• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Winter Carry Question

500mag

imported post

In winter (or any cold weather)when you OC and put a jacket on over your weapon and holster does that constitute CC thus requiring a LTCF?

For the record I don't OC because I'd rather not get harrassed on a regular basis by local LEO so I use the CC method, but its wonderful to have that option.

imperialism2024

imported post

Pennsylvania statute and case law doesn't give a clear definition of what "open" and "concealed" mean. Hawkins v Commonwealth provides that carrying a handgun in one's waistband in considered OC, but that's about it.

My unprofessional, uncited opinion is that if you put a jacket over your holster and weapon, that's definately concealed. Though as you presumably have a LTCF, that shouldn't be much of a problem.

To stay in the clear in the winter as far as OCing without a LTCF, I'd say one would need to carry in the style typical of law enforcement, with a jacket that only goes as low as the waist, and an OWB holster keeping the weapon outside of the jacket.

Welcome to OCDO, though. It's a shame that you feel you cannot OC where you live... I don't mean an offense, but have you considered that perhaps you may be overestimating the gun sensitivity of local LEOs? Granted, it's a valid concern, and there certainly have been bad OC encounters with LEOs in the state, but it seems as though LE is usually not oppressive in this state regarding OC. Have you sent the OC training memo to local police stations? It can be found at http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=2845&forum_id=46 Perhaps sending out a few of those might be the first steps in making OC more comfortable for you and others in your area.

Springfield45

imported post

Usually, when it's cold enough out to warrant a heavy jacket,
I'll OC using a thigh holster. Takes some getting used to .. but once
your comfortable with it it's second nature.

~~Springfield