• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

XD Holster

HMDGLOCK

imported post

I got a service XD-40 about two weeks ago and I was wondering if anyone uses the holster that comes with the gun. I have used it and i really like it, but my only problem withthe holsteris someone couldsneak up and grab my gun. Does anyone else use it and trust it.

smccomas

imported post

While we are on the topic any recommendations for a holster for a sub xd would be greatly appreciated. I like the holster that comes with, really want something with some level of retention.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

HMDGLOCK wrote:
I got a service XD-40 about two weeks ago and I was wondering if anyone uses the holster that comes with the gun. I have used it and i really like it, but my only problem withthe holsteris someone couldsneak up and grab my gun. Does anyone else use it and trust it.

No. For range purposes, I did use it once, and hated it. As far as retention goes, I woudn't trust anything using only friction in an open carry holster. That's just me. I know it's cliche, but the SERPA for that gun is EXCELLENT, and only costs about 40 bucks.

To smccomas, are you looking for a CC holster or an OC holster?

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

I ordered a holster the day i bought mine. I used the stock holster untill I got my ordered holsters.

I now use a serpa CQC and LOVE IT.

I also use a don hume agent and love it too

usaf

imported post

Im looking for a new carry pistol and want an XD45. Im currently using a Taurus Millennium PT 111 Pro. Any recommendations?? Just looking for something with a little more stopping power than a 9mm.

HMDGLOCK

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
HMDGLOCK wrote:

No. For range purposes, I did use it once, and hated it. As far as retention goes, I woudn't trust anything using only friction in an open carry holster. That's just me. I know it's cliche, but the SERPA for that gun is EXCELLENT, and only costs about 40 bucks.

To smccomas, are you looking for a CC holster or an OC holster?
Can you please place the link to the SERPA holster you use. Thank You

smccomas

imported post

Actually both, I like OWB holstersI have 3 IWB holsters I prefer for comfort reasons OWB holsters. I have and Uncle Mikes IWB holser for the XD Sub and it is just painfull.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Now that it is winter and being that I tend to wear a lot of sweaters or sports coats this time of year, and now that I have 5.11 firearm belts that keep it in place, I find myself using the XD holster a lot for CC. It is easier to conceal than my serpa. It is also, with the right belt, very comfortable.

For open carry I don't like it. You can tighten it enough that it takes a pretty heft jerk straight up to get it out, but at that point it is tighter than I want for for a draw. While it would do in a pinch, or if I were in VA and had to switch between CC and OC to eat dinner, I prefer to use my serpa for typical OC because of the retention.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

I bought my XD's before they came w/ the gear package and the crappy holster. I can't speak from experience on the XD Gear holster, but I've heard it bites the big one.

I have a Blackhawk CQC Level 2 SERPA auto-locking OWBholster for my XD's for Open Carry. I use it for OC daily and it's performed flawlessly and perfectly so far.

I have a Crossbreed SuperTuck w/ adjustable cant IWB holsterfor my XD's for Concealed Carry.

Both holsters are VERY comfortable. I typically forget I'm "wearing" a gun. And, I sit a lot (hours at a time) and they're both still comfortable. Add to that, each holster fits BOTH of my XD's (service and subbie) perfectly, so I don't have to have 4 different holsters.

I wrote a review of the Blackhawk holster and posted it on my website (complete w/ pictures and opinions): http://home.comcast.net/~dave_in_delaware/Review-BH-CQC-SERPA-holster.htmif anyone wants to read up on the SERPA. Even Blackhawk themselves liked my review (yes, they saw it).

Crossbreed has a website, and I've noticed that they're offering a 2-week try-it-free guarantee (on top of lifetime warranty). Contact Mark and he'll help you out: http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

Hope this helps.

