• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Your thoughts on my letter to a new CPZ

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Any suggestions, folks?

To Whom It May Concern:

I am a resident of ......., and I patronize your store in ....... quite frequently since I always get friendly service and it is also close and convenient. But this past week I notice the store had has posted signs prohibiting licensed concealed carry of firearms. I have included some information provided by Ohioans for Concealed Carry, that you might find helpful.

Ohio’s Concealed Handgun Law

[align=center]What Every Business Owner Needs to Know[/align]We have found that many businesses post signs after being misled or coerced. Many tell us they thought it was required. As a property owner in your community we know you have put a lot of thought into how to best care for the safety of your patrons and employees. We can imagine that the Ohio Concealed Carry laws have left you with questions. The following facts may help you better understand those laws and the large community of law-abiding licensees who would like to patronize your business:

Concealed Handgun Licensees Are Proven Good Guys. One must undergo a rigorous background check,
be fingerprinted, and receive training on the safe use and legal ramifications of carrying a handgun for self
defense by a state-approved instructor. Neither felons nor anyone with drug convictions may hold a CHL
license.

“No Firearms” Signs Are Dangerous. Studies show that banning legal firearms actually increases the risk
of violent crime. Many criminals already intent on committing robbery and assault will target places with “No Firearms” signs because they know no one will be able to stop them. Such a sign only prohibits law-abiding citizens, including off duty police officers, from being equipped to defend themselves.

“No Firearms” Signs Discourage Patrons. As “No Firearms” signs actually create a more dangerous
environment, many alert consumers encourage their friends and families to avoid businesses that prohibit the lawful carry of defensive firearms on their premises for their safety. Businesses that post “No Firearms” signs are entered into our Do Not Patronize While Armed Database to inform all Ohioans.

Posting Signs Is Your Choice. Under current law you have no obligation to post signs banning legal
firearms, contrary to the spurious recommendations promulgated by some government officials and various
business associations. The choice is entirely yours.

There Is No Liability Risk. There is a common misconception that business owners risk litigation by
allowing legal firearms on their property. Some insurance companies have even spread inaccurate
information. Section 2923.126(C)(2)(a) of The Ohio Revised Code grants all businesses immunity from any action taken by legal firearm carriers. While the liability for the actions of a legal licensee generally rests with the licensee, you may be liable for injuries that result from prohibiting self-defense.

Legal Firearms Save Lives. In the 48 states that allow law-abiding citizens to carry concealed firearms for self-defense, there have been numerous cases where a legally carried firearm prevented or stopped a violent attack. Competent studies have shown that over 98% of these incidents end without any shots being fired. There is a lot of information available regarding this subject. We strongly urge you to do your own research before deciding whether or not to prohibit self-defense in your place of business. Our website (http://www.ohioccw.org/) is a convenient place to find the most current articles and reviews, as well as links to the supporting Ohio statutes. Our discussion forums (http://ohioccwforums.org) offer a more interactive and in-depth way to research some of the same issues.

I hope that after reading through this information, you will consider removing the signs. Please allow me to remind you of the very recent shooting at a New Life Christian Church in Colorado, where a crazed gunman started shooting people, and would have killed many more if it had not be for Jeanne Assama, CCW permit holder who was able to take out the attacker, and save scores of lives. Guns, when carried by responsible people, are not a threat, and make your store safer.

I very strongly believe in my right as an American to defend myself. Legally carrying a firearm is the best way to do so, and I refuse to allow myself to be disarmed. Hopefully your signs will be removed, but if not, I will be forced to take my business elsewhere. Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowes all base their policies concerning the carry of firearms on what state law is, which means I may carry without any problems. Those are just a few examples of businesses that allow firearms.

I look forward to hearing from you, and if you have any questions about this issue; I am at your service and can be reached through the contact information provided below.

Sincerely,

dngreer

dng

State Researcher
imported post

CPZ: Criminal Protection Zone-places that post "no firearms" signs. Sorry about the confusion.

imperialism2024

imported post

Decent letter, but I have three issues with it:

1) Facts are no good without citations. Even I read the "facts" thinking "Is this really true?" I'm sure someone could look up the data, but really I feel that there should be some citation for the assertions.
2) The CHL arguments entirely disregard OC and, dare I say, pander to the government-control crowd. I understand that we need to move in smaller steps, but we should make sure not to use arguments for CC that may hurt the case for unlicensed OC. Alright, so people acknowledge that people carrying guns is OK because they have CHL's and are state "qualified" to carry. Clearly, then, people shouldn't be allowed to carry without a license because it's not as safe.
3) Oh, and find a name for the owner/manager. It sounds more personal and will probably be more effective than "To Whom It May Concern".

Personally, I'd advise having a discussion with the owner face-to-face. It would probably sound less preachy and will better portray you as a regular human being.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Personally, I'd advise having a discussion with the owner face-to-face. It would probably sound less preachy and will better portray you as a regular human being.

+1

Face time is always preferable.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
SNIP Personally, I'd advise having a discussion with the owner face-to-face. It would probably sound less preachy and will better portray you as a regular human being.

+1

Providing references and citations for him to look over after you leave would help you look good, too.

I've never cared for the impersonal "To whom it may concern." If the recipient is someone impractical to meet, I might try to get his name and title.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I appreciate all the suggestions. I was planning on directing the letter to their corporate offices, but it perhaps it would be best to start with talking to the manager of the local store, and if that doesn't go anywhere, then send aletter to corporate.

expvideo

imported post

dngreer wrote:
CPZ: Criminal Protection Zone-places that post "no firearms" signs. Sorry about the confusion.

using acronyms without explaining them is rude.

Let me re-phrase... Making up acronyms and not explaining them is rude.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

What's the difference with big words, or Anglo-Saxon rather than Romance or any jargon?

While we must write to our audiences, the audience here is diverse - from kids that just got their first computer to Anony Mouses that are too old to learn new tricks - like grammar, capitalization, spelling, punctuation and all them other liberal arts that we polymaths take for granted.

((The guy that wrote "for all intensive purposes" also wrote "take for granite."))

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
What's the difference with big words, or Anglo-Saxon rather than Romance or any jargon?

While we must write to our audiences, the audience here is diverse - from kids that just got their first computer to Anony Mouses that are too old to learn new tricks - like grammar, capitalization, spelling, punctuation and all them other liberal arts that we polymaths take for granted.

((The guy that wrote "for all intensive purposes" also wrote "take for granite."))
Who checks words with lines under them? If it don't have a squigly line under it, it must be the right word. So much for spell check.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

expvideo wrote:
dngreer wrote:

using acronyms without explaining them is rude.

Let me re-phrase... Making up acronyms and not explaining them is rude.
Maybe I'm missing something, or you didn't mean it this way, but what did I do to you to put that chip on your shoulder? I wasn't trying to be rude, I was using an acronym that is used quite frequently on OFCC's forum. So, I didn't "make up" anything either. I'm not sure whatyour deal is, but I was nottrying to upset you or anyone else. Mike asked what CPZ was, I answered, case closed.

expvideo

imported post

I'm not trying to personally attack you. I was saying that when you use an acronym that isn't in common usage on this forum, you need to explain what it means instead of expecting us to figure it out.