View Poll Results: What is the level of retention on your holster?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Level 0: If it weren't for gravity, my gun would probably float away

13 16.88%
  • Level I

28 36.36%
  • Level II

33 42.86%
  • Level III

3 3.90%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Your Retention Level

Post imported post

• Please answer for yourmost commonly used holster.
    • I know this varies depending on where you are OCing. Use the most common.

Post imported post

I carry that really dangerous, don't get caught in a sandstorm, Blackhawk Serpa. (The pre-recall one, too)

Post imported post

I got a rock jamed in mine it could not fall out.Serpa level 9 with stone option.Ha Ha

Post imported post

Can you purchase serpa holsters at any sporting goods/outdoors stores? Actually, I haven't seen any retention system other than a simple thumb break device.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I have a question. My leather holster solidly grips the firearm, keeping it in the holster and requiring a firm tug to remove it, however it doesn't have any device that need be moved/removed/deactivated in order to draw. Is this considered retention or not?

State Researcher

Post imported post

It is my understanding that your (Dreqo) holster would be retention level 0.

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar

Post imported post

I have a holster thay I can pull my firearm out without effort. If I have to tug, push or pull with a lot of effort, that is considered time taken away from the business at hand. I OC/CC 50% of the time. Pulling a shirt out or up, or a coat back, that's time.

Most, but not all, people that I am around on a day to day bases knows I carry. I carry in sush a way that someone can't just grab it. If you have to lock your firearm to your body then why not just leave it at home.

Post imported post

On my exposed carry excursions I carry in an Uncle Mike's Pro-3 duty holster on a duty belt.

Without a thumbbreak strap on a holster and no tension screws or special devices gripping the trigger guard, a holster would be level zero. Carrying this way would make you 100% dependent upon your situational awarenes and your ability to defend your weapon form a snatch.

Adding retention devices and skills will help increase the difficulty for someone attempting to disarm you. I'd say it was worth it to buy a little time in the event someone does something stupid.

Of note- in my contact with police in August, it took several tries for the officer to sucessfully draw my weapon from my holster-

with my hands interlaced behind my head-

my stance spread and stationary-

while giving him verbal instructions-

This confirmed to me the value of retention in the event therewas a struggle for my weapon. Even if they did pull on it, Id have a fighting chance.

On another note- I wont be instructing other officers how to draw from my holster again. If they want to inspect my weapon that bad, they will have to learn how to draw without my help. After all, they are the professionals- they should know.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

State Researcher

Post imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
    Thats what I was thinking, too, all though that doesn't make sense to me since it does indeed retain the weapon to some degree. Otherwise, it would fall out if turned upside-down, right?

Anyway I guess mynormalsafarilandholster (not the leather one) islvl 1, all though it's a rather difficult lvl 1 for someone to snatch. I'm more than happy with the security it provides, especially since it doesn't slow my draw at all.

Post imported post

Can you give descriptions of the levels for the not so educated (me, and probably 1 or two other people :P)

My Galco SSS has a retention screw that kind of squeezes the leather tighter, would that be considered level 1?

I've seen the Sherpas with the level two index finger switch. I've read about the Level 3 sherpas with the hood that covers the slide.

Post imported post

I am basing my understanding of retention level on the following LEO website:

http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/C...iderations.htm

It states that:

An example of a level l holster would be a simple thumb-break device that must be unclipped in order to draw the weapon.

A Level ll holster example is one where a thumb-break is released then the pistol must be moved (rocked forward or rearwards) in the holster to clear some form of internal locking device before it can be drawn.

A Level lll holster is one where three separate retaining devices, both internal and external must be undone or bypassed.
    • (a side note, Dreqo's would probably not be considered a level I. Although it requires the pistol to be moved/rocked, this does not clear some internal locking device. This is of course based upon the aforementioned definition.)

Post imported post

I usually carry my XD45 in a Galco holster with no thumbbreak. However, I does fit rather tight and unless you draw at just the right angle (took quite a bit of practice to get it down) it's just not coming out. Thats not just supposition on my part either, I had a buddy of mine attempt to snatch my gun from several different positions with limited success. And the times he did get it out I had more than enough time to fight back.
    Summary: No retention /= Not safe

Post imported post

I guess my Blade-Tech Kydex IWB holster would bea "Level 0"

Regular Member dave_in_delaware's Avatar

Post imported post

Nice poll!

