• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Am I the only one that has never had an "incident"

Pay_Lay_Ale

imported post

I just moved from UTard to Seattle 3 months ago and OC almost everyday here. I've never had any encounters with LEOs or confrontations with management/employees of local businesses.

In fact, I was at a auto auction with a thousand people a few weeks ago and walked past a county sheriff a few times and not a peep out of him.

Am I just really lucky or is this the norm?

3/325

imported post

It's easy to get the impression that bad encounters happen often because those are the ones you're most likely to see posted in a forum. I think that most of the time it's a "nothing happened" day for the OC folks. Which is good.

I can assure you that people notice when you OC; a gun is an attention-getter. Most people probably assume that you're LE (plain clothes or off duty) and let it go.

Mainsail

imported post

I think you’d be surprised at how much people don’t notice it at all. When I carry my 1911 at the three o’clock position (under my arm), it often isn’t noticed at all. The last time we all met at Cabella’s I wore it out in front more, like the two o’clock position (due to the crowded conditions) and I was asked to leave twice. Additionally, sometimes someone will notice and not care, or notice and wonder why everyone else doesn’t seem to care.

ooguyx

imported post

Maybe we should try and have more stories from people who carry without incident and that might encourage more citizens to exercise their rights!

Mainsail

imported post

3/325 wrote:
ooguyx wrote:
Maybe we should try and have more stories from people who carry without incident and that might encourage more citizens to exercise their rights!
Good idea!

Well, I OC often and usually don’t have an incident but don’t report it because it’s going to be dull reading. But, here’s today’s non-incident:

I had some errands in town today so at lunch I drove home, armed up, and took care of them. I decided to stop at Hot Rod Dog on Pacific near the UW Tacoma and when I arrived there was a UWT Security guy eating there. He paid me no mind and did a friendly eyebrow raise towards me as he left. I then walked down to Cutter’s Point for a cappuccino and had a pleasant conversation with the owner. She remarked that several people have asked her why I carry a gun so I gave her my thoughts. She expressed that there were times they are worried about their employee’s security with some of the criminals that are in the neighborhood. I drank my coffee on the way back to the car, went home, put the gun back in the safe, and returned to work.

Ajetpilot

imported post

I OC'd at the dog park for 1.5 hours this morning, but had to cover occasionally when the rain came down hard. No one even looks at the gun any more, but after the bear attack in Banner Forest several months ago, everyone stayed close to me on the trails.;)

This afternoon, I had to go to Home Depot - twice. The checkout clerk eyed my pistol on the first trip, but didn't even comment. I don't think anyone even noticed on the second visit.

Just another standard dull day on the peninsula. I love dull!

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I've never had an issue with a LEO regarding OC, but I have with stores before. Like others have said, many folks don't even notice.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Pay_Lay_Ale wrote:
I just moved from UTard to Seattle 3 months ago and OC almost everyday here. I've never had any encounters with LEOs or confrontations with management/employees of local businesses.

In fact, I was at a auto auction with a thousand people a few weeks ago and walked past a county sheriff a few times and not a peep out of him.

Am I just really lucky or is this the norm?
Give it time. I open carried occasionally for nearly a year before I had any police interaction. (this being in California)If you carry with regularity, the odds of having contact with police approaches 100%. Im not saying that negative contact with police is a certainty, but statistically everyone who open carries will eventuallyhave some interaction with police.

j2l3

imported post

I once had acycling coach tell me there are two types of bicycle riders, those who have crashed and those who will.

This same line of thinking can apply to OC. There are two types of OCers... those who have had encounters, both good and bad, and those who will....

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

j2l3 wrote:
SNIP I once had acycling coach tell me there are two types of bicycle riders, those who have crashed and those who will.

Odds are prettygood that sooner or later its going to happen.

Stay alert for it.

Get a voice-recorder if laws in your state allow.

nathan

imported post

In the six some odd months I have been OC'ing everywhere I go I have had only three negative encounters (1 involving police).

I have had numerous positive encounters where I have talked to people who were genuinely interested about firearms and firearms law. You probably will eventually have a police encounter or other negative encounter but the positives should far outway the negatives.

Preston1911

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Odds are prettygood that sooner or later its going to happen.

Stay alert for it.

Get a voice-recorder if laws in your state allow.

can someone please spell out the washington state laws on voice recording.

thank you