Mtn Jack

imported post

Dave i read your reveiw and i concur 100%. what do you think about adding a little foam or maybe moleskin to the holster to keep it from rocking. It does wear the finish on my glock 19,i dont really care as this is one of the first glocks into the country. I have been with this gun for going on 25 years. Would not trade it for any thing. Mtn Jack

dave_in_delaware

imported post

Mtn Jack wrote:
Dave i read your reveiw and i concur 100%. what do you think about adding a little foam or maybe moleskin to the holster to keep it from rocking. It does wear the finish on my glock 19,i dont really care as this is one of the first glocks into the country. I have been with this gun for going on 25 years. Would not trade it for any thing. Mtn Jack
Wow. My first official gun accessory review online and someone concurs! :celebrate

I'm glad you read it. I tried to be thorough. I think things just needed to be "broken in" a little, because I OC more often, and I haven't noticed any rattle. But your idea is a good one: line at least one side of the interior of the holster with something to prevent rattle - AND it might help reduce the wear on the finish, too.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

dave_in_delaware wrote:
Mtn Jack wrote:
Wow. My first official gun accessory review online and someone concurs! :celebrate

I'm glad you read it. I tried to be thorough. I think things just needed to be "broken in" a little, because I OC more often, and I haven't noticed any rattle. But your idea is a good one: line at least one side of the interior of the holster with something to prevent rattle - AND it might help reduce the wear on the finish, too.
I also concur. It was well written, thorough and nicely illustrated with well taken photgraphs. I have noticed that I am starting to get a bit of wear on the left top edge of the slide about 1/4" in front of the ejection port on the slide. I have considered mole skin and I have seen posts of other people using it in their blackhawks to both tighten up that little bit of rocking and to prevent such wear.

Dave does some night photo work and some neat CAD work on targets. Maybe if you guys ask nicely he'll show you some of his printable targets. I've used a few with good result. (I post over on XDTalk with the same SN, Dave. Just haven't been there in a while.)

DrewGunner

imported post

FYI. The XD gun are all the same size (except for the barrel lenght). A 5'' .45acp and a 3'' 9mm will fit the same holster, provided itsopen bottom.

Sometimes when you look online for a holster they'll say they've got a .45 holster but not a 9mm. Same holster.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DrewGunner wrote:
FYI. The XD gun are all the same size (except for the barrel lenght). A 5'' .45acp and a 3'' 9mm will fit the same holster, provided itsopen bottom.

Sometimes when you look online for a holster they'll say they've got a .45 holster but not a 9mm. Same holster.
From my recollection, the 9mm, .357 sig, .40 and .45 GAP are all built on the same frame and are almost exactly, if not exactly, the same dimensions elsewhere. The .45 has a slightly longer standard size grip and a slightly wider frame and slide, needed to house the slightly thicker and wider magazine. If you have a tension adjustable holster such as an XD Gear holster or Blackhawk CQC that is set up for a .45 model, if you holster a 9mm model in it you will find that the tension screw needs to be tightened about a turn to securely hold the slightly thinner model.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Yes, do not believe that they are EXACTLY the same and get a holster and expect it to fit the .45 and 9mm, especially if it's a custom fit leather or kydex holster. IE: The CTAC for the XD 40/45 WILL NOT FIT the XD 9mm, me and a friend who has an XD 9 service model both use CTACs and I can say this with experience. The XDs are a lot like Glocks, though many of them are similar in size, they are not ALL mounted on the same frame.

DrewGunner

imported post

My 3'' Sub-Compact 9mm and5'' Tactical .45 acp are EXACTLY the same size. Exterior dimension are 100% the same, except for the obvious longer taller grip on the fullsize 45. The grips have the same contour. 9mm has thicker walls to make up for the smaller mag. Only exterior differance is the take down level on the 9mm is pushed back about a 1/4''.

3'' 9mm and 5'' .45 fit my serpa will the same clearance and wiggle.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

In retrospect, our little experiemtent did not take into account tension adjustments based on personal preferences, and were not measured with an device other than the holsters, so perhaps this was the cause of the percieved discrepancy?

DrewGunner

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
In retrospect, our little experiemtent did not take into account tension adjustments based on personal preferences, and were not measured with an device other than the holsters, so perhaps this was the cause of the percieved discrepancy?
Or you could just say you werewrong. :p