• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti-Military Lawyer Damages Marine's Car on Eve of Deployment. From Neal Boortz

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2007/12/anti-military-l.html

NOTE: There is an important update about the hearing today at the end of the post.
This ought to make your blood boil. And this Marine should receive a commendation for not kicking the living crap out of the guy...seriously.
Marine Sgt Mike McNulty is on activation orders to Iraq (second tour). On December 1st, 2007, Mike went to visit a friend in Chicago before deploying to say goodbye. In order to get to his friend's residence, and keep in mind that Chicago is a myriad of diagonal and one-way streets, the front entrance (right way) to the one-way street was blocked. Mike, being a Marine, overcame and adapted by driving around the block to the other end of the street and backing up all the way to his friend's place.
While saying goodbye, at about 11am, he noticed a man leaning up against his car. Mike left his friend's apartment and caught the man keying his car on multiple sides.
After caught in the process, the man told Mike, "you think you can do whatever you want with Department of Defense license plates and tags". (In Illinois you can purchase veteran, Marine, or medal plates. Mike has Illinois Marine Corps license plates.) During the exchange, he made additional anti-military comments.
Mike called the Chicago police and had the man arrested. A citation against the man was issued for misdemeanor criminal damage to private property.
The police report (and I have copies if needed) states:
Victim related to P/O that as he walked back to his vehicle, he observed the offender leaning up against his vehicle and rubbed/dragged his left arm and hand across the passenger side. As offender walked away from victim's vehicle, victim observed a scratch along the rear trunk and passenger's door area where offender dragged his arm and hand over. Victim and witness stopped offender and confronted him. Victim has military plates and decals on his vehicle and offender made anti war and military comments to victim. Upon P/O's arrival to scene, offender denied scratch victim's vehicle, but did admit to rubbing past it. Victim at this time did not sign complaint, because he is leaving tour for military duty. Offender said they accused him of scratching the car because he is Jewish. Offender's statements/responses to P/O's questions unreasonable.
As it turns out, the man is Chicago lawyer Jay R. Grodner, who owns a law firm in the city and has offices in the suburbs.
After sending the car to the body shop, it was determined there is $2400 in damage, making this a felony. Mike went to court Friday morning to collect the damages against Mr. Grodner and file felony charges. Though the damages are over $300 (the amount which determines felony or misdemeanor) Grodner offered Mike to pay his deductible, $100, and have Mike's insurance pay for it.
The Illinois States Attorneys tried to coerce Mike into accepting the offer. Appalled, Mike said he wanted this to be a felony. The state told Mike that it was not worth pursuing felony damage against Grodner because they don't have the time. In addition, the state prosecutors told him that he would never it 'would be difficult to recover the damages' from Grodner because he is a lawyer.
Instead, the State asked Mike if he would accept probation for Grodner. Mike accepted, probation was offered to Grodner, and Grodner declined the offer, saying within ear shot of Mike, "I'm not going to make it easy on this kid". Mike's next court date is tomorrow, Monday, December 31st, to pursue misdemeanor charges against Grodner.
Mike's leave is over on January 2nd when he reports to Camp Pendleton before heading to Iraq.
Jay Grodner knows this and is going to file for a continuance until Mike is gone and cannot appear in court.
By account of the Illinois State's Attorneys, Grodner is likely to get away with defacing Mike's car with no penalty because, 1) Mike is about to deploy to Iraq and will not be available to appear in court, and 2) Grodner is a lawyer and can get out of this very easily.
So, does anyone have any ideas about how to proceed? All peaceful and rational ideas are welcomed. We are contacting the media about this, too.
Please pass this story on to anyone you know that might be able to help.
Update 12-31-07 1000 CST: The hearing is today. After about four hundred emails offering help, I've taken down the email address for now. If I haven't sent you a reply, I apologize and hopefully will send one soon.
I will post updates as they occur. There are several options and we'll see what happens in court first before Mike decides on the next move.
And, BTW, a sincere thanks to all the Chicago Police Officers for their advice and offers.
Let me be clear. I do not want anyone to harass the lawyer, threaten him, damage his property or propose any other illegal suggestion. We can win this one clean and fair - one way or another...
Update 12-31-07 2000 CST: A Blackfive reader sends this update about the hearing today...
Attn: Black Five

I am writing to produce an update of the results of Sgt McNulty's case against Jay R Grodner. I was present in support of Mike and thought you may be interested in an update for this story.

Sgt McNulty was called forward by the State's Attorney in order to discuss the case. I am not sure what transpired behind the closed doors, however, I overheard the State's Attorney expressing her intent to prosecute this guy to the fullest extent. It seems as if BlackFive is the sole catalyst to this story getting out and I am sure Sgt McNulty has probably heard the effect of yours and other blogs from the results of today's proceedings to include several Marines and civilians who showed up in his support.

