• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hi

bms429

imported post

Just wanted to post and say hi. I am from Newark DE and an avid gun lover. I am 22 and currently own SIG P229 9mm, Marlin .17, Remington 870 12Ga, Weatherby .300Mag, and soon to be the owner of a GSG-5 which is an MP5 clone in .22lr. I occasionally shoot at Ommelanden and Wilmington Trap Shooting Association. I would like to meet up with you guys in the spring and have a group shoot if you do taht kind of thing. I am also interested in learning more about the CCW process in DE. Maybe some of you could be references for me ;). Just kidding. Anyway, I hope to learn a lot from you guys/gals and all that crap.

B.S

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

bms429 wrote:
Just wanted to post and say hi. I am from Newark DE and an avid gun lover. I am 22 and currently own SIG P229 9mm, Marlin .17, Remington 870 12Ga, Weatherby .300Mag, and soon to be the owner of a GSG-5 which is an MP5 clone in .22lr. I occasionally shoot at Ommelanden and Wilmington Trap Shooting Association. I would like to meet up with you guys in the spring and have a group shoot if you do taht kind of thing. I am also interested in learning more about the CCW process in DE. Maybe some of you could be references for me ;). Just kidding. Anyway, I hope to learn a lot from you guys/gals and all that crap.

B.S
We had three or four of us shoot at Ommelanden just before Christmas and I'm always willing to meet other shooters -- I live over in Bear.

The CCDW process is a pain in the arse... for some detailed information, check the 'My CCDW Journey' thread on this board. In essence, it'll run you about $400 all said in done and you need the following:

10 hour training course that fulfills the requirements in Chapter 11, Section 1441. ($225-250)
5 Character references.
Fingerprint/State Police Background check. ($69)
Publish an ad in the News Journal ($74)
Submit paperwork and application in duplicate (~$35)

Then you wait a few months. :) Agonizing -- glad I just finished the process.

Here're the forms and other instructions: http://courts.delaware.gov/How To/Licenses and Registrations/\

bms429

imported post

Cool. I read in some of your posts that you live over near becks woods or soemthing like that and work in Wilmington. I live down near the kohls on Rt 40 and also work up in Wilmington(13th & Market). I ride transit into wilmington and lets just say there are quite a few interesting characters that ride the busses and run around rodney sq.

The hardest part I think is going to be getting the references because I have a lot of liberal friends and also I have a feeling the judge will look negatively at my age(22). I bought the SIG 2 weeks after my 21st birthday. Been shooting the crap out of it ever since. I must have 2000 rounds through it by now. I really got my hopes up in 2006 when they had the shall issue legislation in the works. Stupid dems putting so many ammendments on it destroyed it. Oh well. Maybe with the next administration(and SCOTUS ruling) things will change a bit for the benefit of gun owners.

Next time I head out to the range I will post up here the night before and maybe someone will be able to join.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Hopefully, you'll be suprised -- be rational and serious when you explain why you want it (in case you're ever put in imminent mortal danger, considering where you work and how you get there)... There've been a LOT of murders in Wilmington over the past year.

I had no problem getting 5 people from work to be my references, but then I work with a lot of people. Maybe some of your older friends would be more willing.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome to OCDO! Another member for Delaware...there may still be hope for that state! :lol:

stephpd

imported post

You might be surprised by your liberal friends. I also work downtown (16th & Walnut) and after talking rationally with coworkers I had no problem getting 5 people as references. By the way, none were ever contacted for the ccdw. Just explain that per capita Wilmington is more dangerous than Philly and you believe in the ability to defend yourself from gang violence. And that with multiple attackers a gun is they only way to protect themselves.

Although this area is labeled as liberal there are many folks who think crime is out of hand and self defence is a right. If after you get your permit they might also think that carrying is a good idea. Then you can be a reference for them. One of the people that I used as a reference asked me if he could use me. Point out that the more people that legally carry the lower the crime rate. Criminals are more afraid of us then the police. We don't have to try to talk them out of commiting a crime and are more likely to shoot the bad guy.

Luckily the place I work at (City of Wilmington) doesn't prohibit me from carrying. Wynder works at a school so carrying on the job is a no no. Not sure if he can leave his gun in the car on school property. I just wouldn't admit it.

I got my ccdw back in sept. and have been carring everyday since. Still puts pressure on my hip and can get sore after walking for a while. Now that the weather has gotten colder I moved the gun up to a pocket in my vest. During the summer I wear just swim trunks and a t-shirt and use a smartcarry.

I encourage you and everone I talk to about guns to get your permit and carry. You'll feel safer and the more law abiding citizens that carry the less crime. Sounds to good to be true but it's been a proven fact in many states.

Just wish Delaware had more resiprosity with other states. I also got a PA permit since I live in Claymont and find myself in PA frequently. No hope for NJ or MD, they don't think their resedents need to protect themselves. Delaware may be descretionary issue but many people have started getting permits and they are not as strict on who can carry as threy use to be. It takes a while and until you see the permit in your hand you think they can always say no. I wasn't sure they would let me carry concealed and was shocked and delighted when I got mine.

