• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Poll: Your Retention Level

What is the level of retention on your holster?

• Level 0: If it weren't for gravity, my gun would probably float away

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Level I

• Level II

• Level III

• Total voters

Legba

imported post

Level 0/1 - buckle unfastened unless I'm out in the woods or somewhere where activity might cause it to fall out.

-ljp

abrink

imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
I guess my Blade-Tech Kydex IWB holster would bea "Level 0" :question:
I think i'd say level one at least. And if you do concealed carry you really dont need that much retention because no one can see it.

Mjolnir

imported post

abrink wrote:
FightingGlock19 wrote:
I think i'd say level one at least. And if you do concealed carry you really dont need that much retention because no one can see it.
Actually, it's a level zero (O) retention holster.

abrink

imported post

Mjolnir wrote:
abrink wrote:
FightingGlock19 wrote:
Actually, it's a level zero (O) retention holster.
I guess i can understand that. But the fact that it's IWB would prob make it harder for someone to grab.

nh92d

imported post

had to vote level 0

though upon holstering my gun,i do hear a slight click.so maybe a level 1

galcoholster.jpg

Thundar

imported post

I have many guns and thus many holsters. The Serpa for my 229 has never let go unless I pressed the button, a definite 3.

IWB for my Uncle Mike's J Frame S&W is at the other end of the spectrum a definite zero.

Texaschl

imported post

I use a Blackhawk SERPA CQC is a level 2 auto-locking holster.worn at 3:30 with a FBI cant,and its easy to operate and keeps my 1911 where no one can draw it out and use it on me.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Thundar wrote:
I have many guns and thus many holsters. The Serpa for my 229 has never let go unless I pressed the button, a definite 3.

IWB for my Uncle Mike's J Frame S&W is at the other end of the spectrum a definite zero.
I was under the impression that Serpas were level 2 or 1. What are the 3 separate devices or catches that must be bypassed to remove the weapon?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DreQo wrote:
Thundar wrote:

I was under the impression that Serpas were level 2 or 1. What are the 3 separate devices or catches that must be bypassed to remove the weapon?
The Blackhawk CQC Serpas are level II or III. The level III has a thumb latch added. There is a level 1 CQC holster that doesn't have the SERPA retention lever you hit with your finger as you draw.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

It seems to me like the Serpas are incorrectly labeled. It's already been clarified that the level is based on the number of individual locking mechanisms that must be bypassed in order to draw the weapon. A holster that "hugs" the gun, but only requires a regular drawing motion is not considered a retention holster, or Level 0. A holster with a single thumb break, or in Serpa's case, the trigger guard catch, is lvl 1. Blackhawk's supposed lvl 3 holster, with a trigger guard catch AND a thumb-released rear-of-slide catch, would really only be lvl 2.
http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=4105&C=C2091
Whereis the second retention device on that holster?(Level 2 Serpa Matte Finish)Is there some other release on these holsters that I don't know about?

nickerj1

imported post

color of law wrote:
I have a holster thay I can pull my firearm out without effort. If I have to tug, push or pull with a lot of effort, that is considered time taken away from the business at hand. I OC/CC 50% of the time. Pulling a shirt out or up, or a coat back, that's time.

Most, but not all, people that I am around on a day to day bases knows I carry. I carry in sush a way that someone can't just grab it. If you have to lock your firearm to your body then why not just leave it at home.

Beautiful strawman argument.

swillden

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Whereis the second retention device on that holster? (Level 2 Serpa Matte Finish)Is there some other release on these holsters that I don't know about?
Blackhawk claims that the retention screw that allows you to make the holster grip tightly is the other mechanism. I like my Serpa, but I consider it a level 1 holster.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

swillden wrote:
DreQo wrote:
Whereis the second retention device on that holster? (Level 2 Serpa Matte Finish)Is there some other release on these holsters that I don't know about?
Blackhawk claims that the retention screw that allows you to make the holster grip tightly is the other mechanism. I like my Serpa, but I consider it a level 1 holster.
Given the design of the CQC holster, even with the SERPA button depressed, if properly tensioned, it really cannot be removed in any direction except straight out. At any angle it stays put which I guess meets the level 1 requirement of only easily removed by the wearer. Unless someone draws it straight out and up it ain't coming out (at least at my tension level).

ETA: I meant to add this review of the SERPA level III from officer.com:
To be called a "Level III" holster, there have to be three different and independent retention devices built into the holster. In this case the three retention devices are:
  1. Tension. Adjust it with any Philips head screwdriver.
  2. The SERPA lock, which secures the trigger guard of the weapon until activated/released by the shooter during the draw stroke.
  3. What BlackHawk calls a "Pivot Guard," which is a spring-loaded chunk of polymer which pivots up and over the back of the weapon slide and, again, is released/activated during the natural draw stroke.
http://tinyurl.com/2vl8gd

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

swillden wrote:
DreQo wrote:

Yeah, thats what I thought. It makes sense to say that holsters that grip the weapon and prevent it from falling out are indeed retaining the weapon. However, according to the original definition of the "Retention Levels", that doesn't count.

Here's a good example of an ACTUAL level 3 holster, and the video shows a level 4 version of the same holster. You'll notice that the weapon has to be physically moved to clear the last device, not simply pulled in the right direction.

One should also note that the retention levels were originally introduced by Safariland in the first place.

http://www.safariland.com/product.aspx?pid=6070

VIDEO: http://www.safariland.com/media/pop.asp?model=6070