• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock kB?

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

I was reading some stuff on the internet last night because I have nothing better to do and came across a bunch of stories of Glocks going KaBoom. There were all sorts of explanations and it seems that it is almost always blamed on reloaded ammo or overpressure ammo. Some say that it is the unsupported chamber in the pistol. However, most of these stories are about the .40 S&W guns. I know its kind of old news that they had a problem a few years back with that, but I was also reading some stuff about the .45 ACP. Anybody else hear about this phenomenon? I have 3 Glocks with many thousands of rounds through them and never had so much as a hiccup out of them. I also heard that Glock are tested at the factory with submachinegun ammo. Any truth? Please just respond about the subject mentioned and not how you hate Glocks and you're a fan of this or that, please. I don't want to start a war here.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, this is always a touchy subject. I was curious about this and did some research about it online a while back. It does seem that the Glock .40s have a disproportionate total number of kBs and I have read about some in Glock .45s as well. I have only seen one about a 9mm model. On the other hand, given how prolific they are, I still wonder what the rate of kBs is for them - I'm guessing pretty darn low. Also, the matter of Glock claiming it is all the fault of the ammo seems to be common practice, although I have read about them occuring with factory ammo freshly chambered out of the box (according to the gun owner that is). Comparing Glocks side by side with some other semi-autos, I can see how certain design characteristics (to my non-armorer's eye) might increase the likelihood of a kB with problematic ammo, especially the partially unsupported chamber combined with the feed ramp resting on the magazine lip rather than the locking block. In ammo situations which cause above normal pressurization or unusual pressurization, whether due to bullet set-back from multiple chamberings, overloading the powder, bad brass, etc., it would seem that the Glocks may have increased risk due to a lesser ability to contain the pressure within the chamber than some other brands. Now this wouldn't apply to the 9mm models as to the best of my knowledge they all have fully supported chambers and it is apparently a higher risk in .40 cal due to the higher pressure cartridge.

All that being said, I still come back to the issue of the rate of failure. Every firearm manufacturer, like any other manufacturer, has sold a lemon. The Glock models have had evolutions and improvements within models as do most manufactured goods when improvements are designed. But darnit, there are a bunch of them out there and given how rarely a kB does occur, it has to be in a miniscule percentage of the pistols sold, Glock models or otherwise. I do not own any Glock's as I prefer other brands and models for various reasons, but they are obviously good weapons overall. Every firearm has it's strengths and weaknesses, pros and cons, so, while there may be a slightly increased risk of a kB with a Glock .40 cal, I expect (if we had the numbers to check) that increased risk is not very significant. But I always leave open the possibility that I am completely wrong about all of this. :dude:

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

There may be a small percentage of Glock .40's that could be prone to failure, but I've never seen or heard of one happening locally. I tend to recommend Glocks, due to their simplicity of operation (for an auto) and once someone is proficient in handling a firearm safely, there's no need for an "idiot switch" on the gun.

In other words, I wouldn't let the miniscule number of supposed KB's negate choosing a Glock .40, if otherwise the gun fit the bill of what I was after.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I'm of the mind that the kB problem comes from the firing of reloads that were fired in glocks previously. If the bulge/weak spot left by the unsupported chamber lines up in the unsupported spot again you get a blowout. Fortunately most kBs in Glocks seem to be mild as failures go, never heard of a serious injury and I think if you shoot new ammo one will never have this problem. I've seen revolvers and 1911s with more spectacular and dangerous kBs.

Heres what a typical Glock kB looks like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vceh44UK-8I

Keith

imported post

Glocks are pieces of crap. They are cheaply made. Polymer is a a deteriorating substance that doesn't last forever. All Glock needs to do is to redesign his gun but he won't.

Keith

imported post

Also, I have a friend who shot factory loads, Winchester White Box ammo in 2 Glock 19's and they both blew up. Mind you these were 9mm's and not 40's. So much for the theory of high pressure rounds. By the way a 9mm is a high pressured round. Spend a little extra money and buy a Sig.

IanB

imported post

Keith,

Interesting way to introduce yourself. Your post count is "2" and you're already using inappropriate language. We work very hard to keep this board informative, on topic, and mature. While sometimes it is necessary and appropriate to use words like "crap", it probably wasn't the case in your above post.

And, truth be told... even a mediocre 1911 is better than a Sig.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
What is submachinegun ammo?
I have never heard of or read about any ammo that was specific to submachineguns...the term "sub" refers to caliber in that all "subguns" use pistol calibers....."machineguns" use rifle calibers.

As to OP....it may be that Glocks have a higher failure rate, compared to other makers, because so many are used as the standard issue duty weapon for LE agencies/militaries all over the world where "bullet set back" is more likely to happen. Even though these "set back" rounds may have never caused a KB while in "issue service", they may have weakened critical areas that cause it to happen later.....after it has been traded in and sold to the public.

I have no proof of this scenario.....just a thought to throw out there.