Best of luck.:lol:

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Luckily the place I work at (City of Wilmington) doesn't prohibit me from carrying. Wynder works at a school so carrying on the job is a no no. Not sure if he can leave his gun in the car on school property. I just wouldn't admit it.
Checking the school policy, if I can get a special dispensation from the campus director, I'd be golden. Don't know if I'll persue that just yet, but CCDW's are (technically) exempt from the school/recreation safe zone act, so I can leave it in the car, but I wouldn't think of it without a lockbox.

bms429

imported post

Wynder,

I assume you're over at DTCC. Do you know a guy named Phil. He teaches something to do with childhood education. Just curious.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

bms429 wrote:
Wynder,

I assume you're over at DTCC. Do you know a guy named Phil. He teaches something to do with childhood education. Just curious.

Don't know a Phil, though I'd probably recognize a last name -- either way, we're on polar ends of the campus, physically and subject-wise. :)

dave_in_delaware

imported post

Just wanted to say "greetings and welcome!" to another Delawarean!

I live in Wilmington (and New Castle) and work in Centreville.

So I take it that you're not ready to OC on the DART busses yet? LOL. :what:

radnor

imported post

Hi and welcome!

I liked the comment about the Dart bus..... :what: I could just see it now... My kid use to ride the bus when he worked at the mall. He said some VERY interesting people ride the bus late at night.

bms429

imported post

wondering if i should start my own ccdw journey thread or not. I have 2 or 3 references already lined up. working on the 4th and 5th. once i have my refs i plan on getting the background check and fingerprinting done(should be cheap or free since my moms business partner is a LEO). Then I guess the news journal. Can you guys who did this process already give me an idea of what needs to be put in the news journal? Who did you talk to and that kind of stuff.

My brother(25) and i are both doing this process at the same time. it will suck if one gets accepted and the other denied.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

bms429 wrote:
wondering if i should start my own ccdw journey thread or not. I have 2 or 3 references already lined up. working on the 4th and 5th. once i have my refs i plan on getting the background check and fingerprinting done(should be cheap or free since my moms business partner is a LEO). Then I guess the news journal. Can you guys who did this process already give me an idea of what needs to be put in the news journal? Who did you talk to and that kind of stuff.

My brother(25) and i are both doing this process at the same time. it will suck if one gets accepted and the other denied.

Call the News Journal and let them know you need to place a legal notice. They'll transfer you to the right department -- then tell them you're making application for a concealed deadly weapon permit. They'll fax you over the form... they have a template they use, so you supply your full name and address, no initials.

Once you've gotten all of your references, schedule the fingerprinting ASAP... the next earliest appointment can be up to a month away, so this can be time consuming. You may even want to call now to see when the next available appointment is.

bms429

imported post

Thanks for that info. Im not too worried bout the finger printing. Like i said, my moms business partner is a state LEO and he said he will help us out. but I will heed your advise and get things moving. maybe I will have my permit by the end of summer. haha. I have a draft of my reason for the permit. If I post it, will you review it and tear it to shreds and help me make it better?

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

bms429 wrote:
Thanks for that info. Im not too worried bout the finger printing. Like i said, my moms business partner is a state LEO and he said he will help us out. but I will heed your advise and get things moving. maybe I will have my permit by the end of summer. haha. I have a draft of my reason for the permit. If I post it, will you review it and tear it to shreds and help me make it better?

Sure thing -- fire away. :) Are you planning on taking your training course before or after your application is approved?

bms429

imported post

probably before. I could always use some training or teaching when it comes to guns. Plus I just spent 700 on a new gun. whats 200 when compared to that, right? haha.

on a side note....i jsut bought some hogue rubber grips for my 229. they are amazing. the gun just feels like its part of your body. I might have to get a pair for the 239 once i get it.

bms429

imported post

Here is what I have so far:

I desire a perit for personal safety in case i am ever put in imminent mortal danger while in downtown wilmington where violent crime and murder rates per capita are high and rising. A permit will also allow for me the better protect my familyin case their lives are ever threatened.

It almost seems too limiting by naming wilmington, but I need that in there cause I work there. Any ideas/input/criticism are greatly appreciated.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

bms429 wrote:
Here is what I have so far:

I desire a perit for personal safety in case i am ever put in imminent mortal danger while in downtown wilmington where violent crime and murder rates per capita are high and rising. A permit will also allow for me the better protect my familyin case their lives are ever threatened.

It almost seems too limiting by naming wilmington, but I need that in there cause I work there. Any ideas/input/criticism are greatly appreciated.

Remember that the person ultimately reading this will be a judge, so be sure to address the letter as though you're speaking to the judiciary. Maybe something along the lines of...

"I respectfully request that the court grant my application for a license to carry a concealed deadly weapon on the grounds of personal defense and for the defense of my family should I ever be in imminent mortal danger. As a person who works in northern Delaware, I spend a good deal in my life in urban areas where, as I'm sure you're aware, violent crime is on the rise."

I'd also probably mention something about hoping to never need it... perhaps, something like: "Though I'll gladly hand away my wallet or the keys to my car without quarrel, the one thing I do wish is the discretion in the method I wish carry my firearm so that I may adequately defend my life."

Just my opinion. :)