• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shopper pulls gun, stops robbery cold

stxrebel

imported post

this situation could of ended badly for the employee if the perp was a hardened criminal he could of easily taken the clerk out by the time the other guy can jack a round...you have to learn when to draw and when not to, and its not wise to do it with no round in the chamber

tarzan1888

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
But isn't the party line around here, "If you're comfortable with using your gun to scare an attacker, then it's fiiiiine"?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I will not draw my weapon unless a life is in danger.

I have to feel that there is a clear and present danger.

I will draw and fire until the danger is stopped.

I would never draw with the intent to scare anyone.

Again I can't speak for the Bozos who would. :banghead:

Tarzan

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

On the home invader and racking the shotgun: I would rack it on my way down the stairs, before I encounter/see him. Maybe he'll change his mind when he hears it and will run off. But if I see him, he's not leaving my house alive.

If I were in a life/death situation, and I had to draw my weapon, firing would depend on who (if anyone) is behind the BG. I would hate to end a criminals life AND an innocent bystander. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

protector84

imported post

Still missing the point. Why isn't your shotgun racked to begin with? By the time you hear the criminal breaking in, he could already be inside the house.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

+1

If I pull my gun, it's because I'm shooting it.

And if he had started shooting, instead of just walking out with a couple of bucks, GG just made the situation worse, and I would say could be criminally liable.

What's the law on OC in Indiana? I know in California for example, you are only allowed to OC unloaded.

Decoligny

imported post

timf343 wrote:
+1

If I pull my gun, it's because I'm shooting it.

And if he had started shooting, instead of just walking out with a couple of bucks, GG just made the situation worse, and I would say could be criminally liable.

What's the law on OC in Indiana? I know in California for example, you are only allowed to OC unloaded.
That's only in the incoprorated areas (within incorporated city limits). You can OC loaded anywhere that shooting a weapon isn't prohibited in the unincorporated areas. Most of the prohibited areas arepublic streets, within 1000 feet of K-12 school, inside post offices, inside buildings that by law have to be open for public meetings (govt type). Many people don't realize just how much of California isn't incorporated.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

protector84 wrote:
Still missing the point. Why isn't your shotgun racked to begin with? By the time you hear the criminal breaking in, he could already be inside the house.
The only gun I have one in the chamber at all times is my carry gun, I don't feel comfortable having loaded/chambered guns lying around the house that aren't in my control. It's just my personal preference.

MetalChris

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:

I second this.
Third-ed! :celebrateYou never know when you might have to grab that shotty in the middle of the night (or whenever)and not have time to rack that first round! You must ALWAYS be ready!

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

If I don't have time to grab the shotty and rack a round, then it's a ninja breaking into my house who's already silentlykilled my 3 well-trained-to-bark-at-anythingdogs (1 Great Dane and 2 Pomeranian yippers) and is already headed up the second flight of stairs orin my room. If that's the case, then okay, I should have had one racked, but then who's to say he hasn't already killed me before I realize I need to grab the shotgun?

Weak 9mm

imported post

If that's the case, then okay, I should have had one racked, but then who's to say he hasn't already killed me before I realize I need to grab the shotgun?

I agree that with your dogs it probably isn't likely that you won't hear them before they're on you. Certainly do what works best for you, and don't think that this is in any way attempting to put down your method.

My take on it is that the scenario is entirely possible, but why would one go ahead and assume beforehand that they'll be helpless in any situation in which they don't have time to rack it? What if the ninja finally slacks up on his skillz for a second and trips coming up the stairs towards the bedroom? The thug's thud awakens you, but you have only seconds to compose yourself and shoot. I wouldn't want to assume that racking it will make them run, in fact I think you'd need to assume that picking it up and racking it may cause them to charge in immediately, especially if they're armed and they not only hear it, but see what's going on. If I pick up the shotgun in response to a possible illegal entry or attempted entry, I don't want to give away my position by racking it before I even know what's going on. Some people seem to want to run out and start yelling at the attacker, but I'd like to at least have the option of silently clearing my home. If I come face to face with the attacker, then deciding what to do will come at that time.

As others have also pointed out, long guns are not too great for holding in someone's face at super short range either. There's a lot of barrel and mag tube for the attacker to grab onto and direct elsewhere. The less time and noise it takes for you to ready the weapon in an attack of this nature the better.

Btw, nobody can accidentally end up in my home, and I hope yours and other folks on here are the same. That way there's no question once they're inside, that they intended to be inside. They'd have to break through multiple locks in either door, or through locked or inoperable windows, which are all located above bushes or my front porch. Either way, that's not going to be an accident. Once they're inside, I don't plan on worrying about making a bunch of noise in the chance that they might want to leave. If they're armed, all I may have done is give away my position and the fact that I'm armed. If I were to always leave it unloaded, I'd always be forced to make noise before confronting them, and would not even have the option to silently approach or to just hold tight in the bedroom with the gun ready.

If you leave 1 in the chamber with a full mag tube, you could still cycle the action if you REALLY wanted in an attempt to scare them off. It also wouldn't leave you with any less ammunition in the shotgun, even if you ejected the first cartridge by prematurely cycling the action for effect, than you have when you leave the chamber empty. Just some thoughts to consider.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

You make a very valid point about ammo consumption. I never thought of that. I always have a round chambered in the .45 on my nightstand though, so if I don't have time, I'm reaching for that. If I have time, I'll grab em both and rack a round. There's only one way into my bedroom, if I don't hear the intruder leave, my girl's on the line with 911, and I'm killin somebody. (Especially with all the lawsuits he could throw at me if I only injure him.)

Just tonight, me and my girlfriend were watching TV. The great dane (Kronos) walked calmly to the backdoor, stood there for a second, yawned, and then suddenly starts barking, snowling and jumping at the door. I immediatley went red, drew my sidearm (I carry in my house, condition 1), told my girlfriend to head upstairs and get the shotgun,and stayed out of view of the door (french doors, all glass.) When Kronos stopped growling, I decided to clear the backyard, with Kronos heading out first. Now, keep in mind my backyard is about 25x20. Not very big, but there is a shed to hide behind. Kronos went straight behind the shed and around it, then straight to the fence that leads to our driveway and was sniffing arround a brick pile we have there for the cats to get out.

I figure one of two things happened. Either A: He's a dumb dog and was growling at nothing, or an animal and picked up it's scent when we went outside. Or B: someone was in my backyard, and escaped over the fence where the brickpile was. I'm not saying either one, but Kronos hasen't stopped looking out the back door all night. And the shotgun has had a round in the chamber all night.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pointing an unloaded weapon at someone is stupid - pointing an unloaded weapon at someone who also has a weapon is suicidal. I appreciate and applaud the mans bravery and hope that he has learned a lesson to carry in condition 1 or 2 from now on depending on his firearm.

ace1001

imported post

There are VERY few guns that are safe to carry with one in the tube and racking the gun is an identifiable sound. This is why I usually carry revolvers. If I were out of his line of sight, he would hear FREEZE, or STOP at the exact moment he hears the slide drop. Then what he does or doesn't do in the next 1/4 second, determines how many orifices his body will have. A revolver with a transfer bar has six faster shots, but only six, so you have to learn to shoot where you aim. This is good because I don't have blanket immunity for the ones that miss, like a LEO. Ace

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
ace1001 wrote:
There are VERY few guns that are safe to carry with one in the tube.
Huh? Most modern self-defense handguns are safe to carry with one in the tube, whether semi-autos or revolvers.
Yeah, that statement confused me as well. Even a GLOCK, with no manual safety and only a trigger safety, is safe in the right hands. safety isa mindset, not a mechanism.