• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

just a thought... and a few questions

uncoolperson

imported post

while gearing up for starting school at WWU, i was reading the various regs they have (dang, work seems more inviting than the school).

are campus cops actualy police? or are they security?

ooo... and another one i thought of, apparently the school can fine me ($100+) for having expired tabs on my car... where do they get that authority? If the authority comes from being a state/government entity wouldn't that argument be useful the next time CC or OC on college grounds for students comes up (not that it's not always an issue, just saying) and they say it's akin to private prop?

just thinking i can have a car in my (private not rented) driveway with no tabs, no plates, no insurance (and i can drive it drunk if i feel like it...just proving a point) for as long as i feel like.... because it ain't on a public roadway.

joeroket

imported post

As long as the school admins follow the legal requirements for creating a WAC then they, as long as it is done correctly, have the authority to enforce those WAC's. They are civil penalties only.

As far as your analogy goes it is fairly flawed. You do not have to be on a public roadway to be arrested for DUI or reckless endangerment.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=34.05 is what gives them the authority to create WAC's.

j2l3

imported post

uncoolperson wrote:

Depends on the campus. The UW in Seattle has an actual police department. They attend the same academy as all the other police in the state and have the same authority. Check the website. It should tell you more about them.

just_a_car

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
uncoolperson wrote:

Depends on the campus. The UW in Seattle has an actual police department. They attend the same academy as all the other police in the state and have the same authority. Check the website. It should tell you more about them.

In fact, the UWPD is one of only two PD's that I know of that are "Nationally Accredited" (not an easy accredidation to get), the other being Edmonds PD. All other's that I've seen are only state accredited or not accredited at all. You can see it on the upper rear quarter panel of most patrol cars if they have it as they are proud to receive accredidation.

uncoolperson

imported post

joeroket wrote:
As long as the school admins follow the legal requirements for creating a WAC then they, as long as it is done correctly, have the authority to enforce those WAC's. They are civil penalties only.

As far as your analogy goes it is fairly flawed. You do not have to be on a public roadway to be arrested for DUI or reckless endangerment.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=34.05 is what gives them the authority to create WAC's.
huh, didn't know that... i was told differently, but now after research (i gotta start remembering to do that), i see... thanks for pointing that out.

is it valid now?

just thinking i can have a car in my (private not rented) driveway with no tabs, no plates, no insurance for as long as i feel like.... because it ain't on a public roadway.

joeroket

imported post

uncoolperson wrote:
joeroket wrote:

huh, didn't know that... i was told differently, but now after research (i gotta start remembering to do that), i see... thanks for pointing that out.

is it valid now?

just thinking i can have a car in my (private not rented) driveway with no tabs, no plates, no insurance for as long as i feel like.... because it ain't on a public roadway.

LOL Yea I guess that would be a valid point. I have been told alot of things that are "law" by people who sounded like they were confident in what they were saying. It wasn't until I started researching the RCW's and reading them that I found that a majority of people think they know because it sounds logical but in fact they are way off base. No harm no foul, I'm just glad you didn't test your theory.:D

joeroket

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
j2l3 wrote:
uncoolperson wrote:

In fact, the UWPD is one of only two PD's that I know of that are "Nationally Accredited" (not an easy accredidation to get), the other being Edmonds PD. All other's that I've seen are only state accredited or not accredited at all. You can see it on the upper rear quarter panel of most patrol cars if they have it as they are proud to receive accredidation.
There are 14 agencies in Wa. that arenationally accredited according to http://www.calea.org

Not nearly enough in my opinion.

uncoolperson

imported post

http://www.ps.wwu.edu/police/about/index.aspx

The Western Washington University Police Department employs 14 police officers, all of whom are commissioned by the state of Washington. They receive the same training and are invested with the same powers and authority as other police officers in the state, including the authority to make arrests.

The WWU Police Department has primary responsibility for law enforcement on campus and works closely with the Bellingham Police Department and other law enforcement agencies in areas of mutual jurisdiction. University Police officers investigate all crimes reported on campus and enforce all applicable criminal and traffic laws. Persons arrested by officers have their cases adjudicated in local courts.
now i've started again... i'm going to be diging around the rcw's for awhile now, thanks

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=28B.10.572
thats cool

just_a_car

imported post

joeroket wrote:
There are 14 agencies in Wa. that arenationally accredited according to http://www.calea.org

Actually it shows 16 with 6 of them being self-assessed.