Jay R Grodner was called before court and in his absence, the Judge issued a warrant for his arrest effective immediately. Sgt McNulty was departing the court when Grodner rolled in to the courtroom more pathetic than anyone I had ever seen. The Judge had questioned him on his tardiness and he explained that traffic had been busy and he 'made a wrong turn'. The Judge chastised him for his tardiness, pathetic excuses, and that he was lucky the warrant had not been executed prior to his arrival.

It seems the blogosphere has put the ball in Sgt McNulty's court. Furthermore, it is also apparent that the State's Attorney's Office has decided to take this matter on a much more serious level. A new and very aggressive State's Attorney seems to have a genuine interest in pursuing this case to the extent that it warrants.
A lot of good people deserve our thanks today. Thousands responded with emails and phone calls and some even went to support Mike at the hearing. Thank you. I've said it before and I'll say it again - Blackfive and military blogs have the best readers on the planet - we really are a true community.
And, long time regular TB, sends this link to a Free Republic reader who also attended the hearing and provides a report.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to ring in the New Year. Twelve years ago, Mrs. Blackfive (before the "Mrs.") and I had our first date, and our first kiss was at midnight. We have a tradition to maintain.
Thank you! And have a Happy New Year!

What a scumbag. But I'm going to do this lawyer a favor. Perhaps you have a legal problem in Chicago . Maybe you want a lawyer who would do almost anything. Maybe decency doesn't matter to you. Maybe you're a MoveOn Democrat and you just loathe the American military. If so, Jay Grodner is the lawyer for you. As a public service ... here's how you contact him.
Jay R. Grodner
Law Offices of Jay R. Grodner
Principal Office-Deerfield
625 Deerfield Road –Suite 406
Deerfield, IL 60015
Phone: (847) 444-1500
Fax: (847) 444-0663
Downtown Chicago
30 N. LaSalle St. - Suite 1210
Chicago, IL 60602
Phone: (312) 236-1142
Fax: (312) 236-6036
Email: jayrg8@aol.com
Web: http://www.jaygrodner.com
I'm sure he would like to hear from you if you need legal representation. He might have lost a few clients over the past month. By the way ... that Internet address was good about 36 hours ago .. now it doesn't seem to be working that well.

imperialism2024

imported post

Interesting story, though I'm led to believe that there's something missing, as it doesn't seem that a rational person would do what the lawyer did.

Was he intoxicated at the time of the event? Did the lawyer and the marine have a prior conflict? :shock:

dude

imported post

The events, as described are pretty discusting. However, before I recommend anyonefire upa nasty-gram campaign it might be a good idea to remember that there is often more than one side to the story...

casullshooter

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Interesting story, though I'm led to believe that there's something missing, as it doesn't seem that a rational person would do what the lawyer did.

Was he intoxicated at the time of the event? Did the lawyer and the marine have a prior conflict? :shock:
At what point in time did Left-Wing extremests become "Rational"?

dude

imported post

casullshooter wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

The point where one believes everything someone else tells them? The point where they believe everything they read? The point where they believe every word that comes out of someone else's mouth? Idk.

imperialism2024

imported post

Lou_Sanderson wrote:
casullshooter wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

The point where one believes everything someone else tells them? The point where they believe everything they read? The point where they believe every word that comes out of someone else's mouth? Idk.
All kidding aside, the point is that it seems like something is missing. I've known many a crazy liberal (and crazy conservative), and I just can't reconcile why someone would do this...

dude

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Lou_Sanderson wrote:
casullshooter wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

All kidding aside, the point is that it seems like something is missing. I've known many a crazy liberal (and crazy conservative), and I just can't reconcile why someone would do this...
I think it could be as casullshootersuggests, or it could be spin/yellow journalism. Hard to tell only hearing one side of the story.

casullshooter

imported post

No doubt more complete details will surface. It seems to me that if the Marine had done anything to provoke this incident and it was known, that the media would be howling about it.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-kass_bd_20jan20,0,1923633.story?page=1&coll=chi_tab01_layout

Jay Grodner, the Chicago lawyer who keyed a Marine's car in anger because the car had military plates and a Marine insignia, finally got his day in court last week.

Grodner pleaded guilty in a Chicago courtroom packed with former Marines. Some had Marine pins on their coats, or baseball jackets with the Marine insignia. They didn't yellor call him names. They came to support Marine Sgt. Michael McNulty, whose car Grodner defaced in December, but who couldn't attend because he's preparing for his second tour in Iraq.

Grodner was late to court for the second time in the case. Grodner called Assistant State's Attorney Patrick Kelly, (Marine Corps/Vietnam 1969-1972), informing Kelly that he would be late to court.

"He wanted to avoid the media," Kelly said Friday. "So he's coming a half hour late."

