• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coffee Shop Non-Incident

Mainsail

imported post

Coffee Shop Non-Incident

Yesterday I took the laptop over to the Cutter’s Point for a cappuccino and to chat with some friends via internet. As I sat a couple of the campus security personnel came in and stood in line for their drinks. They left with their drinks, but not before the male gave me the stink-eye. I figured the real police would be showing up soon and sure enough, about 15 minutes later there was one walking in. So I’m thinking, “Alright, here we go again.” He never looked at me, but got in line for a coffee and sat at the table to my right (the gun side) about 15’ away. He had three stripes on his forearm, and I have no idea how their rank is structured so I can only guess he is a lieutenant. He left after he finished his coffee and never even looked at me.

Uneventful, dull, maybe even boring, but that’s the way (uh huh uh huh) I like it.

heresolong

imported post

"campus security"? Is this on a school campus? If so, which one? I thought most of them were pretty locked down.

just_a_car

imported post

Well, the UW is surprisingly lax on their anti-gun stance/rules. They do prohibit students from possessing firearms (as 'misconduct'), but then state that nothing in that section is to deny the student of their legal and constitutional rights. Contradictory? Sure. Do I care that it's contradictoryif it means it's legal to carry on campus without fear of expulsion? Nope!

Gene Beasley

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
He had three stripes on his forearm, and I have no idea how their rank is structured so I can only guess he is a lieutenant.
If it was on the forarm it was most likely a service stripe or hash bar. Each strip represents a number of years on the force that can vary by agency. Mine represented five years, IIRC.

Not a bad idea to Google police insignia. It might help you to know who you're dealing with. For Lt, I would look for a single bar on each collar.

Bear 45/70

imported post

underthebridge wrote:
Mainsail wrote:
He had three stripes on his forearm, and I have no idea how their rank is structured so I can only guess he is a lieutenant.
If it was on the forarm it was most likely a service stripe or hash bar. Each strip represents a number of years on the force that can vary by agency. Mine represented five years, IIRC.

Not a bad idea to Google police insignia. It might help you to know who you're dealing with. For Lt, I would look for a single bar on each collar.
Three stripes is gonna always be a Sergeant, pretty mucheverywhere. Rank stripes are always on the upper arm. Lieutenants, Captains etc alway have collar brass.

j2l3

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Three stripes is gonna always be a Sergeant, pretty mucheverywhere. Rank stripes are always on the upper arm. Lieutenants, Captains etc alway have collar brass.

Three stripes on the upper arm, yes, that is a Sergeant. On the forearm, that designates longevity on the force as has already been stated.

Bear 45/70

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:

Three stripes on the upper arm, yes, that is a Sergeant. On the forearm, that designates longevity on the force as has already been stated.
True, butforearm stripesare irrelivant except to the wearer and can mean pretty much whatever amount of time the agency decides to use for them.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
Sgt. Major Dickerson: [Pointing to his rank insignia[/i]] What does three up and three down mean to you, airman?
Adrian Cronauer: End of an inning?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Jerrylaughing.gif

Rook

imported post

Hey, just wanted to throw something into this thread because I have a similar situation at the cutters point coffee on 6th and Orchard in Tacoma. I have been coming to this location since they opened their doors a little over a year ago.

At this point I have the respect and the trust of all of the staff members here. Never had a problem with CC or OC on the premesis. Maybe because they all know me by name...

I work down towards the CP on Pacific, send me a PM about the next time anyone is going to be down there, I would really like to meet up with you and chat...

Mainsail

imported post

Another non-incident tonight. I needed to stop at Target to pick up a couple sleeveless shirts for the gym and while I was looking a man in the Target uniform approached. He asked if I was LE, I said no. He asked if I had a permit to carry a concealed weapon, I told him I wasn’t carrying a concealed weapon. he asked if it was loaded, I said, “Of course” and something to the effect that it would be useless unloaded. He stated that his understanding was that it couldn’t be carried loaded; I told him that was not the case. I went over the differences between open and concealed carry and he said, “ok”. He recognized (and admired) the 1911, mentioning that it looked nice, and walked away. Barely two minutes later he approached again saying that ‘people’ had seen us talking and that it was bugging other people, but reiterated that it wasn’t bothering him. He seemed uncomfortable asking me to, but he seemed like he had to, ask me to conceal. I pointed out that with what I was wearing it wouldn’t cover and then it would be only partially concealed and that that would be worse. He said that he didn’t have a problem with me and left. I brought my shirts to the checkout and left, somewhat surprised there weren’t a couple TPD cars out front.

Then it was over to Sears at the Tacoma Mall to find a hard-shell case for my new OBDII code reader, nobody said anything at all there, or they didn’t notice.

Mainsail

imported post

Rook wrote:
Hey, just wanted to throw something into this thread because I have a similar situation at the cutters point coffee on 6th and Orchard in Tacoma. I have been coming to this location since they opened their doors a little over a year ago.

