• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart visit.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Just my storyfrom my day in town today.

Today at Walmart I was open carrying, when the manager (I presume) came up to me and asked if I had a permit. Shementionedsomethingto the effect that thepeople atthe front of the store were supposed to"stop people who did not have a permit" from entering.

I explained that a permit was not needed in Nevada to open carry. She said she had no idea you could do that, and she said it caused people discomfort and that I should conceal it. I told her that would be illegal for me since I do not have a permit to conceal.

She mentoned that she thought it was unusual to carry openly, saying that her brother, a sherriff,always concealed when off duty.

She then said that she would ask her brother, whether what I was doing was legal, and told me to have a nice day and I returned to shopping.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
...and she said it caused people discomfort and that I should conceal it.

Every time I hear this I call BS on the part of the manager / employee.

If some sheep is at WM and is "alarmed" by your OC are they going to go to the manger? or the COPS?

I think they are self important blowhards that feel compelled to tell you how to carry...JMO :cool:

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Don't blame it on Wal-Mart, it is the NEA's fault. As long as we settle for free government education (which is bankrupting us) that is what we get...sheeple!

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

The owner isn't the manager. Walmart's corporate policy is to mirror the state's laws in terms of lawful methods of carrying.

njeske

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
It was the Reno walmart off of McCarran Blvd near Home Depot.

Would that be the one on North McCarran, next to WinCo? I know there's a couple other Walmarts and Home Depots on McCarran.

Next time you're going out, let me know. My wife and I may join you. :)

Erus

imported post

Lve2fsh wrote:
I just stumbled onto this part of the site so pardon my newness.

As far as open carry in Walmart, isn't that private property?

Don't the owners have a say if you can open carry or not?

Just curious on my part, thanks.

Welcome to the Forum, Lve2fsh!

You are correct, in that private property is off limits if the owner (or their representative) asks you to leave, but here in So. NV, most wallyworlds allow/accept OC as within the law and don't get too twitchy about it. YMMV, you can always find another moron who thinks your legally carried firearm is more of a danger than the bad guys' hidden piece/agenda. We usually go to the WW on Sunset in Henderson and my wife cc'd there while buying ammo. The guys at the counter saw it, made silly comment about her "packing" (more about a girl with a gun vs. a gun in general, I feel) and that was the end of it. Of course, CC works too, can't see it? Can't ask you to not have it.

Glad to have you here, and enjoy OC in your own town, once the "leaders" there figure out they can't ignore the new law.

Erus

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Carondalet wrote:
Don't know about Nevada, but aren't LEO's told not to open carry when off duty?
Buddy in the MD State Police says their department strongly discourages OC when off duty, during a recent discussion when I told him I OC everywhere.

Count

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Police departments are anti-gun (the management). Most have policies against open carry. When I am off duty I refuse to exist as a cop. No badge ever with me after my eight hours and I only carry where citizens can; and have a permit from my state. I don't believe in the US vs. THEM mentality which is taught in many of these police academies. Last time I checked the U.S. Constitution wasn't made for cops only. The Police Chiefs and their pathetic associations are very confused Democrats and deserve no respect from either the officers working for them or the citizens they are supposed to represent and protect. I mean it!!!!

G

imported post

Hello Erusand all.

Yea we do have a little nazi community up here in BC as far as firearms go.

I applaud all you guys and gals for OC I have never had the nerve to do so except when I had a security guard uniform on. I never like to give the police a reason to stop me, try to just blend in with the crowd kinda thing. I do carry concealed with a permit so I am not unarmed. My employer wont allow my weapon on property so I have to park elsewhere but it is worth the trouble. I'm still trying to find out all the info on our new laws that were passed in Sept and Jan.

Thanks

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Lve2fsh

According to Boulder City code, you may not carry your concealed weapon (if it's loaded) within the city limits, nor may it be loaded in your home if your home is within city limits. Of course that law is illegal and violates state law, but as the city has so boldly pointed out, they intend to ignore the law until a court forces them to deal with it or they "get around to it" as they're agenda is packed full of far more important things.

The police have no reason to stop you when you are OC, but admittedly, your first time as an armed citizen might feel intimidating. The feeling quickly passes, though the annoying questions do not. "Are you a cop?" "Why do you carry it?" "Do you have a license?" "Is it legal?"

Tim

G

imported post

Tim

Yea I know I can't carry in BC but better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

That's why I obey the traffic laws and don't give the police a reason to stop me.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

njeske wrote:
Felid`Maximus wrote:
It was the Reno walmart off of McCarran Blvd near Home Depot.

Would that be the one on North McCarran, next to WinCo? I know there's a couple other Walmarts and Home Depots on McCarran.

Next time you're going out, let me know. My wife and I may join you. :)

Yep, that is the one. Maybe some time soon we can go somewhere.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wynder wrote:
The owner isn't the manager. Walmart's corporate policy is to mirror the state's laws in terms of lawful methods of carrying.
Every statement I have ever seen from Wal-Mart corporate about firearms is that CC is ok if legal for you and that they reserve the right to ask you to leave if you OC. There are 2 recent Wal-Mart threads in the general discussion forums that have posts of letters from them. A quick search should find the threads.

And Felid Maximus, problems OC at Walmart and then Costco within days of each other? That sucks. Sounds like a local issue given the comments from other Nevadans.