• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recording in AZ

PavePusher

imported post

What are the laws on voice/video recording of public encounters in AZ? I suppose I should probably learn this before possibly getting in trouble. My google-fu is weak today... TIA!

bbvk05

imported post

I asked a lawyer about this a while back.

In public (places where you have no expectation of privacy, like anywhere outside your home) you may record anything you want... including other people talking.

In private places (including inside someones house or on the phone) at least one party must know that they are being recorded. So if you are talking to someone on the phone and recording it, your knowing that it is being recorded is sufficient.

Basically I believe that you just can't secretly tap into peoples houses and phones. If you have a recorder in your pocket and the police show up and dont know about it thats their problem.

Ca Patriot

I just use the built-in recorder on my iPhone. Works great up to several yards away.

Thats what I use as well. It works great. However, when I OC, I enable the password protect feature so the police cant stop my recording or erase it later.
Just a tip.

mFonz77

Thats what I use as well. It works great. However, when I OC, I enable the password protect feature so the police cant stop my recording or erase it later.
Just a tip.

I keep that enabled 24/7. I also have the option enabled that will erase the phone if the wrong passcode is entered 10 times (mainly because I use some financial apps and whatnot). However, the police have a real easy way to "accidentally" erase the recording by dropping your phone in a puddle.

Last edited:

Phoenix David

Just a tip.

I have read in a lot of place that they need to carry voice and sometimes video recording because of police harassment. I like to think that these measures are not needed in Arizona because our laws are more Constitutional and our police are smarter than other states.

But never hurts to be prepared