• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal Referral Needed

wchiang

imported post

Hey all, I apologize for using the OC board to seek legal help but I figure all of you here are good guys and are all in Virginia. Most of you know me from the whole Virginia Tech shooting debaucle.

Recently the attorney I was working with said I have no case in persuing Fox News and Canada's CTV. I would like to seek a second opinion on pursuing litigation. If anybody knows of a good attorney that has experience in dealing with defamation cases please shoot me a message. :p

I guess I'll close with an OC story. While shopping for NYE supplies, I OC-ed at Total Wine in Chantilly. Pretty much a non-event except for a couple of people with deer-in-headlights look. Same for the ABC next door and the owner didn't say anything.

W.E.G.

imported post

Every lawyer should try a defamation case once in his career.

That way, he'll know he never wants to try another.

Defamation cases are extremely difficult to win, and damages are usually nominal.

Of course, I know nothing of the particulars of your case. I wish you only the best in your pursuit of the justice you seek.

TEX1N

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

+1/2
Why don't you leave it Longwatch.

Good Luck finding a lawyer that will take it.....Nap's rule #1. Never talk to good looking reporters. I did an interview once and the Bitch said I looked like Colombo :(

Rule #2 ...Never talk about guns.

Rule #3...Justice is expensive! :uhoh:

LEO 229

imported post

Hey Wayne...

I watched the videos on YouTube... not a big deal to me. I am going to agree with your attorney from what I saw. The media did not do anything to make you look like some kind of monster.

They did ask some valid questions and you were able to answer them all. I am not sure if they discussed the questions before hand or did a dry run.... But it seemed like it was a question and answer session on the fly.

Some of the questions were generated by something you said or additional information you provided. You did a great job from being hit with those questions.

I truly would not worry about it.

What did you find objectionable that was worthy of filing a lawsuit?

Neplusultra

imported post

peter nap wrote:
+1/2

Good Luck finding a lawyer that will take it.....Nap's rule #1. Never talk to good looking reporters. I did an interview once and the Bitch said I looked like Colombo :(

Well, do you ? :)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
peter nap wrote:
+1/2

Well, do you ? :)
No......more like ...Robert Redford:uhoh:

Firefighter194

imported post

I think that is BS that a national news program wouldnt validate the pictures they were using in there coverage!!!

To use a inocent mans pictures in reguards to a cold blooded killer is just plain BS!! I would do anything in my power to get the record set straight! If that means a court date, so be it!

So what, he owns a lot of firearms !!

Well, I'll be pissed off all day now. This is a crock of $h...T!!! :cuss:

LEO 229

imported post

Firefighter194 wrote:
I think that is BS that a national news program wouldnt validate the pictures they were using in there coverage!!!

To use a inocent mans pictures in reguards to a cold blooded killer is just plain BS!! I would do anything in my power to get the record set straight! If that means a court date, so be it!

So what, he owns a lot of firearms !!
Well, I'll be pissed off all day now. This is a crock of $h...T!!! :cuss:
Now that you point out the photos.... I really had not thought anything of them. I guess it is in the mind of the person of they view them.

They did keep showing his images withWayne'sguns but I viewed them as a proud owner of his nice collection. Others could obviously see a nut with too many guns. I am guessing the rifles that are all alike are collectible and are an investment. The only other guns I saw were the shotgun,the M4, and the pistol.

The media isneveron your side and anything you give them permission to use... can and will be used in whatever way they want to make the story shock the viewer.

The mediawant those ratings!! We all have to keep this in mind.

bayboy42

imported post

Timeout LEO229...I know sometimes you read fast but you are TOTALLY missing the boat on this one.:exclaim::exclaim:

Watch the 3rd video that TEXN1 Posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQtdxPl4Ew8

This news clip is 100% about the Tech killer....Wayne's name is NEVER mentioned yet at the 1:13 and 1:34 mark of the video pictures of WAYNE appear in between pictures of the Tech killer that were reported to have been sent by the Teck killer.

I'm hoping this was just an oversight on your part and you'll revamp your previous statement:what:

LEO 229

imported post

Damn!

Was that two pics of Wayne in there?? :shock:

This is poor news reporting. They collected images they believe were of Cho but we know that all you Asians look alike. :DEven if Cho's head was shaved and Wayne's was not.

Waynemay be able to get them for copyright infringement for the unauthorised use of his two images. I am guessing they took them off his facebook or myspace account??

I guess the kicker is that they did not name Wayneas the killer.. they mistakenly displayedhis images thinking they were Cho.

I am still not convinced it is worth pursuing.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I clearly remember old Geraldo at about 11pm the night of the VT, after wchiang had made a statement that he wasn't involved in the shooting, saying he was the shooter and showing his picture. I think it was a pretty damaging thing to do to his reputation. Will his tort be sucessful? I don't know, but I'd be inclined to award him some modest damages.