My Blackhawk SERPA CQC is a level 2 auto-locking holster. It's my only OC holster, and it works perfectly and it keeps the gun INSIDE very well. I've yanked on the thing, and short of breaking my belt off, it keeps the gun inside. Yet the release mechanism is smooth from the owner's vantage point and requires little effort.

There is no thumb break. Just push down on the little lever w/ your trigger finger, and pull the gun straight out. It's one simple flowing natural motion.

Plus, it fits both of my XD's (service and subbie) perfectly.

Dave
    Co-Founder & Global Moderator
    Delaware Open Carry

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    I have a question. My leather holster solidly grips the firearm, keeping it in the holster and requiring a firm tug to remove it, however it doesn't have any device that need be moved/removed/deactivated in order to draw. Is this considered retention or not?

I have an IWB holster that sounds like what you are describing. I do a lot of field work and thought that it was sufficient as it was snug and you could hold the holster up side down and it would stay, but then one day I was leaving the office and running to catch a bus and clunk, out came my gun and landed on the sidewalk. The bouncing up and down as I ran did the trick.

I don't use that holster any more and all my holsters are now level 1 (I am not including my fanny packs as I don't know what they would qualify as, but think of them as level 1, where you unzip and then draw.)

Tarzan

State Researcher

Post imported post

kmcdowel wrote:
    I am basing my understanding of retention level on the following LEO website:

http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/C...iderations.htm
    Based on that, my Fobus has retention level 0....
    However, the pistol "snaps" into the holster and will not fall out...even if held upside down. I have ran, rolled around on the ground and ridden my ATV all day without ever losing my weapon. The pistol also has to be drawn at a "proper angle" to get it out consistently.

State Researcher

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    vmathis12019 wrote:
    Thats what I was thinking, too, all though that doesn't make sense to me since it does indeed retain the weapon to some degree. Otherwise, it would fall out if turned upside-down, right?

Anyway I guess mynormalsafarilandholster (not the leather one) islvl 1, all though it's a rather difficult lvl 1 for someone to snatch. I'm more than happy with the security it provides, especially since it doesn't slow my draw at all.
    I see what you're saying. I think most people are basing their understanding of levels based on a scale that doesn't include friction type retention holsters. These holsters do, of course, "retain" the weapon, but in the sense that the poll is referring too, they do not have a retention level.

Post imported post

When I OC its a 1911 in a thumb break holster 99.9% of the time. I CC most of the time though in a open top IWB holster.

Post imported post

I guess I'm in the Zero category.

This is my rig from Bianchi. It keeps a very tight hold ontheweapon & requires fast, hard tug to break free. Also like others have said, it seems to lock-up & not let go if you pull the gun from the wrong angle.

It does have an O-Ring type retention device that can be used if I feel it necessary but 99% of the time it remains tucked between the holster & my belt.

This picture from Bianchi's web site shows the O-ring in place.

Post imported post

I use a G-Code holster it has a retention screw, however it isn't tightened.
    Not a pic of my gear
    I use the IWB, narrow and standard belt attachments along with the dual mag carrier.

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Level 0/1 - buckle unfastened unless I'm out in the woods or somewhere where activity might cause it to fall out.

-ljp

Post imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
    I think i'd say level one at least. And if you do concealed carry you really dont need that much retention because no one can see it.

Post imported post

abrink wrote:
    FightingGlock19 wrote:
    I think i'd say level one at least. And if you do concealed carry you really dont need that much retention because no one can see it.
    Actually, it's a level zero (O) retention holster.

Post imported post

Mjolnir wrote:
    abrink wrote:
    FightingGlock19 wrote:
    Actually, it's a level zero (O) retention holster.
    I guess i can understand that. But the fact that it's IWB would prob make it harder for someone to grab.

Post imported post

had to vote level 0

though upon holstering my gun,i do hear a slight click.so maybe a level 1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast