• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chambered or Unchambered

Beau

imported post

I was wondering how many people keep one in the hole while carrying?

I read a post about a guy who was carrying a compact in his front pocket ant shot himself in the leg while trying to remove his keys from same pocket. Don't know if story is true or not. I've heard similar stories time to time.

I understand and agree with the tactical reasons for having one ready.However, I'm still a little uneasy with having a round chambered.

I came up with an idea and would like some feedback. I amsure someone else has thought of this but I have not seen it posted.

Why not carry with a blank chambered? I see some good advantages to this.

1) Should I have the "negligent discharge" experience, injury and damage would be minimal.

2) I can draw,aim and fire two shots quicker than draw, rack slide, aim and fire.

3) If a warning shot was needed to get the point across I need not worry where the shot may go.

4) If the wrong person should get hold of my gun a blank would possibly give me that extra second or two to get it back.

If anyone can think of any additional positives, or negatives to this I would really like to hear them.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Guns do not just "went off," and poor trigger control is no excuse for stupidity.

I carry my Glock loaded all the time in my Safariland ALS holster, never had a problem.

uncoolperson

imported post

a properly designed blank can.

I appologize, i was remembering back when i was thinking of doing some ww2 reenacting.... the guns were modified (i forgot about this).

at face value it sounds like a good idea... BUT, a blank can hurt someone pretty dang good too... And my reason for not would be that it would create a sense of carelessness, always knowing (if only in the back of my mind) "the first one is just a blank".... the one time you wish it was just a blank is the one time you forgot to make sure it was just a blank.

I go unchambered... but that's just me, i know i'm no quick thinker (those poor souls on that area 51 arcade game), i figure a few seconds to rack is a few seconds to better think.

but then again my choice is flawed to, in that i 'know' there's nothing chambered.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Hmm, I suppose that I didn't consider a gas-operated pistol. Still...

Since there is a minimum momentum required to operate any given recoil-operated firearm's action, the cartridge must generate sufficient recoil to provide this momentum. Recoil operated firearms therefore tend to work best when using a cartridge with a grain size (mass) near where the gun's action was originally optimized or tuned in terms of momentum. For example, the M1911 design was optimized for a 230 grain bullet, and, although there is a fairly-wide range over which different grain bullets may still operate reliably, the optimal operation will nonetheless occur around a 230 grain bullet size, for standard factory springs.

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

I keep all my fuel in cans in the garage, I'll always have time to fill the tank before I need to go anywhere.
I keep the fire extinguisher unfilled, but the CO2 cannister is right next to it in case there's a fire.
I don't keep any bandages at home, the drug store is open 24 hours and it's only a mile away if there's an accident.

Do any of those make much sense?

There's always enough time to rack the slide before having to shoot as anyone who has had to do so will tell you. Those who didn't have the time, ability, or opportunity won't say anything, they're too busy being dead.

If a firearm discharges in your pocket while you're digging for your keys, you have made two tactical mistakes. One, you had a firearm in your pocket with an unprotected trigger. Two, you had something else in your pocket where it could interfere with said firearm. The loud noise you just heard should be taken as a hint that you were Not doing the smart thing.

(Edited by author to remove uncool provocaton:) )

uncoolperson

imported post

Fallschirmjäger wrote:
I keep all my fuel in cans in the garage, I'll always have time to fill the tank before I need to go anywhere.
I keep the fire extinguisher unfilled, but the CO2 cannister is right next to it in case there's a fire.
I don't keep any bandages at home, the drug store is open 24 hours and it's only a mile away if there's an accident.

Do any of those make much sense?

There's always enough time to rack the slide before having to shoot as anyone who has had to do so will tell you. Those who didn't have the time, ability, or opportunity won't say anything, they're too busy being dead.

i just have a preference for myself... do what you want, i will do what i want.
(never thought i'd use my line for carrying a pistol over here [not meant in a mean way])

the proper way to carry a gun depends on the person first and foremost.

I also don't like those serpa holsters, my opinion, my way.

VAopencarry

imported post

I am not sure what 'hole' you are talking about. If you are talking about the chamber and aren't comfortable carrying a round in the chamber, then don't. Also, No warning shots!!

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Beau wrote:
Because that is how you make the gun "ready".

I read a post about a guy who was carrying a compact in his front pocket ant shot himself in the leg while trying to remove his keys from same pocket. Don't know if story is true or not. I've heard similar stories time to time.
Probably true. Idiots abound. Carrying a gun in your pocket, with no holster and with other "things" in same pocket is a recipe for disaster. Carry in a safe way, IE: holster.

I understand and agree with the tactical reasons for having one ready. However, I'm still a little uneasy with having a round chambered.
Then by all means do not carry condition 1. Carry empty chamber and then seek training to make yourself more competent and confident. Never carry how your not comfortable doing so.

Your eyesight needs checked ;) No advantages.

1) Should I have the "negligent discharge" experience, injury and damage would be minimal.
I'm sorry, but your fixing a training problem with an equipment problem and that rarely works.
Would you avoid a car accident by riding your bicycle? :)

2) I can draw,aim and fire two shots quicker than draw, rack slide, aim and fire.
I highly doubt it. Your mention of "racking the slide" indicates you carry a semi-auto. A blank will NOT cycle a semi auto. So no your going to have to draw, fire blank, rack slide and fire second shot. Your method is sending you in reverse of where you wanted to be :)

3) If a warning shot was needed to get the point across I need not worry where the shot may go.
Warning shots are a taboo in modern defensive combat skills training.
IOW: Don't
You don't shoot unless you need to shoot to stop. A warning shot is still considered "lethal force". Bad, bad , bad idea.

4) If the wrong person should get hold of my gun a blank would possibly give me that extra second or two to get it back.
"Possibly" is the key word. Actually it would give you more than that because refer to #2 :D
Is that advantage worth it? Your more likely to shoot than you are to have your gun taken. Given that, if your forced to draw against someone drawing or already drawn on you you now are much more likely to not get the shot off before your opponent does.
Not worth it. Invest in a retention holster and training if your worried about retention. Those are the correct answers to the retention problem.

If anyone can think of any additional positives, or negatives to this I would really like to hear them.
Can't think of any positives at all.... And I'm pretty sure you already covered all the negatives ;)

Seriously, don't take my reply to sternly but the answers are pretty cut-n-dry.

My advice is to get som pro training and you'll realize more the importance of avoidance, threat management/deescalation and when to shoot and when not to.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
Beau wrote:
Because that is how you make the gun "ready".

Probably true. Idiots abound. Carrying a gun in your pocket, with no holster and with other "things" in same pocket is a recipe for disaster. Carry in a safe way, IE: holster.

I understand and agree with the tactical reasons for having one ready. However, I'm still a little uneasy with having a round chambered.
Then by all means do not carry condition 1. Carry empty chamber and then seek training to make yourself more competent and confident. Never carry how your not comfortable doing so.

Your eyesight needs checked ;) No advantages.

I'm sorry, but your fixing a training problem with an equipment problem and that rarely works.
Would you avoid a car accident by riding your bicycle? :)

I highly doubt it. Your mention of "racking the slide" indicates you carry a semi-auto. A blank will NOT cycle a semi auto. So no your going to have to draw, fire blank, rack slide and fire second shot. Your method is sending you in reverse of where you wanted to be :)

Warning shots are a taboo in modern defensive combat skills training.
IOW: Don't
You don't shoot unless you need to shoot to stop. A warning shot is still considered "lethal force". Bad, bad , bad idea.

"Possibly" is the key word. Actually it would give you more than that because refer to #2 :D
Is that advantage worth it? Your more likely to shoot than you are to have your gun taken. Given that, if your forced to draw against someone drawing or already drawn on you you now are much more likely to not get the shot off before your opponent does.
Not worth it. Invest in a retention holster and training if your worried about retention. Those are the correct answers to the retention problem.

Can't think of any positives at all.... And I'm pretty sure you already covered all the negatives ;)

Seriously, don't take my reply to sternly but the answers are pretty cut-n-dry.

My advice is to get som pro training and you'll realize more the importance of avoidance, threat management/deescalation and when to shoot and when not to.
+100....well stated Patriot

I can almost guarantee that time to "rack the slide" will not be there in a real world SD scenario......
It is fairly well proven that, even with training, you need at least 21 ft between you and the threat to draw and fire a single rnd before that threat can reach you if he/she rans at you....and this is with "one in the pipe".
Nearly all SD shootings occure at less than 20 ft....most at less than 10 ft.......you do the math.
Training is the answer....
BTW......yes, I do carry with "one in the pipe"......always.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Well enough has been said about why a blank would be a bad idea :D. But to answer your question, I carry with one in the chamber as well. Some people have to warm up to the idea. It felt natural for me, though.

I would suggest that you try to get used to the idea of carrying in condition 1. Until then, though, do what makes you confident and comfortable. Condition 3 is better than nothing!

