• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti-RKBA quote from Sandy PD Sgt

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Strange story on today's KSL website about the number of Sandy cops on leave due to officer involved shootings that contains a downright bizarre statement. A Sgt. Quezada suggests that the number of CCW permits being issued is reason for officers to be concerned. How many LAWFULLY carried firearms (be that with a permit, or legally without) are EVER used against an officer? The criminals have always carried guns, regardless of the law. I think we are simply seeing an increase in the number of violent criminals roaming our streets which is one reason more and more good guys are getting permits and carrying guns.

Have ANY of these recent shootings involved a person with a CCW permit? Not likely. One suspect was out on bail. So no permit there for sure.

I think a few calls to the Chief of the Sandy City PD are in order to ask how this kind of irrational thinking among officers is not being corrected. I think "Officer Quezada" needs someone to explain to him the difference between the good guys and the criminals.

The Sandy City PD can be contacted at 801-568-7214. Ask to speak with the Chief, or, if he is not available, with the Lieutenant or Duty Sergeant who is.

The Mayor's office can be reached at 568-7109.

Charles

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=2425910

Excerpt:

"You know with the concealed weapons permits that are handed out nowadays, I know we have a lot more guns out there in vehicles. That raises my concern and other officers' concerns greatly, there's no question," Quezada said.

Update: 4 Sandy police officers on leave following officer-involved shootings
January 3rd, 2008 @ 4:06pm

Gene Kennedy reporting

Four Sandy City police officers are currently on paid administrative leave because of officer-involved shootings. That is the most officers Sandy has ever had on paid leave at once, according to police.

Sgt. Victor Quezada said, "For the workforce part, we'll muddle through it. We've got a 118-man department, so we're OK that way. The citizens won't be neglected. However, for our officers, we want to make sure they're OK."

Three of the four officers were involved in shooting Patrick Rees to death at his home. They were assisting a bail bondsman in revoking Rees' bail. Police say Rees pulled a gun on them.

The fourth officer on leave stems from a traffic stop shooting. On Dec. 30, an officer pulled over a car, and a passenger -- 23-year-old Heron Gonzales -- allegedly fired at the officer.

"You know with the concealed weapons permits that are handed out nowadays, I know we have a lot more guns out there in vehicles. That raises my concern and other officers' concerns greatly, there's no question," Quezada said.

On New Year's Day a Sandy police officer pulled over a car and the passenger shot himself in the chest. The officer was not involved, so has not been put on paid leave, but we bring it up because there's been a rash of recent shootings in Sandy.

A detective with the department tells KSL two of the officers involved in the Rees shooting will be back to work this weekend. The district attorney reviewed that case and will not take any action against the three officers.

Meantime, the D.A. is still reviewing the traffic stop shooting.

Shaolin

imported post

What is this dude talking about? What does this have to do with a CCW? No one in any of those incidents were CCW permit holders.