• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock kB?

41 Magnum

imported post

OK, back to the original question:

The glock, specifically in 40, ended up with a bad reputation for KABOOMS. Most likely for three specific reasons:

1. The 40 is a high pressure round. It's short and fat. Therefore, any bullet set back REALLY cuts down on actual case capacity.

2. They are used extensively by LE folks for duty weapons. Folks that come home, drop the magazine, empty the chamber, and put the gun up. Then before next shift starts, you put in the mag, load the gun, then drop the mag, top it off(with the bullet that was chambered all last shift) and reinsert the mag. Doing this, unless you make it a point to rotate the ammo in your mag, means that those top 2rounds get chambered over and over and over. This leads to set-back eventually.

3. FACT: When the above mentioned set back occurs, and firing pressure rises, where will the case fail? Right in the unsupported area of the chamber.

It's not the guns fault that the round is over-pressure. But that is a definite weak spot in that firearm.

Moral of the story? CHECK ALL of your carry/duty ammo EVERY TIME you load up and head out.

41 Magnum

imported post

Forgot about the second part of your question regarding sub-gun ammo.

Submachineguns, speciffically in 9mm, run ammo that is rated as +p+, pressure wise. So using sub gun ammo to test a 9mm is no different than usinga proof load in any other caliber like most manufacturers do anyway.

It just sounds cooler when you state it the other way.

Schofield

imported post

Deepdiver and 41 Magnum are both right about the reasons for Glocks blowing up in .40 S&W. Unfortunately, due to design deficiencies, this happened in .40 Glocks more than other pistols before they fixed it somewhat. The chamber is still unsupported however so it's not that great fo reloading. :?

The M1911 is a damn reliable pistol as long as you don't do stupid things to it. The problem with a lot of modern M1911s is everything's been cranked down and tightened up to make them more and more accurate (supposedly) and it can make them jam like any pistol. Browning designed the M1911 to do one thing: Shoot .45 ACP hardball from a controlled-feed magazine with acceptable accuracy at pistol ranges. Not fire high pressure hollowpoints from a direct-feed magazine through a bull barrel with a tight bushing. The fact that the M1911 is the most produced semi-automatic handgun in history and that it's been modified to do so many other things is testament to the abuse Browning's design can take.

Submachinegun ammo is, as .41 Magnum said, ammunition with a higher pressure rating sending that little europellet slug out at a higher velocity. It first showed up regulary for the Czech's SMGs, I believe, in 7.62x25mm (.30 TT). What the Czechs did was build a pistol capable of taking their higher pressure ammo (the CZ 52)... But then they made even hotter ammo for use in only their SMGs. Sometimes one of these cartridges will show up in the normal pistol loads and it's usually what blows up a CZ 52. It's not a design flaw in the pistol but the ridiculously overloaded factory ammo. Why you always check every surplus cartridge you fire. ;) - Schofield

Resqu2

imported post

Keith wrote:Would you like for me to say that it is a dangerous handgun to use as quite a few people have already been either killed or badly hurt when the Glock 19's have blown up on people which deems the Glock a plastic frame gun an unreliable handgun?

Keith, PLEASE show me just one account of someone getting killed by an exploding Glock, Just one verifiable news account is all that I ask of you???

Eagleeye

imported post

Schofield wrote:
Deepdiver and 41 Magnum are both right about the reasons for Glocks blowing up in .40 S&W. Unfortunately, due to design deficiencies, this happened in .40 Glocks more than other pistols before they fixed it somewhat. The chamber is still unsupported however so it's not that great fo reloading. :?

Incorrect, the newer Glocks (model 22 in particular) now have a fully supported chamber.
(I know because I have one)

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Eagleeye wrote:
Schofield wrote:

Incorrect, the newer Glocks (model 22 in particular) now have a fully supported chamber.
(I know because I have one)
That's good to know. That puts Glocks back in the "possible" category as my fiancee looks for her personal defensive firearm (she isn't getting my West German P228 forever without a fight). Thanks for the updated info, Eagleeye.

Forty-five

imported post

41 Magnum wrote:
OK, back to the original question:

...They are used extensively by LE folks for duty weapons. Folks that come home, drop the magazine, empty the chamber, and put the gun up...
Is this typical, i.e., unloading when coming home.

Eagleeye

imported post

My only Beef with Glocks is the way you have to Dissasemble them.

Empty Chamber > Tripple Check Chamber is Empty > Point in Safe Direction > Pull Trigger :shock: > Pull Slide Back 1/4" > Engage Takedown Slide/Lever/Button > Push slide forward and off the rails.

If you get it wrong you have to start over.

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

I have never heard of any firearm/rifle that hasn't malfunctioned in some way or another including the KB's.For example Berretta's have gained ahorrible rep, but have since refined the slide's and have introduced new models made stronger than before. All models(like cars) have lemons, including M1911's. The only firearm I own that hasn't malfunctioned ever is my 1949 Tokarev TT-33. The only ammo I've used in it is a white box Winchester NATO round. Reloading handgun ammo is a science, and has to be done under great care. Any mishap in this process will cause the round to malfunction. Yes, guns KABOOM! Thiscan becaused by a round from either the factory or a reload. Glock technology is new compared to the 1911,so your bound to have some problems. Sig's/Kimber 1911's are great, but in my opinion not worth the money.

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

My point about the Tokarev which is a copy of Brownings 1911 technology is that firearms manufactured in this era (pre WWIIandpostKorea prior to Vietnam) have withstood the test of time. Even though auto-loaders were a new (revolutionary) technology at the time the steel used, and pain-staking care in the manufacturing process will never be matched. These firearms were assembled by people who knew that their efforts would determine the fate of theirnations. Forgive me for my tangent.