• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Roanoke Times is Anti-gun?

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

http://www.cegunshows.com/

Nation's Outdoor Show

ROANOKE TIMES & WORLD NEWS DENIED RIGHT TO ADVERTISE TO ROANOKE VALLEY GUN SHOW – OCTOBER 19, 2007

"The Roanoke Times has amended their advertising policy after the Virginia Tech massacre. It was initiated in the advertising department to be more in line with our editorial stance and I think you know what that is," said Mary Whelchel, Retail Advertising Manager for the Roanoke Times, in a conversation October 18, 2007 with me. "I have nothing good to tell you. We will no longer accept advertising from The Roanoke Valley Gun Show…The Roanoke Times has stopped accepting advertising from individuals who wish to sell guns without a license [in the classifieds.]" My understanding from my one conversation with Mary Whelchel is that she thought that the public should have licenses also. I sent them two solid studies on how guns save more lives than they cost. On October 19, 2007, Mary Whelchel’s e-mail reply read, "…I appreciate your feedback…The decision was studied thoroughly and ultimately made by a team here at the newspaper, and the decision stands."

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

It is a knee jerk reaction in response to a situation that had nothing to do with law abiding gun ownership. The CE site I linked to has the rest of the story, ad I think it is worth reading.

kurtmax_0

imported post

It's their paper and they can print what they want. I have absolutely no problem with this. If you don't like it, then don't buy the paper...

Although this did get me thinking.... I remember a guy recently posted a clip of the steps required to get a chp (in new hampshire iirc). One of the steps was a requirement to post intent to apply for a permit in a specific (private) publication. What if the paper decided to stop allowing such notices to be published?

PavePusher

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
It's their paper and they can print what they want. I have absolutely no problem with this. If you don't like it, then don't buy the paper...

Although this did get me thinking.... I remember a guy recently posted a clip of the steps required to get a chp (in new hampshire iirc). One of the steps was a requirement to post intent to apply for a permit in a specific (private) publication. What if the paper decided to stop allowing such notices to be published?
Publishing intent not required in NH. (Live Free or Die)

imperialism2024

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
kurtmax_0 wrote:

Publishing intent not required in NH. (Live Free or Die)
It was Wynder in Delaware.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum15/3926.html