• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newb Question...

Firefighter194

imported post

I currently own a CZ 75 that I want to start open carrying. But, I have a question about safety with this pistol.

The only safety on this pistol is the one on the side of the pistol (and of course the "human safety")

So my question to those of you that carry a pistol with only one safety, due you worry about the safety coming off while carrying? I mean it doesn't take much pressure to disengage my particular safety. I will feel more comfortable when I'm able to afford a XD which has multiple safeties.... But, until then I just want to be sure as possible that when I carry myself and every one around me will be safe!!!

I don't know maybe I'm just a paranoid first time carrier, but I want to be as responsible and safe as possible.....

Any suggestions / comments?

vt357

imported post

Is your CZ 75 a single action only model - so you would be carrying with the hammer back with the safety on? I have personally never even carried a gun that had a safety. I have a da/sa semi auto and a double action revolver. I was also a bit nervous about carrying without a safety at first, but the "human safety" as you mention is by far the most important one you have. It should be fine to carry in a good holster. Don't go putting the gun in your front pocket along with your keys and other junk that can get caught on the trigger (although your CZ would probably be a little big to have to worry about doing that anyway). I'm sure others will chime in with more specific info on your model firearm as well.

eyesopened

imported post

As long as your holster covers the trigger you're fine. Even with the safety off, the gun won't fire on it's own. My 1911 has ambi safeties and I don't find that it the safety has been off, even after a ride on my motorcycle it's the safety is still set to on.

Also, I'm pretty sure the CZ75 has a "drop safety", so the firing pin is blocked unless you pull the trigger

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

You just need a good holster. I carry a glock 17 in a Blackhawk Serpa holster. Also, I don't always have a round chambered while OC'ing. I just bought a Glock 21 SF over the XD because I feel the XD has to many safety's. I'm waiting for Blackhawk to put out the Serpa holster for the G21sf. I spoke with someone on the phone from Blackhawk who said it would be out this year(holster). Fobus makes a great holster, too.

eyesopened

imported post

Placementvs.Calibur wrote:
Also, I don't always have a round chambered while OC'ing.
In my opinion, you should be consistent on how you carry. If you're going to carry Condition X, then carry that way all the time. For example, you may think that you are carrying in Condition 1, when actually you are in Condition 2. You draw down on a bad guy, but then realize your hammer/striker is not cocked. You have to take that extra time to rack the slide.

bruins499

imported post

I carry a 1911PD smith & wesson it has the thumb safety and a grip safety. Found that alot of times the thumb safety get knocked off by my Bianchi holster. I dont like that it does this, but I still have the grip safety and the holster blocks the trigger and there is a hammer block so no worries.

ChinChin

imported post

Firefighter194 wrote:
I currently own a CZ 75 that I want to start open carrying. But, I have a question about safety with this pistol.

The only safety on this pistol is the one on the side of the pistol (and of course the "human safety")

So my question to those of you that carry a pistol with only one safety, due you worry about the safety coming off while carrying? I mean it doesn't take much pressure to disengage my particular safety. I will feel more comfortable when I'm able to afford a XD which has multiple safeties.... But, until then I just want to be sure as possible that when I carry myself and every one around me will be safe!!!

I don't know maybe I'm just a paranoid first time carrier, but I want to be as responsible and safe as possible.....

I've been carrying a glock 17 for 5 years, and recently upgraded to a glock 23; neither of which have ANY safeties (yeah yeah I know about the internal stuff) and I've never had an A.D. or any reason to worry.

Most everybody I know IRL carries a glock as their primary carry and they too report zero "oopises".

Bottom line, if a handgun with no safety is carried daily with zero incidents, you should be fine with your one safety handgun.

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

Your point is well taken.When and if the time comes I will be of sound mind tomake sure I have a clear shot, that my aim is true, and that there's a round in the chamber. I take the right to carry so seriously that when I strap my gun on in the morning, noon, or night I know what condition I have it.Also, Ipractice chambering rounds when pulling itout of the holster at the range. Which is good practice for picking up a semi-auto in a defensive/tactical situation. That being said always treat a firearm as if it's loaded.

Decoligny

imported post

Placementvs.Calibur wrote:
You just need a good holster. I carry a glock 17 in a Blackhawk Serpa holster. Also, I don't always have a round chambered while OC'ing. I just bought a Glock 21 SF over the XD because I feel the XD has to many safety's. I'm waiting for Blackhawk to put out the Serpa holster for the G21sf. I spoke with someone on the phone from Blackhawk who said it would be out this year(holster). Fobus makes a great holster, too.

Not saying you should or shouldn't have a round chambered, but you should be consistant in your carry habits. You should choose one or the other. That way you can train either

1. to unholster and chamber a round and fire quickly if you choose to carry empty chambered

or

2. to unholster and fire with the assurance that there is a round in the chamber.

It could be really dangerous to get into a situation where you need to fire your weapon, and due to the adrenaline and not realizing that there isn't a round chambered, you pull the trigger to "click" and the BG gets the upper hand.

Consistancy is the key factor. Train the same way every time.

Ghettokracker71

imported post

Firefighter194 wrote:

I was in the same boat as you, OC'd my old CZ,wanted an XD so bad I couldn't see straight, traded it in on my XD40,regretted selling it VERY badly. I tried to buy it back,but they were asking more for it than how much I paid for it NIB,....I'll ALWAYS regret selling it. Wonderful weapon, first ever handgun.

Anyway, regardless of handgun, YOU are the main safety, donot rely solely on the weapons features. YES,XD is really nice for that "extra" bit of newb conforting deal. Before I ever started carrying one in the chamber (I carry 1 in the pipe on any firearm on me.) I set the firing pin,and inserted an empty magazine. I then starting carrying around for quite a while,after I saw I didn't accidently "discharge" the empty chamber, I realized that with RESPONSIBILITY you can carry one in the chamber.

BIGGEST thing=you.

I reccomend a QUALITY holster, and a QUALITY weapon (I love cz,your good there. DOnt wanna sell it to me,do you?:cool:)