"I don't run my courtroom that way!" responded Judge William O'Malley, ordering Grodner be arrested and held on $20,000 bail when he arrived. Finally, Grodner strolled in. A short man, wide, wearing a black fedora, dark glasses, a divorce lawyer dressed like some tough guy in the movies.

Grodner told me he'd describe himself as a "radical liberal" who's ready to leave Chicago now with all this negative publicity and move to the south of France and do some traveling. [Surprise surprise]

Judge O'Malley has also traveled, but in his youth. He was a police officer on the West Side during the riots before law school. And before that, he performed another public service. Judge O'Malley served in the U.S. Marine Corps from 1961-1964.

During the proceedings, the judge described the offense as anger rose in his voice, especially as Grodner started balking on a plea arrangement he'd made with prosecutors.

"Is this what you did? Yes or no," Judge O'Malley asked Grodner.

"Without knowing, yes," Grodner said, sticking to his I-might-have-done-it-but-didn't-really-mean-it defense.

O'Malley asked again, in a stronger voice, not that of a judge but of a cop on the street or a Marine who meant business.

"DID YOU KNOWINGLY CAUSE DAMAGE TO THIS CAR?" O'Malley asked.

Grodner bowed his head, meekly, and responded in an equally meek voice:

"Yes," he said.

After the admission, came the details and Grodner was lucky, getting off with a misdemeanor and no jail time, and not a felony even though he caused $2,400 in damage to Sgt. McNulty's car.

So Grodner received a $600 fine, which will go to a Marine charity, 30 hours of community service and a year of court supervision. If he doesn't pay up in a month, the judge promised to put him in jail for a year.

Judge O'Malley had something to say. He looked out into his courtroom, at all those men who'd come to support a Marine they didn't know.

"You caused damage to this young Marine sergeant's car because you were offended by his Marine Corps license plates," said Judge O'Malley.

Grodner stood there, hands behind his back. He grasped the fingers of his left hand with his right, and held it there, so they wouldn't wiggle.

"You're probably also wondering why there was a whole crowd of people here, Mr. Grodner," said Judge O'Malley.

"I don't want to wonder," said Grodner, continuing in his new meek voice, not in his tough divorce lawyer voice, but the gentle, inside voice he'd just learned.

"That's because there is a little principle that the Marine Corps has had since 1775," the judge continued. "When they fought and lost their lives so that people like you could enjoy the freedom of this country. It is a little proverb that we follow:

"No Marine is left behind.

"So Sgt. McNulty couldn't be here. But other Marines showed up in his stead. Take him away," said the judge and former Marine.

They took Grodner away, he was processed, and everyone left. The lobby was dark, quiet, except for two court deputies running the metal detector. Then Grodner came through an inside door, put his fedora back on, the dark glasses, a tough guy again.

We stood outside, in the parking lot, talking for 20 minutes. He smoked, and I didn't. He explained that he wasn't anti-military and why he pleaded guilty.

"The judge, he's the guy with the black robes," Grodner said. He could have been slapped with a felony, but Sgt. McNulty's family said they wanted to put this behind them and let it go as a misdemeanor. Grodner showed no remorse, and I asked if he'd apologize.

"Yes, I'd say, 'I'm sorry if I scratched your car.' It escalated. That's when he wanted me locked up and thrown away," said Grodner, always the victim.

Grodner tells me he plans to leave for the French Riviera and get some sun.

Sgt. McNulty will get some sun, too. In Iraq.

jskass@tribune.com

unrequited

imported post

That's a terrific story. I wonder why the judge knocked it down though, especially after the defendent started trying to pull the lawyer card and was disrespectful of the judge's court and judicial system as a whole.

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

The article post at http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=7264&forum_id=65&jump_to=122832#p122832 is also by Grigg. He's two for two!

I'd (re)post the Derek Hale story but I am too suspected of <whiney voice>cop bashing</whiney voice> as it is. You may...

Again; the contrapositive of a personal attack is a claim of special authority - like 'cop' - spit! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/7598.html

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Thundar

imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
The invincibly ignorant and the lamestream media bury what they don't want to deal with.

A Marine was executed, in another incident, by a cop and the story can't even get traction here on OCDO. Apologists abound and are given special consideration.
http://www.rense.com/general76/del.htm

Doug, I am very pro police, but I find the story posted about Derek Hale to be too disgusting to write coherently. Thank you for putting this disturbing incident in front of us.

I have seen this behaviour before in some miserable god forsaken places with no respect for the rule of law. There is a term that we military men use to describe actions such as those by the Wilmngton PDs cold bloodedexecution and cover up. WAR CRIMINALS!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_crime

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Thanks. Bump to the top.

I am not and never was a cop but was 'trained' by a good modern PD and SO. My next door neighbor for ten years or so was Officer Steve Hiott and he got no special consideration when he was executed.

It pisses me off when Anony Mouse wraps himself in 'blue.' Consider the differe...

Gotta go. God bless.