• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

just a thought... and a few questions

Morris

North of Seattlle, South of Canada, Washington, US
imported post

Accrediation is a long and labor intensive process. Many agencies in the state already have CALEA approved policy packages in place due to insurer demands. Our policy is CALEA based and can be converted if we proceed that way. But the cost in personnel hours, general costs and so on can be $35K and up, depending on the size of the agency.

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

OK, I'm a noob and have been lurking here for awhile, but I need to share this story from my days at WWU in the '80s . . .

I lived off campus and worked into theevenings. While off campus I always CCed, and usually left my PT99 at home. I would return to get it before work.

One day for a reason I don't recall, I ended up on campus while carrying. I stopped by the PD and told the student receptionist that I wanted to leave a firearm with them while on campus. She asked where it was, and I removed it from the holster (clip already out). Locked back the slide and handed it to her butt first. (I would probably do this differently today with much more experience, because I think the poor girl probably wet herself and I certainly didn't mean to cause her any alarm! At all times the muzzle was pointed safely . . . )

Anyway, two or three hours later I return to the PD to retrieve my piece. Same girl says, "The Lt. would like to talk to you."

"s**t." I think. I'm screwed.

The Lt. comes out carrying my pistol, and hands it to me. He says they were wondering why I left it with them. "Because I thought firearms were prohibited on campus," I reply. "Only in the residence halls," he says. Then he proceeds to ask me why I chose the Taurus, how I like it, says that some of the officers were considering it and they wanted my opinion. He was very professional and cool about it all.

Now -- you won't believe this! He says, "You know, we're an unarmed police force, so if something bad happens we have to call the Bellingham Police. We would actually like to know there are a few armed and law-abiding citizens on campus. You can carry any time you want to." (maybe not a direct quote, but very close)

I thanked him and left. An CCed nearly every day the next two years at WWU.:celebrate

Only once was I "made" by another student -- I carried in a vertical SH sometimes, and he walked by and patted me on the back -- ON the holster. Thought something might come of it, but if he had called WWU PD, they would have said, "yah, we know about him!"

What happened to the good ol' days?

uncoolperson

imported post

Charles Paul Lincoln wrote:
What happened to the good ol' days?

not so old, really...

you know that email that goes around about life in the fifties and the shotgun in someone's car at high school....

when i was in middle school a teacher had a few shotguns in their car from duck hunting that morning.... a few students asked the principal and he said "it's okay, he was duck hunting this morning..." (in Blaine, not some rural [well not really] town).

13 or so years ago, and to think even mentioning it today could get me cuffed.