• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"someone" was carrying this morning in Maryland...just not me

echo6tango

imported post

Why would a Maryland resident have a need to carry a firearm for protection (I mean besides the whole constitutional thing)? The answer to that question is another question...What's the chance a shootout followed by a carjacking would occur inthe middle of rush hour traffic in Maryland?

http://www.nbc4.com/news/14977213/detail.html?dl=headlineclick

I drive this route every morning withthree to four lanes of packed traffic. Duty to retreat? How about no chance to retreat. Makes me feel more every day likea member of a herd of sheep waiting patiently in line for slaughter.

The shooter/carjacker was last seen traveling north on Route 210, probably right into D.C. And we all know how they feel about guns in that city...Maybe he was on his way to sell his gun at one of the District's gun buy back events.

attached camera phone pic is of one of the scenes on 210...I apologize in advance for the quality of the pic

Attachments

• 210.jpg
    210.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 639

PavePusher

imported post

"In an effort to cut down on car thefts, police are giving $70 tickets to anyone caught warming up a car and leaving it unattended."

WTH?!

Is that legal? How about giving tickets to people skulking around looking for cars.... Punish the innocent, that'll teach those pesky car thieves!

echo6tango

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
"In an effort to cut down on car thefts, police are giving $70 tickets to anyone caught warming up a car and leaving it unattended."

WTH?!

Is that legal? How about giving tickets to people skulking around looking for cars.... Punish the innocent, that'll teach those pesky car thieves!
Punish the thieves? Those guys are too hard to catch! The car owners on the other hand, they know right where to find them! I heard a news report this evening that there were over 7,800 cars stolen in the first 9 months of 2007 in PG County (the MD county where this incident occurred). That's like 29 cars a day! There must be some pretty over worked car thieves around here!

Tomahawk

imported post

echo6tango wrote:
PavePusher wrote:

WTH?!

Punish the thieves? Those guys are too hard to catch! The car owners on the other hand, they know right where to find them! I heard a news report this evening that there were over 7,800 cars stolen in the first 9 months of 2007 in PG County (the MD county where this incident occurred). That's like 29 cars a day! There must be some pretty over worked car thieves around here!

Exactly. Law-making andenforcement is not based on a sense of justice, it's based on getting the desired results such as revenue generation (fines) and behaviour modification (through fear of fines or jail time). The fact that this means punishing those who aren't commiting property crimes or harming people is way down the list.

The same goes for gun control. The fact that Maryland's gun laws make you an easy victim on the beltway is just something you're going to have accept. It's not just, but that's not the point. What is important is that you do as you're told, leave your gun at home, and pay your taxes. Justice is not the goal, compliance and dependence is.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

The fact that Maryland's gun laws make you an easy victim on the beltway is just something you're going to have accept.

Or move, like I did. MD sucks.

echo6tango

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Exactly. Law-making andenforcement is not based on a sense of justice, it's based on getting the desired results such as revenue generation (fines) and behaviour modification (through fear of fines or jail time). The fact that this means punishing those who aren't commiting property crimes or harming people is way down the list.

The same goes for gun control. The fact that Maryland's gun laws make you an easy victim on the beltway is just something you're going to have accept. It's not just, but that's not the point. What is important is that you do as you're told, leave your gun at home, and pay your taxes. Justice is not the goal, compliance and dependence is.
That's the best summation of Maryland "justice" and the mentality towards its citizens that I've heard yet :D. That's worthy of imprinting on MD license plates as the state motto. One state has "Live Free or Die," MD's will be "Suck It Up, It Could be Worse" :lol:. I gotta go call the MD DMV now to see what they think

echo6tango

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
The fact that Maryland's gun laws make you an easy victim on the beltway is just something you're going to have accept.

Rub it in! I was born and raised in Virginia, but I am currently a subject of the Kingdom of Maryland. The wife and I have been in the planning phase of moving back to Virginia for a while now. As soon as we get out from under a mortgage payment here, it's back to the land of freedom! We do spend every spare day in Va, pretending were citizens of a free state. One day...one day, hopefully before we're gunned down at the Farm Fresh...
:celebrate

Heck, I'm probably the only person driving around with MD license plates with a VCDL sticker in the window...kinda like having "Born to Kill" written on my helmet and a peace button on my flak...

PT111

imported post

PavePusher wrote:

WTH?!

Read your insurance policy very closely. Cars left unattendedwith keys in them may not be covered if stolen. It has long been a law in many states to not leave untended cars running. Also in you leve in unlocked and someone steals something from it that may not be covered.

casullshooter

imported post

When you get ready to leave the Peoples Republic of Maryland I can hook you up with a great Realtor in VA(not me) that is very good at getting concessions for the buyer.

Gov. O'Malley appreciates your hard work to support his lifstyle.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

echo6tango wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

Rub it in! I was born and raised in Virginia, but I am currently a subject of the Kingdom of Maryland. The wife and I have been in the planning phase of moving back to Virginia for a while now. As soon as we get out from under a mortgage payment here, it's back to the land of freedom! We do spend every spare day in Va, pretending were citizens of a free state. One day...one day, hopefully before we're gunned down at the Farm Fresh...
:celebrate

Heck, I'm probably the only person driving around with MD license plates with a VCDL sticker in the window...kinda like having "Born to Kill" written on my helmet and a peace button on my flak...

WA: No state income tax, open carry is legal, CC is must issue... About the exact opposite of MD. My mom lives about 10 minutes from 495/210 where that picture was taken... I remember that area well....

POS.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Don't you just love it. Lets pass a law to punish the citizen because they wanted to warm-up their car. How dare you do something lawful and that lawful act my gives the BG an opportunity to break the law.

casullshooter

imported post

Car theft has become as common as spitting on the sidewalk in the hellhole known as PG county Maryland. The cops don't want to spend time on stolen cars with all the murders and drugs taking their time. It is not fair but it is the way it is. The other problem is that car theft is not punished to any great extent which perpetuates the cycle.

Now if we started hanging car thieves like we used to hang horse thieves.....
idea.gif

TechnoWeenie

imported post

casullshooter wrote:
Car theft has become as common as spitting on the sidewalk in the hellhole known as PG county Maryland. The cops don't want to spend time on stolen cars with all the murders and drugs taking their time. It is not fair but it is the way it is. The other problem is that car theft is not punished to any great extent which perpetuates the cycle.

Now if we started hanging car thieves like we used to hang horse thieves.....
idea.gif

I actually caught a guy trying to steal my car when I lived in PG county, I held him, cops showed up, and since he hadn't broken in (tried to slim-jim, unsuccessfully), there was no damage to the vehicle, and nothing was taken, no law had been broken. Apparently at the time TRYING to break in wasn't against the law, he actually had to be IN the car, break a window, etc in order to be charged.. The very polite and informative officers explained that in situations like that, it's a he-said, she-said, since there's no evidence.. Kind've like if the 'suspect' accused me of assault, there's no witnesses, and no proof that I actually hit him *wink, wink*.... It turned out to be a bad night for him after all.. :D

trUsty

imported post

i think i should get hazardous duty pay for the drive through PG on my way to work..

you'd think that the traffic alone is bad enough.:?