TEX1N

imported post

I carry with one in the chamber.

Like other have said, I'd recommend carrying in condition 3 if you are uncomfortable with condition 1. Just make sure you practice drawing and chambering a round, so that you are prepared if the need ever arises.

I agree with others, blanks and warning shots are a VERY BAD IDEA! You're either in a situation where you can use deadly force or not...and a warning shot would be considered deadly force in a situation where you probably aren't justified in using it. I don't know how a court would look at a blank being fired as a warning.

TEX1N

imported post

Fallschirmjäger wrote:
Couldn't agree with you more! Although, I would still have to say that a condition 3 firearm in your hand is still better than a condition 1 cop on the phone!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

There is one very important point in all of this. Suppose a BG gets a round off first and it hits you in your "weak" wrist, hand, or forearm. Racking the slide to chamber a round for battery is not going to be an easy or simple task. Most likely, you'll wind up wounded or dead.

Defensive handguns, and hunting handguns, were never meant to be carried in a less-then-immediately-ready condition. Yes there is Condition 3 but only a fool, or a victim who is about to be shot, would do this. If you are so worried about carrying a handgun with a round in the chamber (and I understand your concerns), carry a DAO pistol of a DA revolver - chambered, of course. For pistols, the Kahr line in their steel framed versions are among the finest DAO pistols available.

Believe me. If you are suddenly acosted by a BG or BG's, there just isn't going to be enough time to get your weapon into battery. That only works on TV and in the movies.

Mainsail

imported post

There are way too many things one might need the offhand for; like pulling a loved one out of the line of fire or holding the bad guy off. In a true emergency situation there simply may not be time or opportunity to chamber a round, and the recoil spring on many guns requires a firm purchase (read: dry hands) on the slide.

Strict firearms discipline, something you better have a damn lot of long before you carry one, will prevent the gun from going off when you don’t want it to. 99% of modern pistols inside a properly fitting holster cannot discharge by accident.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I can't imagine carrying without one in the chamber.

I don't want to have to do anything extraneous when I'm already faced with a life-or-death decision.

I carry with one in the chamber, and usually with the safety off (except the 1911, which is in a completely different type holster, just to remind me). Carrying safely, and having an 8-or-more pound trigger pull on a double-action firearm in a proper holster does it for me.

And I usually don't carry the 1911 because I haven't practiced enough with it to be prepared for the different feel. All my other weapons are by the same maker, so the grip and the feel is nearly the same.

uncoolperson

imported post

I have to say, i'd complete advocate carrying a gun unloaded with a magazine or speed loader seperate... no one should try to convince someone to do something they arn't comfortable with. What's the statistic something like 90% of all self denfense handgun use is without firing a shot.

then again, i'm making the switch from a revolver (4 loaded in a 5 round [empty chamber under the hammer]) to a 1911.... gotta wait till i'm comfy.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

uncoolperson wrote:
I have to say, i'd complete advocate carrying a gun unloaded with a magazine or speed loader seperate... no one should try to convince someone to do something they arn't comfortable with. What's the statistic something like 90% of all self denfense handgun use is without firing a shot.

then again, i'm making the switch from a revolver (4 loaded in a 5 round [empty chamber under the hammer]) to a 1911.... gotta wait till i'm comfy.

This is because the BG is under the assumption that the gun works, and decides he doesn't want to die that day. Pulling out an unloaded gun is essentially bluffing, since you really don't have anything but a club in your hand. Your life is already on the line if you're pulling your gun out, so what do you want to bet on? That the BG wont call your bluff? Or your aim?

I'm a whole lot better at shootin' than I am at poker, so I'll leaving the bluffing at the table.

uncoolperson

imported post

DreQo wrote:
uncoolperson wrote:

This is because the BG is under the assumption that the gun works, and decides he doesn't want to die that day. Pulling out an unloaded gun is essentially bluffing, since you really don't have anything but a club in your hand. Your life is already on the line if you're pulling your gun out, so what do you want to bet on? That the BG wont call your bluff? Or your aim?

I'm a whole lot better at shootin' than I am at poker, so I'll leaving the bluffing at the table.

i do stupid stuff... and i'm young enough i'm going to do more stupid stuff... i'd put more probability on me doing stupid stuff than a BG calling my bluff.

again, just me. not saying one way is right and one isn't, just saying this is why i do this.

carry cocked with a non safe handgun (no safety), i don't care... if your comfortable with it, do it
(that's probably my reason for apprehension... my first auto had no safety)