• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Holster Recommendations

swillden

imported post

This may have been discussed before, but I didn't find it in the archives, so I thought I'd ask.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an OC holster? Specific brands and models are good, but I'm also interested in general principles. What sort of retention mechanisms are appropriate? What's a good compromise between access and preventing someone from grabbing your gun? What other issues do you consider when choosing a holster?

I'm looking for something that is durable but inexpensive and has good retention but easy access. Ideally, I'd also like something that can adjust to accommodate different size guns, if such a thing exists. I have a 3" XD9 for CC, a 6" Colt King Cobra and I'm considering buying a larger XD in 9mm or .40.

utahxd9

imported post

I carry my XD45 in a Serpa holster & really like it. They aren't terribly expensive (in comparison to a lot of other holsters) & it is pretty comfortable. I beleive Impact in Ogden has some you might check their website & see, or call them. Mine only came with the paddle attachement which i like better anyway. It was a bit cheaper than the ones that come with paddle & belt attachements.

off topic: I am a South Weberite also don't live there anymore, but my parents do, lived there for most of my life. :celebrate

swillden

imported post

rocknsnow wrote:
I use a leather holster that has a botton that goes over the top of my XD 9. But a lot of guys use a Serpa Holster. i want to get one. They have a button to push on the side that releases your sidearm.
The button is the only retention device? I've seen some holsters on the market with up the three devices -- thumb brake like yours, finger button similar (I think) to the Serpa, and you also have to rock the gun forward (or back, I think it's configurable). Supposedly with some practice you can draw almost as fast as with no retention, but I'm skeptical.

OTOH, nothing would suck more than getting shot by your own gun :D

swillden

imported post

XD45ACP wrote:
Mine only came with the paddle attachement which i like better anyway. It was a bit cheaper than the ones that come with paddle & belt attachements.

off topic: I am a South Weberite also don't live there anymore, but my parents do, lived there for most of my life.
What's the paddle attachment? I guess I should go look at the web site :)

I've lived in South Weber for 14 years now. It was mostly rural when I moved in, now the cows have been replaced by houses and I'm thinking it's time to move. It's a nice place, though. Only place I've ever lived where so many people "move" to a house just a few blocks away... repeatedly!

xmirage2kx

imported post

swillden wrote:
What's the paddle attachment? I guess I should go look at the web site :)

The paddle allows the holster to fit over a belt or just the top of your pants. This way you can remove the holster without taking off your pants. I like them better as they hold closer to my body than a belt loop holster (for me anyways)

swillden

imported post

xmirage2kx wrote:
The paddle allows the holster to fit over a belt or just the top of your pants. This way you can remove the holster without taking off your pants. I like them better as they hold closer to my body than a belt loop holster (for me anyways)
How hard is it for someone else to remove the holster? That seems like an advantage of the belt loop holster -- it's not coming off unless the belt does.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

swillden wrote:
rocknsnow wrote:
I use a leather holster that has a botton that goes over the top of my XD 9. But a lot of guys use a Serpa Holster. i want to get one. They have a button to push on the side that releases your sidearm.
The button is the only retention device? I've seen some holsters on the market with up the three devices -- thumb brake like yours, finger button similar (I think) to the Serpa, and you also have to rock the gun forward (or back, I think it's configurable). Supposedly with some practice you can draw almost as fast as with no retention, but I'm skeptical.

OTOH, nothing would suck more than getting shot by your own gun :D

You are probably referring to Safariland's line of holsters (www.safariland.com). Don't be skeptical of their retention systems. I went back and forth between Safariland and Blackhawk's Serpa holsters for a while, before ultimately going with Safariland.

My personal opinion, I would suggest you take a look at Safariland's line of holsters. Otherwise, Blackhawk and Fobus also have good holster lines.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Even with the paddle, it is not coming off! The Serpa has two hooks that go behind the belt, and one hook that grabs inside your pants. I bet if I grabbed b1ack5mith's Glock in his Serpa, I could lift him off the ground!

utahxd9

imported post

I have trouble getting my paddle off wiht two hands knowing where the hooks are. It would be tough for someone else to take the entire holster off.

xmirage2kx

imported post

It would be easier to unholster the weapon then remove the paddle holster and gun all together. It is a very well designed system (blackhawk, SL and even fobus)