• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

opencarry minimum age map...

b1ack5mith

imported post

when you type in opencarry.org, look at the top of the map, and select "Age to OC map" under utah, it says 21... did they change it? or is this a mistake?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
when you type in opencarry.org, look at the top of the map, and select "Age to OC map" under utah, it says 21... did they change it? or is this a mistake?
Can you get a Utah gun carry permit at an age lower than 21 so that you can open carry a loaded handgun? I don't think so, so the map appears to be correct.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Mike wrote:
Can you get a Utah gun carry permit at an age lower than 21 so that you can open carry a loaded handgun? I don't think so, so the map appears to be correct.

Mike's responses always sound so defensive! :p

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:

There are several ways to look at this. In the first place, I can find NO specific language in statute on minimum age to carry a gun in Utah.

However, the only way to legally, OC a fully loaded gun in Utah is with a weapons permits. Minimum age for that is 21.

"Israeli" Open Carry is legal--other than in school zones, including 1000' from school property--for anyone who can legally possess a firearm. In Utah, those 18 and older can legally possess a handgun. Those 14 to 18 years of age can legally possess a handgun WITH the prior permission of their parents or guardians. Those under 14 can legally possess a firearm ONLY when accompanies by a parent or guardian (or perhaps other adult designee). Since it is logically impossible to legally OC if one cannot be legally in possession of the gun in the first place, these other ages might also be a factor.

I'd say the age at which OC is "legal" in Utah depends greatly on what you mean by "OC." If OCDO has set a consistent standard of reporting on the minimum age for fully loaded OC, then 21 is the correct age for Utah and Utah is correctly reported as a "Licensed OC State" rather than a Gold Medal OC State.

My personal opinion is that this is probably the most logical and consistent way to report on a snap shot or comparative type page. I trust we will see some of these additional details made available as the OCDO format changes and enlarges a bit.

Charles

xmirage2kx

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
There are several ways to look at this. In the first place, I can find NO specific language in statute on minimum age to carry a gun in Utah.

Those 14 to 18 years of age can legally possess a handgun WITH the prior permission of their parents or guardians.

Under 18 = NO Handgun

76-10-509.4. Prohibition of possession of certain weapons by minors.

(1) A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a handgun.

swillden

imported post

xmirage2kx wrote:
76-10-509.4. Prohibition of possession of certain weapons by minors.

(1) A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a handgun.
That makes me wonder what "possess" means, exactly.

swillden

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
76-1-601. Definitions.

(10) "Possess" means to have physical possession of or to exercise dominion or control over tangible property.

Hmm. When I hand my gun to my 10 year-old to shoot, he has physical possession, but I guess the fact that I'm there supervising means he doesn't have "dominion or control"?

xmirage2kx

imported post

swillden wrote:
SGT Jensen wrote:
76-1-601. Definitions.

(10) "Possess" means to have physical possession of or to exercise dominion or control over tangible property.

Hmm. When I hand my gun to my 10 year-old to shoot, he has physical possession, but I guess the fact that I'm there supervising means he doesn't have "dominion or control"?

It is unlawful for a person under 18 to possess a firearm unless he has permission from a parent or guardian, or is accompanied by the parent or guardian. An adult must accompany a minor under 14. It is unlawful for a minor under 18 to possess a handgun. These prohibitions do not apply if the minor: a) is a patron of a lawfully operated target concession at an amusement center and the firearms used are chained or affixed to the counters; b) is in attendance at a hunter’s safety course; c) is engaged in practice at a range or other area where discharge of a firearm is not prohibited by law; d) is engaged in organized competition. e) is on real property with the permission of the owner or lessee of the property and has permission of a parent or guardian or the owner to possess a firearm. f) is hunting lawfully. g) is traveling to or from b-f above.

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/#?st=UT

SOURCES: Utah Code §§23-20-20, 53-5-701 through 710, 76-10-501 through 530, and 78-27-64.

b1ack5mith

imported post

Mike wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:
my next question would be to ask what states i can legally get aCWP in, at age 18 :) (im 19 now, but what states offer CWP's for 18+)

swillden

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
my next question would be to ask what states i can legally get aCWP in, at age 18 :) (im 19 now, but what states offer CWP's for 18+)
According to Florida, per this page:

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

Indiana, South Dakota and North Dakota issue at 18. Florida mentions it to point out that even though they honor those states' permits, you still have to be 21 to carry concealed in FL.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:

Prepare for info...

The following states will issue a permit to an 18 year old non-resident...

Indiana
Iowa
Maine
Maryland
Hew Hampshire
North Dakota
Texas

The only one of these states that will allow you to apply by mail is New Hampshire, but you must already have a permit from another state first. So if you want a permit, you will need to visit one of these fine states.

Info courtesy handgunlaws.us