• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Armed Citizen Thwarts Robbery!

Slowhand

imported post

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=7565465&nav=menu188_2

Customer pulls gun, stops robbery

Richard Essex/Eyewitness News

Indianapolis - It was a busy night Mondayat Buck's IGA on the 3000 block of South Meridian Street. "Charlie," who didn't want his image or name used with this story, was in line to check out.

A man police later identified as Dwain Smith reportedly ran into the store wearing a ski mask and yelling.

Cashier Dianna Brooks repeated what she says she heard. "I heard the guy say 'give me all your money' and the next thing I heard was stacy saying 'somebody help me.'"

Charlie says he responded immediately. "When I heard it I automatically took mine (gun)out." And Charlie says he was ready to act. "If he had raised it (gun)up yes I would have shot him."

According to police reports, Smith jumped over the counter demanding the cash.Charlie pulled his gun and started for the commotion.

"He was turning against the other woman. He didn't actually see me coming up at first and then when he did, he turned around and I yelled at him to put down his weapon," Charile explained.

"(The) next thing I know is Charlie is jumping over the, uh, courtesy booth into the courtesy booth," saidBrooks.

Charlie says was face to face with the suspect. "He just stare and looked at me for a minute. I cocked it back and then, all of a sudden, he laid it down on the counter and put all the money down."

The suspect gave up the money and his gun and took off his mask. The peoplewho workat Buck'ssay the suspect has been casing the place for days.

When police arrived, Charlie had the suspect on the floor. "(I) just held him until the police got there. (I)put my foot in his back and the gun to his head."

Dwain Smith is now in the Marion County Jail facing several charges.

eyesopened

imported post

Why did he have to cock the hammer? Was it a revolver? 1911? SA/DA pistol? Also it probably wasn't a good idea for him to have a foot on the guy's back (I think this was recently discussed) for the reason of safety. BG could unbalance GG and gain control.

Slowhand

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
Why did he have to cock the hammer? Was it a revolver? 1911? SA/DA pistol? Also it probably wasn't a good idea for him to have a foot on the guy's back (I think this was recently discussed) for the reason of safety. BG could unbalance GG and gain control.
Good points. As for the foot on the guy's back, maybe he's watched too many episodes of "COPS"?

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

At first I thought you'd transcribed the story since there were so many mistakes in the article, but after clicking on the link I found that it's not just my local news organizations (WTOP) that don'tcheck credentials when hiring copy writers.

On a side note, after seeing the name of the perpetrator it reminded me of this:

"Knock, knock."

"Who's there?"

"Dwain."

"Dwain who?"

"Dwain the bathtub, I'm dwowning!"

Slowhand

imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
At first I thought you'd transcribed the story since there were so many mistakes in the article, but after clicking on the link I found that it's not just my local news organizations (WTOP) that don'tcheck credentials when hiring copy writers.

On a side note, after seeing the name of the perpetrator it reminded me of this:

"Knock, knock."

"Who's there?"

"Dwain."

"Dwain who?"

"Dwain the bathtub, I'm dwowning!"

Along that same line, this is one of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FAbD2vU7MQ

Neplusultra

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
Yea, that was me and LEO229 made the safety response. My viewpoint is that if you have your foot on him he cannot get up and run. If he tries to do so it would be ligitimate to interprete that as an attempt to take your gun, afterall you don't know his intentions. His move would justify shooting him. If he actually tried to knock you down or off balance, use some dicipline and shoot him while you're going down. Hmmm, a new range excercise? They have firing while in motion why not while falling?....

I can see some legal issues though if you shoot him while he was in reality trying to run, not attack. It's such a mess legally. I've seen videos on youtube where a guy gets chased out of a store and then returns shorty with friends who then shoot the owner.

eyesopened

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
SNIP...
If he actually tried to knock you down or off balance, use some dicipline and shoot him while you're going down. Hmmm, a new range excercise? They have firing while in motion why not while falling?....
Just don't shoot your leg in the process :lol:

Also, is it a good idea if you have a revovler to cock the hammer into SA while you are detaining someone in that situation? I would think it would be a bad idea, but what are your thoughts? For a 1911, you have no choice as it is SA only. When that hammer is cocked, IMO it's the universal sign for "I ain't kidding around..."

LEO 229

imported post

Good for him!!!!

Glad a dirt bag was caught.

The bad guy was compliant and gave up everything at gun point. The foot on the back was a risky move but with the room clearly lit and as long as thegood guy did notget distracted....

The gun in the back of the head may have scared the dude too much to move anyway.

tarzan1888

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Good for him!!!!

The bad guy was compliant and gave up everything at gun point. The foot on the back was a risky move but with the room clearly lit and as long as thegood guy did notget distracted....

The gun in the back of the head may have scared the dude too much to move anyway.

A Big +1

From me

Tarzan

Neplusultra

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Good for him!!!!

I would say yes to not getting distracted. Although you would still need to be aware in case he has friends waiting outside who may come in and also be armed. To have a second BG come into play and be so close to the first BG could be a little dicey. You'd have to make a judgment call as to the security of the situation verses letting the BG get away.

LEO 229

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Good for him!!!!

I would say yes to not getting distracted. Although you would still need to be aware in case he has friends waiting outside who may come in and also be armed. To have a second BG come into play and be so close to the first BG could be a little dicey. You'd have to make a judgment call as to the security of the situation verses letting the BG get away.
This is true...

Having some cover is always a smart thing.

W.E.G.

imported post

Muzzle contact is a position of disadvantage for the good guy.

Don't ever do that. Even if you are in excellent physical condition, and you have extensive training in weapons retention techiques, you are still in a position of disadvantage with the muzzle actually touching the arrestee.

Prison-seasoned thugs practice disarming techniques all the time while they are serving their most recent beef.

The guy in the IGA must have been a real amateur. The "good guy" is lucky to still be alive.

Neplusultra

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
Muzzle contact is a position of disadvantage for the good guy.

Don't ever do that. Even if you are in excellent physical condition, and you have extensive training in weapons retention techiques, you are still in a position of disadvantage with the muzzle actually touching the arrestee.

Prison-seasoned thugs practice disarming techniques all the time while they are serving their most recent beef.

The guy in the IGA must have been a real amateur. The "good guy" is lucky to still be alive.
I think you are probably right. One thing I remember from Driver's Ed class, long long ago, is that even if you are expecting to have to make a reaction (red light comes on, then you have to hit the brakes on the simulator) it still takes around 0.3 seconds for you to do so. So if he can whirl around and hit or grab your gun or just knock you out cold with his fist and do so in less than 0.3 seconds he has a good chance of not getting shot.

imperialism2024

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Good for him!!!!

Good reason to carry two guns? :?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Again, a brave private citizen doing the right thing using the wrong tactics. Foot on the guys back could quickly have led to off balance GG getting killed with his own weapon.