and am stationed in OR. Your military status has NO bearing what so ever on most LEO's here, because a vast majority of them are or have been in the military in one form or another in their lives, and know howthe militaryis. They also have thecommon sense to know that unless you are deployed, or transporting something that requires you to be armed on specific orders (weapons, or explosives),you don't need to carry, unless youdo it legally and follow city/ state statutes, given the fact you are on leave, will be in civilian attire, and not on an official mission, they won't buy the active military story.Getting a CHL is fairly simple, a little time consuming, yes, but worth the peace of mind, and with your background, I'm sure it would get approved as easily as mine did.

USMC91E6

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Also, you can't transport your privately owned weapon in any shape or form onto base, unless specifically approved by the base CO - such as living in base housing inside the gates like I used to. Kind of fun going through the gate with as many as 10 weapons going to the shooting range just hoping to get the random search :)
It all depends on the base. Here at Camp Lejeune in NC we cantransport our privitely owned firearms in our privitely owned vehicles if the firearm and ammo is seperate and the firearm is locked in a solid case. Its Base Order 5500.1G

blackshadow2805

imported post

Lol when i was in the air force, we let the gate guards know we had a .22 rifle in the back with the chamber open and the mag in the glove comparment and they freaked! I was. and to the most cops in oregon are ex military? where did you come up with that? all the ones i have meet where never military because they hassle me all the time cause i was. even more when i was home on leave and used my military id when they asked me for id, they said it wasnt vaild id... so maybe the town you live in is around a army base by chance?? that would make sense. anyways they would probley just ask for id if someone called 911. but good luck :)