• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bullet Test Tube

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Have not. I'd like to; I've seen pictures of what my HydraShoks look like after they've been dug out of ballistic gel; I'd like to recreate that and also get some penetration data (wound diameter and depth are both important to defense rounds). The only possible caveatI see with this product is that it's less gel-like and more clay-like, meaning what you see is theextent of temporary cavity, NOT permanent, which is more important (the bullet may push tissue aside without damaging it).

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I use gallon water jugs filled with water. I line them upsometimesten deep. Usualy six is enough though. When I fire a shot into them I can get a pretty good idea of relative penetration by which jug the bullet ends up in. Also some bullets fall apart and some hold up pretty well. It ends up being very interesting.

uncoolperson

imported post

I always figured i could do some fancy enough stuff with some jello (or something else really, but it sounded cool) to make me happy if i wanted to.

WhiteFeather

imported post

Keep in mind that while balistic gel is a good tool it does not take into account muscle density, or bones unless you add them. Someone who flexes or tightensa muscle before an impact of any sort is less likely to be as severely injured due to blunt force trama. Also "BG" only gives one mass it cannot take into account softer organs or in the case of the heart much harder tissue.