• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SA XD45: 4" or 5"?

shamalama

imported post

I'm looking at purchasing a Springfield Armory XD in .45. But I haven't yet decided on the Service 4" or Tactical 5".

I would assume that the 5" is a bit more accurate because of the longer barrel and heavier total weight (a whopping 2 more ounces).

There is a 4" .40S&W that has a ported barrel to further confuse me.

Other than that what are the glaring differences between the two, especially to those that have actually shot one or both of them? I intend on open carrying this OWB.

CrossFire

imported post

I bought the service model last summer. I could not be happier. It is the finest and most accurate firearm I have experienced so far. I do not believe that a barrel length difference of only 1" is going to be much of a facture in accuracy.

eyesopened

imported post

I have the XD45 Compact Service length barrel (4") and it's a great pistol. Very easy to shoot. I would suspect the extra 1" on the tactical model would give a little more accuracy because of the longer sight, but the 4" is plenty accurate. The Tactical and Service models have the same mechanics and you can essentially switch the slides (Same caliber of course) on one to the other and they'd function the same.

The 4" models have a dual captive recoil spring, while the 5" model uses a normal spring and guide rod. There are aftermarket replacements for the guide rod and springs for the 5" models, but nothing for the 4" models. It may matter to you if you handload, but I use factory ammo so the stock springs have worked fine for me.

If are looking to conceal carry this pistol, you may want to consider the Compact version. You can get the Compact version in either the 4" or 5" barrel. The main benefit of the Compact is that it comes with a 10rd magazine that is shorter so easier to conceal. You also get a 13rd magazine with a sleeve and it brings it to the same size as the service model. So you get 2 guns in 1...

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

eyesopened wrote:
I have the XD45 Compact Service length barrel (4") and it's a great pistol. Very easy to shoot. I would suspect the extra 1" on the tactical model would give a little more accuracy because of the longer sight, but the 4" is plenty accurate. The Tactical and Service models have the same mechanics and you can essentially switch the slides (Same caliber of course) on one to the other and they'd function the same.

The 4" models have a dual captive recoil spring, while the 5" model uses a normal spring and guide rod. There are aftermarket replacements for the guide rod and springs for the 5" models, but nothing for the 4" models. It may matter to you if you handload, but I use factory ammo so the stock springs have worked fine for me.

If are looking to conceal carry this pistol, you may want to consider the Compact version. You can get the Compact version in either the 4" or 5" barrel. The main benefit of the Compact is that it comes with a 10rd magazine that is shorter so easier to conceal. You also get a 13rd magazine with a sleeve and it brings it to the same size as the service model. So you get 2 guns in 1...

I have the same gun. Carry it in a SERPA holster. I almost NEVER use the 13rd mag (it's too big for my hand, I like the smaller more focused grip of the 10rd mag), but it's nice to know I could carry it if I wanted to. They still aren't making a whole lot of accessories for the things yet, but more and more stuff is coming on the market as they become more popular. I'd love to see a lasermax guide rod for the 4'' model, but even without accessories/modifications, they are great pistols.

eyesopened

imported post

The do have one for the 4" 45 Service, which is essentially a Compact with the longer grip: http://www.lasermax.com/product.php?id=108

Checkout XDtalk.com, but I'm pretty sure I've read people using them on their compacts. I personally wouldn't want to replace the recoil spring with that though unless I could be sure it'd be reliable. The stock recoil spring so far has been DEAD reliable.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

HOLY CRAP!!! I was not aware of that. I definitely have a new immediate purchase. I have been looking for something like this for a while, but obviously haven't been looking that hard. Thanks for the info, and I'm sure lasermax thanks you too, cause you definitely just made them 339 bucks!

DrewGunner

imported post

I've got a 5'' .45 acp, great gun. But I regret not getting the 4'' compact for concealment. Not a favor of the serpa holster. Wish they made the .45 in a sub compact for a back up gun.

I wonder when they'll start making the 9mm and the .40 in a compact.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

I have the service 45acp. I shoot IDPA and USPC with it, it is plenty accurate. I think if I was to do it all again I would still get the service model.

eyesopened

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
HOLY CRAP!!! I was not aware of that. I definitely have a new immediate purchase. I have been looking for something like this for a while, but obviously haven't been looking that hard. Thanks for the info, and I'm sure lasermax thanks you too, cause you definitely just made them 339 bucks!
No prob man, hope you like it. The price is the hardest thing for me to swallow. I spent $500 for my compact, and that Lasermax is like 75%

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

I've been looking for something to spend my tax-return on. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't be able to afford it, so I know how what you mean about the price being 3/4 of the cost of the gun.

Edited for poor fraction skills.

Mainsail

imported post

shamalama wrote:
I would assume that the 5" is a bit more accurate because of the longer barrel ...

A 5” barrel is no more or less accurate than a 4” one. You get an inch more sight distance so you might be a bit more accurate.

molonlabetn

imported post

Bigger guns are easier to shoot and hold on target... but in terms of inherent accuracy, the 4" and 5" guns are built to the same tolerances, and should offer equal mechanical precision. The only advantages to the longer barrel are reduced recoil, increased sight-radius, and increased muzzle velocity. The advantages of the shorter barrel are enhanced portability and lighter weight, neither is a major advantage if OCing using a quality holster... so, I'd recommend the 5" gun, there are simply more advantages than not.

MetalChris

imported post

I have the XD45 Service 4", and love it! So far at least 600 rounds have gone through it without any malfunction whatsoever.

Überschall

Activist Member
imported post

shamalama wrote:
I'm looking at purchasing a Springfield Armory XD in .45.  But I haven't yet decided on the Service 4" or Tactical 5".

I would assume that the 5" is a bit more accurate because of the longer barrel and heavier total weight (a whopping 2 more ounces).

There is a 4" .40S&W that has a ported barrel to further confuse me.

Other than that what are the glaring differences between the two, especially to those that have actually shot one or both of them?  I intend on open carrying this OWB.
I personally prefer the Tactical.

A_Deuce

imported post

shamalama wrote:
I'm looking at purchasing a Springfield Armory XD in .45.  But I haven't yet decided on the Service 4" or Tactical 5".

Other than that what are the glaring differences between the two, especially to those that have actually shot one or both of them?  I intend on open carrying this OWB.

There is another option that I have not seen mentioned yet: Tactical Compact. This combination is the long barrel with the short grip. It's not particularly easy to find, but available if you do some searching.

You can use the 13 round magazines to get a full size grip too. Grip size isn't as much of a concern when OC'ing but I find it helps a fair amount when CC'ing. More options always seems better than less to me also.

A_Deuce

nova

imported post

One other difference is in the guide rods and recoil springs. The 4" has a 'captive' guide rod with I believe dual springs. The 5" has a regular guiderod (where the spring and rod are separate components when field stripping) and single spring.

I've been very happy with my 5" especially at the price I got it for.