• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Follow up with Lt. Wilson...

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Read from bottom up. Pretty surprised that no reports were filed after the stop...

I understand that it may take longer this time... If you need to clarify anything I have written, please let me know. I was under the impression that if a weapon was drawn (by an officer) a report was required? I would also like to suggest that Officer O'Neill by attempting to restrict me to concealed carry only may have been engaging in deprivation of rights under color of law. I indicated that I felt pretty threatened by his actions and mannerism. Right now I have no interest in pursuing further actions regarding this allegation (plus I believe I would have to contact the FBI to have it investigated) mainly as I feel the OPD can take steps to ensure such actions are not repeated... I know, you can't comment right now :)
As always, thank you for your time.

Steve

Bill Wilson <bwilson@ci.olympia.wa.us> wrote:
Message Hi, Steve: I am enjoying my new job assignment, no promotion. There were no reports written as a result of your stop. I still have the case to complete. I don't believe I need to tape record an interview with you since so much has been written by you about the stop. (Correct me if I'm wrong). I'll be completing the investigation but it will take longer than normal probably into February. This is still within the time period we have for these cases. Bill
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2008 5:28 PM
To: Bill Wilson
Subject: Hello

Given the new year, I would presume congratulations are now in order for your new promotion and job title. Are you still handling internal complaints or is there another officer doing those?

Were there any reports filed after my stop several weeks ago? If so, I would like to get a copy, as well as view any dispatch logs.

Thank you,
Steve

Never miss a thing. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs]Make Yahoo your homepage.[/url]​

Ajetpilot

imported post

Morris wrote:
Does OPD have a policy that if a firearm is used in contact that a report has to be done?

How does a citizen find out what written policies are in force within a particular law enforcement agency?

Morris, I greatly appreciate your very factual and insightful posts. Thanks for being here.

Johnny Law

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
Morris wrote:
Does OPD have a policy that if a firearm is used in contact that a report has to be done?

How does a citizen find out what written policies are in force within a particular law enforcement agency?

Morris, I greatly appreciate your very factual and insightful posts. Thanks for being here.
Sv's take on that was that OPD's policy was to write a report if a weapon was drawn. The info would be in the individual Dept's policy manual, and I would imagine that the manual would be available for public review. I would request either a copy, or a chance to got to OPD and be allowed to review a manual.

Many Dept's don't require a formal report when a weapon is drawn however.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Lt. Wilson just informed me that a report is only required if a weapon is POINTED at someone...

I understand your points. My investigation will be looking specifically at the interaction Officer O'Neill had with you. As for the report, we only require Supervisor Checklists on situations wherein we draw our weapon and point it at you. The facts of your case, while still be evaluated, indicate that Officer Beckwell never pointed his gun at you. I will cover this in detail in my report. I'll be furnishing you with a letter of what the investigation determined once it is complete. I'll review more closely what you have said and have written to make sure I have your concerns properly laid out.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
SNIP How does a citizen find out what written policies are in force within a particular law enforcement agency?

Perhaps Washington has a Freedom of Information Act or Sunshine Law. Basically some law compelling gov't agencies to provide records upon citizen requrest.