• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

XD Holster

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

*Puts on blue facepaint, a kilt, and grabs a broadsword*

"YOU MAY TAKE MY LIFE, BUT YOU WILL NEVER TAKE MY FREEDOM to make inaccurate comments and in the name of dignity and pride refuse to admit incorrectness"

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
DrewGunner wrote:
FYI. The XD gun are all the same size (except for the barrel lenght). A 5'' .45acp and a 3'' 9mm will fit the same holster, provided itsopen bottom.

Sometimes when you look online for a holster they'll say they've got a .45 holster but not a 9mm. Same holster.
From my recollection, the 9mm, .357 sig, .40 and .45 GAP are all built on the same frame and are almost exactly, if not exactly, the same dimensions elsewhere. The .45 has a slightly longer standard size grip and a slightly wider frame and slide, needed to house the slightly thicker and wider magazine. If you have a tension adjustable holster such as an XD Gear holster or Blackhawk CQC that is set up for a .45 model, if you holster a 9mm model in it you will find that the tension screw needs to be tightened about a turn to securely hold the slightly thinner model.
I stand absolutely corrected. My apologies, DrewGunner, for challenging your assertion.

I didn't believe it as my memory was as above stated. I got together with a few friends in the last few days to compare external measurements of some different XDs at 10 points on the frame and slide with a simple caliper (I didn't have a micrometer available). There are some minor measurement differences (excepting obvious barrel/slide length and grip length between standard grip/compact/subcompact) that are simply design features. For example, the frame thickness between the locking block pins is slightly wider on the subcompact. The location and size of the ejection port relative to the other dimensions is obviously slightly different on the .45. The end of the pin on the take down levers are different sizes as well.

The outside slide width, trigger guard size, trigger, grip width front/back and side/side are either exactly the same or so close as to be negligable excepting some minor differences due to adjustments obviously made for grip length. The differences seen could even be within manufacturing variences.

Trust but verify.

AbNo

imported post

I just wish Blackhawk would make a friggin' lefty holster for the XD. I have one for my 1911, and I LOVE it....

Stuck with a goofy nylon universal holster for the XD right now. :?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

AbNo wrote:
I just wish Blackhawk would make a friggin' lefty holster for the XD. I have one for my 1911, and I LOVE it....

Stuck with a goofy nylon universal holster for the XD right now. :?

AbNo, does the belt attachment allow for belts up to 2 1/4" wide? I cannot find belt width specifications on their website (Blackhawk).

I'd like to get one for my S&W 1911.

I wish they would make one for the XD Tac. I am aware their current model for XD's will work for my Tactical, but, I don't want the muzzle protruding beyond the holster.

I emailed (Blackhawk) about this back in 2006, they said they were going to make one for the Tactical. Yeah, right!!!:(

dave_in_delaware

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote
AbNo, does the belt attachment allow for belts up to 2 1/4" wide? I cannot find belt width specifications on their website (Blackhawk).

I wish they would make one for the XD Tac. I am aware their current model for XD's will work for my Tactical, but, I don't want the muzzle protruding beyond the holster.
Looking at my SERPA holster, if you keep the little "hooks" on the lowest hole position, it measures only enough room for a 2" wide belt. Without the "hooks" (they are removable) you could probably go larger than that but you'd lose the "lock" on your belt. (Yes, I know there's a lip on the lower inside of the holster that grabs your waistline of your pants... but I like the "locks" on the back of the holster that grab the bottom edge of the belt, too).

My service model rests about 3/16" IN from the edge (bottom) of the holster. So the tactical would stick out about an inch or a little less.

May I ask why you don't want it sticking out at all?

dave_in_delaware

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
Realistically though, with a carry gun, it's gonna get scratched.
That's exactly right. There's a big difference between a daily carry gun and a safe queen. It's called "seeing the light of day." LOL....

I've been carrying my XD practically daily so far this year, and the bevel of the slide (top/sides) and the take-down lever are both showing signs of wear. Plus, I'm surprised the rear-end of the slide and grip doesn't have more dents/scratches on it than it does (none), because I keep bumping it into things. Not on purpose - just w/ the daily motions and happenings.

Eventually though, I'll wear it out enough that I'll send it back to Springfield Armory for a full-warranty refinish.

:celebrate

I can understand not wanting the muzzle to stick out for fear of it getting messed up somehow (scratches, dirt, wet, etrc) ... perhaps Blackhawk is just getting finished w/ a longer holster housing for their 5" tactical firearm SERPA line....

yeah, probably not. :shock:

Schofield

imported post

I actually wear the standard plastic holster that came with my Springfield M1911 all the time. Why? It was free with the pistol and it's so light and small that you don't notice it at all when the pistol's not holstered. You can solve the problem of it rocking by using a proper width belt and in my case, tucking the muzzle into your back pocket when you CC. With the holster at a 3:30ish position, this gives the gun a rake that helps conceal it as well. For open carry though? Screw that. Maybe inside of a jacket with the front unzipped but otherwise... No. - Schofield

SpringerXDacp

imported post

dave_in_delaware wrote:
vmathis12019 wrote:
Realistically though, with a carry gun, it's gonna get scratched.
That's exactly right. There's a big difference between a daily carry gun and a safe queen. It's called "seeing the light of day." LOL....

I've been carrying my XD practically daily so far this year, and the bevel of the slide (top/sides) and the take-down lever are both showing signs of wear. Plus, I'm surprised the rear-end of the slide and grip doesn't have more dents/scratches on it than it does (none), because I keep bumping it into things. Not on purpose - just w/ the daily motions and happenings.

Eventually though, I'll wear it out enough that I'll send it back to Springfield Armory for a full-warranty refinish.

:celebrate

I can understand not wanting the muzzle to stick out for fear of it getting messed up somehow (scratches, dirt, wet, etrc) ... perhaps Blackhawk is just getting finished w/ a longer holster housing for their 5" tactical firearm SERPA line....

yeah, probably not. :shock:

My XD is not a "Safe Queen" by any means. When I leave home, my XD goes with me. I've been carrying it for over two years using a Blackhills Leather holster with thumbbreak and it still looks like...well a "Safe Queen", I suppose:).

I apply a light coat of oil on the external surface area of the slide and wipe it off the next morning. I usually do thisonce a week, sometimes more, depending on the weather, etc. This, obviously, seems to work quite well.

That is correct. The muzzle will stick out about 3/4".

Blackhawk did in fact tell me in 2006 that they will be producing a SERPA for the 5" Tactical. Nearly two years later the "yeah, probably not" part is hitting the nail on the head IMHO.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
My XD is not a "Safe Queen" by any means. When I leave home, my XD goes with me. I've been carrying it for over two years using a Blackhills Leather holster with thumbbreak and it still looks like...well a "Safe Queen", I suppose:).

I apply a light coat of oil on the external surface area of the slide and wipe it off the next morning. I usually do thisonce a week, sometimes more, depending on the weather, etc. This, obviously, seems to work quite well.

That is correct. The muzzle will stick out about 3/4".

Blackhawk did in fact tell me in 2006 that they will be producing a SERPA for the 5" Tactical. Nearly two years later the "yeah, probably not" part is hitting the nail on the head IMHO.

Ah ha!!! So, it's posing as a safe queen! LOL....

Lighly oiling it once per week may even be excessive, since you probably have the "new and improved" finish on your XD. Mine came from the "prehistoric" days so the finish isn't as durable I guess. But I've had ZERO rust problems so far. But like I said, if something bad happens, I can send it back for warranty refinishing.

I guess Blackhawk wanted to please every customer.... but soon realized they truly can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time. Maybe they'll make an extended housing holster for 2009?