• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

USA Today Second Amendment Poll

Ajetpilot

imported post

In March, the Supreme Court will hear arguments on the D.C. Gun Ban case. I think itwill bethe first decision regarding the Second Amendment in nearly seventy years. The results of this poll might be published later this month. The question is poorly worded:

Does the Second Amendment give individuals the right to bear arms?

As we all know, our rights are not "given" to us by the Constitution. The Constitution was written by The People, places limits on the government, and"guarantees" our rights.

That said, I had to overlook USA Today's error, and I voted yes.

phiche92

imported post

ABSOLUTLY! I just voted 97% 302860 votes. I don't know why or how it could even be in question and I would think the Supreme court would have other things that it could spend it's time debating

NetRanger

imported post

I just went and voted, there are now 315357 that have voted. What amazed me is there are over 6,000 people out there that voted no (2%). That means there are that many active people, that have actually went to the site that are set against 2nd Ammendment, or that many that are activley ignorant of the 2nd Ammendment (choose to not want to fully understand). :shock:Just a thought!!

Gene Beasley

imported post

I found one of the more interesting reads on THR Library called The Five-Minute Handbook a while back. I re-read it every time I happen upon an media poll on firearms. No denigration of OCDO members intended. I think that we have more than our fair share of activists that have really made a change in their locale and/or WA (and certainly more experienced and equipped than I am). For what it's worth, I voted, knowing full well that it means nothing. But hey, if I can watch a 3-minute vid to find out if something will blend, I can blow some time on an Internet poll.

And now for something completely different (I fear that I am dating myself...) and OT. Has anyone else noticed that the TV writers strike has had little or no effect on their lives - or has improved whatever time spent in front of the tube? Seems like miscalculation on the timing (if there ever was good timing). More a rhetorical observation than anything.

Springfield45

imported post

Grr ... Tried to vote but I don't think I have the proper plugin to make it work properly .... :( Either that or it doesn't like me ... oh well I'll get it figured out and take another shot at it tonight..... :)

~~Springfield

Phssthpok

imported post

I wonder how many of those ~6000 'no' voters are interpreting the question LITERALLY.

As noted previously, the Constitution doesn't GRANT any rights.... it merely RECOGNIZES pre-existing rights.

OLD TEXAN

imported post

underthebridge wrote:
I found one of the more interesting reads on THR Library called The Five-Minute Handbook a while back. I re-read it every time I happen upon an media poll on firearms. No denigration of OCDO members intended. I think that we have more than our fair share of activists that have really made a change in their locale and/or WA (and certainly more experienced and equipped than I am). For what it's worth, I voted, knowing full well that it means nothing. But hey, if I can watch a 3-minute vid to find out if something will blend, I can blow some time on an Internet poll.

And now for something completely different (I fear that I am dating myself...) and OT. Has anyone else noticed that the TV writers strike has had little or no effect on their lives - or has improved whatever time spent in front of the tube? Seems like miscalculation on the timing (if there ever was good timing). More a rhetorical observation than anything.
It does mean something -- it yanks the media's chain. 97% is impressive. I thought there were more libs than that running around loose.

Ajetpilot

imported post

Colt 45 wrote:
It does mean something -- it yanks the media's chain. 97% is impressive. I thought there were more libs than that running around loose.
Ninety-seven percent is sohuge that USA Today probably won't publish it. The poll didn't turn out the way they hoped.