• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A whole new world!

WhiteFeather

imported post

Ladies and Gentlemen,

After a very profitable trip to Cabelas and a next day trip to my local watering hole, I have joined the revolver crowd.

DSCN05242.jpg

My slightly used Taurus Ultra-Lite 38 Special. 2 in barrel, fixed combat sights, rubber and beautifultiger striped wooden gripswith a five shot capacity.

DSCN05162.jpg

All and all I walked away from Cabelas with a Surefire G2,and a CRKT M16-14ZSF Tanto. Between gift cards and the little lady's generosity I think I got myself quite the catch.

But now I gotta ask, any specific cleaning methods or things I should look for/ clean thoroughly? All of the contact points for the cylinder are sharp and prominent, there is very little play in the cylinder once its locked in. The trigger is much heavier than the 2 1/2 lbs 1911 I'm used to even with the hammer cocked. I cleaned real good when I got her home and lubed what I felt was prudent, but are there any points I should pay attention to when lubing?

Secondly any ammo suggestions? I'm thinking about CorBon DXP or maybe just a semi wad cutter but have you found something that works better for this type of setup?

I'm very excited and cannot wait to get to the range to see how she handles. Any help is greatly appriciated!:celebrate

imperialism2024

imported post

For the first two years I had my Ruger Redhawk I, er, neglected to break it down. At all. About 1000 very dirty .44 magnum rounds later, it was still working perfectly and was probably smoother than it was new by just using lots and lots of WD-40. After cleaning the barrel and chambers with nitro solvent and doing one coat of WD-40, I would hold out the extractor, and spray into extractor recess from both ends. Then I'd try to spray into the gap around the swing-out cylinder pivot. Spray a good amount around the firing pin recess, then cock the hammer and spray lots of WD-40 in and around it. Then re-coat the barrel and chambers again, and let it set on paper towels for a few hours as the excess WD-40 drips out.

Or you could just break it down and save yourself a lot of WD-40. :D

ETA: Oh yes, and welcome to the world of revolvers. Now you gotta start saving up for a big-bore revolver for the true wheel-gunning experience. :celebrate

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

WhiteFeather wrote:
Secondly any ammo suggestions? I'm thinking about CorBon DXP or maybe just a semi wad cutter but have you found something that works better for this type of setup?

DPX is a good choice for this gun. The other defense load I would take a look at is the Speer Gold Dot 135gr.+P as it is a load specifically designed for 2" revolvers, at the request of the NYPD, who have a number of detectives/brass that are still carrying "grandfathered" .38spl revolvers, as well as those who carry a snub off-duty and/or as a back-up.

The trick with these small guns is to find a comfortable load to shoot and get LOTS and LOTS of range time. Congrats on the new find!