• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.357 SIG vs. .45 ACP

Weak 9mm

imported post

Yes sir, I'm going to be checking my inbox today. I have two tests today, so I'm having to jump around a bit and wanted to devote my full attention to your message.

Also dealing with a shipping mishap on the Mossberg and a banking issue. This week is crazy!

To the creator: I apologize for taking up so much of this thread with off topic material.

glocknroll

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
I do apologize for the statement.
. Double tap also seems to be one of the only manufacturers plugging a 147gr bullet into .357SIG cartridges. This think would blow a .357 magnum right out of the water it appears! Under the reviews I saw that people are saying the recoil isn't bad either.

No apology is necessary. Had I not wandered off topic it would never have come up.

Hornady offers their excellent XTP in a 147grain bullet in .357 SIG. I have used the XTP's, but I have no experience with this particular.round

Weak 9mm

imported post

I think double tap uses the gold dot in factory new brass for that round, with very low flash powders. They don't seem to make many bullets, they generally use other bullets in their ammo, and with good results. I have not used their ammo yet, but the velocity even outperforms brands like Buffalo Bore in many calibers, at almost half the price in 9mm form. The website is:

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php

glocknroll

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
I think double tap uses the gold dot in factory new brass for that round, with very low flash powders. They don't seem to make many bullets, they generally use other bullets in their ammo, and with good results. I have not used their ammo yet, but the velocity even outperforms brands like Buffalo Bore in many calibers, at almost half the price in 9mm form. The website is:

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php
Thanks for the link. I'll have to check it out. I like Georgia Arms 125 grain Gold Dot load in .357 SIG. It pushes that bullet at 1400fps from my G32, at a great price. They always have a table at the local gun shows.

will68

imported post

I have both calibers in my subcompact Glocks-Model G33 in.357sig and the G30 in.45 while both have their +/- I tend to favor the .357sig.the flat shooting and incredible ballistics are why I choose it over my .45.I just read online about a plain clothes officer who had a suspect cornered inside a moving trailer,he fired his .45 and it did not penetrate through,he used his back up .357sig and had no problem punching through the metal siding and killing the suspect-go under .357sig wikipedia for story-the other reason I choose the .357sig is how the round is designed.since it's a bottle neck design problems with jamming are almost non-exsitant.here is the caveat though.there are not that many mfg. for the round which presents the problem of limited choice.I run Spear Dot 125 grain jhp through my pistol,I would like to see a Federal Hydrashok in the .357 cal.....I'm glad their is a forum for these topics,do your homework is all I can say.I think you will be happy with either caliber.

will68

imported post

just me again..first I did not have the story of the police using their back up weapon correct.he/she was uniformed police-.357sig wikipedia.second I just did a search and found out that Federal Hydrashock is alive and well(I will make sureto do better research..please forgive)and third -I fire Spear Gold Dot(mental error)....on another note I would like to fill my profile out more,but unsure how to do.will someone help if you would..Thanks:cuss:

Hiredgun30

imported post

i carry a glock model 31 in 357 sig.. i love it..... i have it loaded with 124 grain gold dots for work and 100 grain corbon power balls for home.

i have met a few officers here in arizona that once i show them a round,

they take interest in it..

richarcm

imported post

A 9mm is going to feel a little different in a Springfield than in a Ruger. A 45 ACP is going to feel different in a Glock than in a 1911. I don't see how you can really quantify any real differences.

Your question can ONLY be truly answered by finding someone with the gun you are interested in, perhaps a rental at a range, and firing some rounds through it.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

richarcm wrote:
A 9mm is going to feel a little different in a Springfield than in a Ruger. A 45 ACP is going to feel different in a Glock than in a 1911. I don't see how you can really quantify any real differences.

Your question can ONLY be truly answered by finding someone with the gun you are interested in, perhaps a rental at a range, and firing some rounds through it.
I think that an excellent answer. Felt recoil can be much different than measured or expected recoil across gun models.