What's interesting is that I see UWPD on the list, but not Edmonds and I know I've seen it on their cars. I'll have to go into the main office and ask who gave them accredidation.

uncoolperson

imported post

okay, so 290 preempts local laws and ordinances.

since the legal law enforcement of a university is the police force

which also enforces the WAC saying i can't have a gun (makes it a law of sorts right?)

and the WAC saying i can't have a gun, is a locally applied law.

wouldn't that be preempted with

Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law.

sorry, i know I'm beating a dead horse..... but reading this stuff, making me wonder more than when i just heard this stuff.

just_a_car

imported post

uncoolperson, I wondered the same thing and can't conclusively say either way, but I figure that if state law says they can make the WAC as law, then .290 supports that, since it's state law that allows them to do that, not their own local laws.

That's just my non-lawyer interpretation.

cut_cutta

imported post

I'm not sure what exact authority WWU campus security officers have, but I can tell you that they are *NOT* police. They don't carry guns, I'm not even sure if they can legally pull you over while driving. Pretty much they just drive around, looking for prowlers and pot smokers. They call the real police if the need arises. Sometimes, the real police do patrol the university, as well.

My gf lives right down the street from WWU and has been going there for the last couple years, and I would highly advise that if you are going to be a student at WWU, that you do not carry a handgun, especially open carry, if you value your education. At the minimum, you would be forced to forfeit your funds for the quarter of classes, forfeit the credits you had been taking classes for that quarter. As a non-student, you could only be trespessed, which isnt that big a deal, but still not worth the drama. I've had no problem with OCing around the rest of bellingham though, but I've heard some bad stories. Let me know when ur in town man, i'll buy ya a beer.

uncoolperson

imported post

cut_cutta wrote:
Let me know when ur in town man, i'll buy ya a beer.

I'm always in b-ham... aside from when i don't want to smell no more patchouli

let me know again when you're up here and i'll have to make the leap from C to O.

joeroket

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
joeroket wrote:

Actually it shows 16 with 6 of them being self-assessed.

What's interesting is that I see UWPD on the list, but not Edmonds and I know I've seen it on their cars. I'll have to go into the main office and ask who gave them accredidation.
We must have used different search criteria. I searched for US, Wa, Law Enforcement Accredation. This one shows 14 but yours makes more sense since the UW says they joined 15 other agencies in the accredation.

joeroket

imported post

uncoolperson wrote:
okay, so 290 preempts local laws and ordinances.

since the legal law enforcement of a university is the police force

which also enforces the WAC saying i can't have a gun (makes it a law of sorts right?)

and the WAC saying i can't have a gun, is a locally applied law.

wouldn't that be preempted with

Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law.

sorry, i know I'm beating a dead horse..... but reading this stuff, making me wonder more than when i just heard this stuff.
You have to remember that WAC's only carry a civil penalty. It is a rule not a law that they use to say you cannot carry on the campus. I think it is BS that they can create rules that go against law and constitution but I have not found any cases where it has been brought in front of a judge to challenge it constitutionally.

heresolong

imported post

joeroket wrote:
You have to remember that WAC's only carry a civil penalty. It is a rule not a law that they use to say you cannot carry on the campus. I think it is BS that they can create rules that go against law and constitution but I have not found any cases where it has been brought in front of a judge to challenge it constitutionally.
The problem of course being that someone, a student, has to get busted for it and go through the court process in order to have the challenge. I was there and chose not to because I wanted to finish my grad school and start my new career more than I wanted to test the constitutionality of the law.

heresolong

imported post

uncoolperson wrote:
cut_cutta wrote:

let me know again when you're up here and i'll have to make the leap from C to O.
Maybe we should have a Whatcom County get to gether soon. Just something simple like coffee.

uncoolperson

imported post

heresolong wrote:
uncoolperson wrote:
cut_cutta wrote:

Maybe we should have a Whatcom County get to gether soon. Just something simple like coffee.
whatcom county, coffee.. yeah that goes together. Weekends for me, starting school tuesday (8 credits), and the full-time job leave little weekday room.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/6737.html

Morris

North of Seattlle, South of Canada, Washington, US
imported post

WWU does have a PD department, CJTC certified peace officers. They also have a campus security attachment. Every public 4 year has it's own PD, CWU, EWU, UWPD, WWU.

And accredation is not all that it is cracked up to be. Looks nice on paper but in reality does not offer an advantage versus non-accredited. Also, it's amazingly expensive and often unaffordable for smaller agencies. Don't look at accredation as making a department better. It doesn't always parlay that way.

just_a_car

imported post

Okay, so I just stopped by the Edmonds PD and asked why they weren't listed as Nationally Accredited anymore and the lady at the desk told me that when the Chief of Police passed away not too long ago, they lost thier National Accredidation, but retain their State Accredidation. They decided not to put the man-hours of a currently-understaffed department towards getting National Accredidation and instead just have them out on the street doing their job. I whole-heartedly agree with their decision.