At this point I have the respect and the trust of all of the staff members here. Never had a problem with CC or OC on the premesis. Maybe because they all know me by name...

I work down towards the CP on Pacific, send me a PM about the next time anyone is going to be down there, I would really like to meet up with you and chat...
Well, if anyone wants to meet for coffee I'm always up for that. I can be almost anywhere in Tacoma ~1730, just let me know when.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Rook wrote:

Well, if anyone wants to meet for coffee I'm always up for that. I can be almost anywhere in Tacoma ~1730, just let me know when.
My wife and I will be out and about tonight (leaving the little ones with a sitter after they go to bed), and I think it'd be great (for her, and my case too) if she was able to see a couple of other "regular guys" OCing besides me. We'd have to make it around 1915-1930, though. Does that still work for you guys, or is that too late?

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Another non-incident tonight. I needed to stop at Target to pick up a couple sleeveless shirts for the gym and while I was looking a man in the Target uniform approached. He asked if I was LE, I said no. He asked if I had a permit to carry a concealed weapon, I told him I wasn’t carrying a concealed weapon. he asked if it was loaded, I said, “Of course” and something to the effect that it would be useless unloaded. He stated that his understanding was that it couldn’t be carried loaded; I told him that was not the case. I went over the differences between open and concealed carry and he said, “ok”. He recognized (and admired) the 1911, mentioning that it looked nice, and walked away. Barely two minutes later he approached again saying that ‘people’ had seen us talking and that it was bugging other people, but reiterated that it wasn’t bothering him. He seemed uncomfortable asking me to, but he seemed like he had to, ask me to conceal. I pointed out that with what I was wearing it wouldn’t cover and then it would be only partially concealed and that that would be worse. He said that he didn’t have a problem with me and left. I brought my shirts to the checkout and left, somewhat surprised there weren’t a couple TPD cars out front.

Then it was over to Sears at the Tacoma Mall to find a hard-shell case for my new OBDII code reader, nobody said anything at all there, or they didn’t notice.
I go to that Target all the time (I assume you're talking about the one on Union), and I've never had a problem while OCing. Never been approached. Never been asked about it. Even walked passed their uniformed security guard a few times, and I know that he noticed it, but again, not a word.

Mainsail

imported post

My wife and I will be out and about tonight (leaving the little ones with a sitter after they go to bed), and I think it'd be great (for her, and my case too) if she was able to see a couple of other "regular guys" OCing besides me. We'd have to make it around 1915-1930, though. Does that still work for you guys, or is that too late?
I’m not aware of any plans, so make some up and I’ll be there!

I go to that Target all the time (I assume you're talking about the one on Union), and I've never had a problem while OCing. Never been approached. Never been asked about it. Even walked past their uniformed security guard a few times, and I know that he noticed it, but again, not a word.

Yes, the one on Union. I was really expecting that nothing would happen, since of the dozen or so times I’ve been there it was either never noticed¹ or ignored.

¹The caveat to that is in this case I did not carry at my normal 3-o-clock position, but I pulled it around to more like the 2-o-clock. (I prefer it up front more when I’m in public spaces like retail stores.) As we found out at Cabella’s last time, that position seems to get noticed much more.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Mainsail wrote:
I’m not aware of any plans, so make some up and I’ll be there!

I go to that Target all the time (I assume you're talking about the one on Union), and I've never had a problem while OCing. Never been approached. Never been asked about it. Even walked past their uniformed security guard a few times, and I know that he noticed it, but again, not a word.

Yes, the one on Union. I was really expecting that nothing would happen, since of the dozen or so times I’ve been there it was either never noticed¹ or ignored.

¹The caveat to that is in this case I did not carry at my normal 3-o-clock position, but I pulled it around to more like the 2-o-clock. (I prefer it up front more when I’m in public spaces like retail stores.) As we found out at Cabella’s last time, that position seems to get noticed much more.

Well, then let's meet up at the CP at UW Tacoma at about 1915 tonight. I'll PM Rook and let him know where we'll be. I can't promise we can staymore than about a half hour though, as we've got some shopping to do before things start closing up around 9pm. I'll be OCing my USP, but my wife will be CCing. Hope to see you there.

And I OC and CC at 3 o'clock, so that might be why I don't get the attention that you've gotten, there and at Cabela's.

Mainsail

imported post

19 Jan: I wanted to check out Cabella’s for a good .22 rifle (my latest kick is to throw together an accurate .22 sniper style rifle for long distance shooting on the cheap). I had no problems entering the store and browsing. After checking out the rifle I want and strolling around the store, an older employee asked me if I had a permit to carry my pistol ‘in the open like that’. I informed him that no permit was needed. He came back with the familiar, ‘they should have stopped you at the entrance’ line. I really wasn’t in the mood so I just pressed on.

I headed down to Oly for a coffee at Starbuck’s, no problems even though I had to park several blocks away and walk. I did get a few odd looks from passersby, but no drama.