Keith

imported post

You may think a 1911 is better than a Sig. A 1911 is battle proven model. It however is only 7 shots so there is limited use of it. ASig has a matchgrade barrel that makes them extremely accurate. As for the word crap it is not inappropriate language. Would you like for me to say that it is a dangerous handgun to use as quite a few people have already been either killed or badly hurt when the Glock 19's have blown up on people which deems the Glock a plastic frame gun an unreliable handgun?

bbvk05

imported post

Keith wrote:
Glocks are pieces of crap. They are cheaply made. Polymer is a a deteriorating substance that doesn't last forever. All Glock needs to do is to redesign his gun but he won't.

Polymer will last longer than metal, I guarantee it. What you gain in light weight is worth it even if I am wrong.

I say this having had a KB in a glock 22. Blew my magazine out. the cartridge was the cause by the way. It did not fail in the "weak spot" everyone talks about, it split from the front back.

Ive also had KB in an bushmaster AR-15 and SW 639 9mm, in which the chambers split, as in a weapon failure.

I trust glock more than any other gun I own/ ever have owned for shot. Its the only brand I have have had only 1 problem with after tons of shooting. BTW, glock gave me a whole new gun (had damaged the trigger assem. too) even though it was clearly not their fault, i told them it was not their fault, and the gun was out of warranty.

Keith

imported post

Well...........no hickups or blowups may be an okay thing but just because police departments have them as their handguns doesn't make them a good thing. The gun companies will often put in bidsto sell guns to agencies and the cheapest bidder wins. Glock sells their exploding pistols for less than $200.00. Wow, what a deal.They are ugly guns. People forget what a good and beautiful is. If you take a Glock apart the parts are extremely small and cheap. Glock would make a great booby trap gun.

Keith

imported post

If you think polymer will last longer then metal then you are in denial. Ultra violet sun light breaks down polymer and in 20 yearsr so you have a piece of junk. Hey, a Glock junkie? What a novel idea. lol

Plastic will never be stronger than metal. I wonder if this letter makes me a Glock basher.

bbvk05

imported post

The oxygen in air and water in the air breaks down metal my friend. Now ask yourself... is my metal gun exposed to air and water in the air more or less than my polymer gun is exposed to UV light... no brainer.

Properly cared for, Polymer will last longer than metal.

totally neglected and left out in the sun... polymer will still last longer than metal, as metal will totally rust out in a year or two.

In between? you call it but I dont care I take care of my guns.

I greatly prefer the quality craftmanship of a fine metal and wood gun. I want no plastic at all anywhere on my guns or cars for that matter. Finer craftmanship, greater beauty. 1911's look totally sweet when done right. much better looking than a glock.

but my glock shoots better. it doesnt jam. I dont have to worry about a fussy gun not feeding this Hollow point or that soft nose. I dont have to worry about mag capacity. I dont have to worry that a slightly dirty gun wont feed every 4th shot. I dont have to worry. It goes bang every single time the trigger is pulled and 1911's, sigs (in my xp) and everything else dont. Thats the end all for me. Function over looks any day.

And polymer makes it light weight which I totally love.

If you are right I have to buy a new totally reliable gun every 5-10 years, and keep my good looking guns as safe queens, right?

If I am right your gun jams when you need it, isnt designed for HP ammo, jams, still rusts out, jams, looks great, jams... and you carry it.

FightingGlock19

imported post

I may want to be careful. I have two Glock 19's & both have over 15,000 rounds thru them (each). I have yet to have a jam, failure to feed, malfunction, anything of the type. I can say I've never came anywhere close to a "kB," so I may want to be careful, huh?

btw, 1911's have unsupported chambers, too :p

Keith

imported post

If you are bent on owning Glocks then that sounds like a personal problem to me. Do some research and find out why Glocks were never adopted by the armed forces. Do what the Secret Service does and putyour Glock in an oven at 250 degrees for twenty minutes and see if it will still work. Sigs will stand this test.

FightingGlock19

imported post

Keith wrote:
A Glock isn't a 1911 and a 1911 isn't a Glock.

that's right. Glocks work & 1911's don't :celebrate

*edit - oh, Glocks weren't adopted by the US armed forces because the contracts require the manufacture to release patten information. Glock didn't need the money that bad.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mustangs are better than camaros! Yeah, but Trans Ams are better than Mustangs. OH yeah? Well a WRX has all wheel drive and it is better off the line and it has a turbo model that ... oh, wrong forum. But wait! It's the same kind of argument.

I love my XD, I also love my Sig. I really, really want a 1911. I'm enjoying learning about my new (to me) Fratelli Tranfoglio (FIE) .380. I also like my other handguns and my shotguns and my rifle and look forward to acquiring some new firearms this year. I don't plan on acquiring any Glocks because of personal preference, not because I think they are crummy weapons.

Oh, and why the heck would I ever need my sidearm to stand up to 250° F for 20 minutes? It is either on me, next to me or in the safe. If it is at that temperature so am I and I don't think I can survive that for 20 minutes so it really doesn't matter if my pistol does or not.

massltca

imported post

This argument is so assinine. Glock's and 1911's are both high quality firearms, both have their pros and cons. Use what you like. Why is it necessary to bash someone else's choice of gun just because it differs from your own? :banghead: