• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

All interested in Alabama Gun Owner's Association

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

If you want a better idea about the premise that we're working on, read through the "Perfect CCW Law Wish List" thread here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum59/7061.html

What we are looking for is a possible online/virtual "get together" since we all seem to be so scattered around the state. here is the post in the other thread that needs replying to:

Comp-Tech:
Maybe we could set a night/time to all "meet up" on the OCDO IRC channel and discuss this "in real time"?
I think that a website would be a cheap way to start "spreading the word" in an effort to gain members...as well as a central location for all the related data.....as stated before, I'm willing to build, host and maintain a site but we still need to discuss some of the "particulars". Is there a particular night that everyone could be available
Basically, we are tired of our 2a rights being trampled on by ignorant or authoritative cops. We want to start an organization, but we need to get a few people interested first. We obviously cannot rely only on OCDO for our member base, but as this seems to be the least common denominator between us right now, it's a good place to start.

kurtmax_0

imported post

I'd be interested. Last time I tried this nobody seemed very interested though. There are, however, more people that have joined the forums since.....

IRC might be a bit complicated for the less-computer-inclined among us, but it's probably the best way. IM programs tend to be flaky when it comes to 'IRC' style chat rooms.

loudone

imported post

I am up for it. You'll all have to be patient of my typing though.

I would rather it be the Alabama Association for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. Alabama Gun Owners Association just sounds like a bunch of collectors.

The primary things I would like to see a group do are:

A. Elimination of 13a-11-52

B. Have a shall issue law on the books that removes the qualified or unqualified license language. The intent would be to strengthen State firearm law preemption.

C. Organize voluntary training classes for the public in order to increase awareness of Alabamians Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

Secondary things:

Promotion of firearms use and ownership. (safety, sport shooting, hunting, etc...)

Promotion of the understanding of Alabama firearms laws by Civilians and LE alike.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

loudone wrote:

I would rather it be the Alabama Association for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. Alabama Gun Owners Association just sounds like a bunch of collectors.
A bit "long winded" for me.....

While that would be nice, it would require that the legislature repeal it....I just can't see that happening anytime soon.
All that is really needed in regards to sec. 52 is for LE to understand that it doesn't apply to OC nor to PL holders....period...problem solved.

B. Have a shall issue law on the books that removes the qualified or unqualified license language. The intent would be to strengthen State firearm law preemption.
Please cite what you're talking about.....are you refering to an "unrestricted or qualified" license?
Every PL I've seen has been"unrestricted"....with sheriff imposed restrictions on the back of course....again, IMHO, another LE misunderstanding of the law.
Shall issue would be nice but.....I don't believe a PL can be denied without a VALID reason under current law.....at least according to an AG opinion.
I can't see how preemption could be any stronger.....sec. 11-45-1.1 states "The entire subject matter of handguns is reserved to the State Legislature"

C. Organize voluntary training classes for the public in order to increase awareness of Alabamians Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
While not a top prority in my view, maybe we could get some benifit from training facilities....like discounts for members or maybe a percentage for referrals to be put into a legel defense fund etc.

Secondary things:

Promotion of firearms use and ownership. (safety, sport shooting, hunting, etc...)

Promotion of the understanding of Alabama firearms laws by Civilians and LE alike.
IMHO, this should be first prority......

loudone

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
loudone wrote:

A bit "long winded" for me.....
Yes, but it does get straight to the point and does not tip toe around the primary reason for it's existence. I have nothing against hunting and sport shooting. I just want people to know the group main reason for existence is to protect and expand the RKBA.

While that would be nice, it would require that the legislature repeal it....I just can't see that happening anytime soon.
All that is really needed in regards to sec. 52 is for LE to understand that it doesn't apply to OC nor to PL holders....period...problem solved.
It sure wouldclarify thelaw though. It's pretty much a worthless statute anyway. If doesn't apply to OC, and CC is illegal w/o a PL alreadythen what good does it do?

Please cite what you're talking about.....are you refering to an "unrestricted or qualified" license?
Yes, sorry about the typo.
Every PL I've seen has been"unrestricted"....with sheriff imposed restrictions on the back of course....again, IMHO, another LE misunderstanding of the law.
I believe removing thatlanguage would put an end to the "restrictions" on the back of PL's. It would also serve to make all PL's uniform throughout the State. So it doesn't actually strengthen preemption, but wouldn't it servethe intent of the law? In other words when I take my PL to your county a LEO doesn't try to enforce your county's "restrictions" and vice versa.

Shall issue would be nice but.....I don't believe a PL can be denied without a VALID reason under current law.....at least according to an AG opinion.
I can't see how preemption could be any stronger.....sec. 11-45-1.1 states "The entire subject matter of handguns is reserved to the State Legislature"
Well I believe shall issue is necessary especially if you want to make OC widespread. Didn't Vmathis site getting his PL back as a reason he decided not to pursue legal action? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Secondary things:

IMHO, this should be first prority......
Maybe this shouldn't be in the secondary portion of my list. I still believe we need to go for the other items first.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Did you use an IRC client or did you try the web link? Slashnet's web client is down atm, so you need to get a client.

I'd recommend X-Chat 2 for a client....

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

I am also a bit confused as to the process one needs to follow to be able to use this. Perhaps you could post a step by stepy process for installing/signing on to the IRC chat thing. Is there something that must be downloaded? Please post as if you were explaining it to someone with NO experience with this sort of thing whatsoever... someone like me....lol

flounder22

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Did you use an IRC client or did you try the web link? Slashnet's web client is down atm, so you need to get a client.

I'd recommend X-Chat 2 for a client....
I`m so computer dumb I dont even know what a client is. I too will have to be walked very slowly through the process. Sorry.

flounder22

imported post

Well I guess you guys are chatting away by now. I was able to log on to htpp://ircatwork.com like vm did but I still can`t figger out dick from there.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

okay once you get to that website... type in your nickname in the first box.

then type in irc.slashnet.org in the server box

leave the 3rd box alone

once you get logged into slashnet, type "/Join #OpenCarry" (without the quotes) and that'll get ya there.

flounder22

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:

leave the 3rd box alone

once you get logged into slashnet, type "/Join #OpenCarry" (without the quotes) and that'll get ya there.
Ok did all that but do not see a place to type in /join#OpenCarry. there is a place at the very bottom to type it in but then what. Thanks for tring to help

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

flounder22 wrote:
vmathis12019 wrote:

leave the 3rd box alone

Ok did all that but do not see a place to type in /join#OpenCarry. there is a place at the very bottom to type it in but then what. Thanks for tring to help
Type /join#OpenCarry at the bottom...hit enter...that should get you into the "room"

flounder22

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
flounder22 wrote:
vmathis12019 wrote:

leave the 3rd box alone

Type /join#OpenCarry at the bottom...hit enter...that should get you into the "room"
The problem I`m having is thatI can see no (enter) to hit.