• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Republican Debate Tonight on Fox News

Thundar

imported post

It is not a Republican Debate. The N.H. Republican Party has rescinded support for this gathering. It is now just a Fox News show. Because Fox News has excluded Dr. Ron Paul and refused to explain their logic, I attribute their recalcitrant and elitist attitude to their un-American bias. I am watching only to see which sponsors I will be sending my "Why are you sponsoring an Elitist and un-American program?" letters to.

imperialism2024

imported post

Ironically, the top banner ad I just had on this thread read "Is Fox News fair and balanced?" and had a link, allegedly, to a survey.

Those targeted ads sure are working :D

At any rate, I'm not entirely interesting in watching the gaggle of GOP candidates discuss who can best spend my money, or who can best tell me how I should live my life.

sjhipple

imported post

Yeah, it was funny. At first, Fox said, "well, he doesn't have enough support in the polls. He needs at least 10%." Then, Ron Paul passed 10%. Then they said, "Well, the NH GOP doesn't want the event to be crowded." And the NH GOP was like, "hey we think Ron Paul should be there." Then, they said - and I think this is hilarious - "we don't have enough room...our table only seats six and our moderator has to sit there" (because we all know Fox can't afford a new table).

They're scared of him

The NH GOP demanded that all candidates be included, Fox refused and so the NH GOP pulled their support. This is not a Republican debate. As stated earlier, it's just another Fox show with 5 guests.

This election has cemented in my mind that Fox is NOT a conservative network. They're a pro-war network. That's all.

imperialism2024

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
This election has cemented in my mind that Fox is NOT a conservative network. They're a pro-war network. That's all.
Eh, isn't that what the modern GOP is? Pro-war, anti-immigrant, and anti-gay?

I don't mean that to incite or flame anyone, just an observation. I used to like the GOP, but to me, they've abandoned those of us who desire a small, constitutional government, and have morphed into a fountain of Fundamentalist Christianity.

sjhipple

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
ama-gi wrote:
Eh, isn't that what the modern GOP is? Pro-war, anti-immigrant, and anti-gay?

I don't mean that to incite or flame anyone, just an observation. I used to like the GOP, but to me, they've abandoned those of us who desire a small, constitutional government, and have morphed into a fountain of Fundamentalist Christianity.
All I know is they're not conservative and will never get another dime of my money (and they wonder why the NRSC NRCCC and RNC can barely keep their heads above water and are barely raising any money at all...then Ron Paul strolls in and raises almost $30 Million in a year's time...hmmmmmm...I wonder what's happening)

sjhipple

imported post

Here's the town hall meetig thatbroadcast on New Hampshire television due to Ron Paul's exclusion from the Fox News debate. It was kick ass if you ask me :). RP was also invited onto the Tonight Show with Jay Leno again because of the exclusion.

sjhipple

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Republicans seem almost as Godless as Democrats and Libertarians.

Hm, so the Republicans don't even stand for Christians. They're completely worthless.

Btw, there's nothing "godless" about liberty. I viewlibertarianism as the most Christian of all political philosophies because it's first premise is that we are endowed by God with certain rights and its second is that we should not initiate force against another (which is basically a restatement of this passage).

I can be a Christian in my everyday life and yet not wish to force others to live like me. Jesus never advocated using force (which is EXACTLY what government is: force. As George Washington said, "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force.")....Anyway, Jesus never advocated using force to spread Christianity. He talked about setting a good example. Putting a gun to your neighbors head (or authorizing the government to do so on your behalf) is not exactly the type of Christian example I want to set for others.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I suspect that the pallid 'c'hristianity fed us by TV and pandering pastors relates little to the Christians that battled Islam to a standstill.

Analogous to the Jesuits, the Pope's Soldiers of Christ, and the NRA. Both should be honored for what they have done. Should we honor them for what they now are?

sjhipple

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
I suspect that the pallid 'c'hristianity fed us by TV and pandering pastors relates little to the Christians that battled Islam to a standstill.

Jesus explicitly separated Christianity from government. He differentiated between the Kingdom of Earth and the Kingdom of Heaven (see also here...although I must admit it's not one of my favorite verses :p).

Any form of Christianity that is mixed with government isa perversion (in my opinion) and you can see that every time Christianity became an arm of government (as Islam has historically been), it became violent.

Biblical Christianity has nothing to do with government. Christianity never associated with government untilEmperor Constantine wanted to unite Rome anddid so using religion. He thereby mixedChristianity with government (and also mixed it with a bunch of other religions...which is why we celebrate the Resurection of Christ with eggs and bunnies in a throwback to pagan fertility festivals and we celebrate Christmas with a tree in the winter time on the exact day that the Julian Calendar recognized the winter solstice, which had alot of significance in pagen religions,even thoughChrist wasn't born in the winter and there were no evergreen trees in Bethlehem).

The result of mixing Christianity with government (The Dark Ages) wasn't pretty.

sjhipple

imported post

Bah! Bush has taken more of my freedom than Osama Bin Laden ever could...not that he "hates me for my freedom" in the first place, but if he did, he'd probably like me alot more now than he used to.

Bush has been frittering away my freedoms for a threat that's less likely to kill you than being struck by lightening.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Christianity is simple. Matthew 22 - 35 through 40

35 Then one of them which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him and saying.
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jusus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, andwith all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Go beyond this and you have violated the law.

sjhipple

imported post

color of law wrote:
Christianity is simple. Matthew 22 - 35 through 40

35 Then one of them which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him and saying.
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jusus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, andwith all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Go beyond this and you have violated the law.
THAT was what Jesus actually brought to the world. He retaught what had already been taught for 3,000 years, but he taught it through the lense of LOVE rather than LAW.

kmcdowel

imported post

Anyone watch Ron Paul on Leno? I was surprised to learn how well he is doing, based upon the Leno show and what you have said. I'm shocked Fox didn't include him in the 'debate.' He mentioned suing Fox for fraud, because they claim to be fair and balanced; don’t know whether he was joking or not. He is swimming in dangerous waters with his stance that USA, in a round about way, brought on the 9/11 attacks. His reasoning did make sense, but I can see other candidates attacking this. A concept that I didn’t fully understand, or that just didn’t make sense was 'backing up currency so politicians can't just print it off.' I know a while back that money was a slip that was actually backed up by gold. Ron Paul said currency stopped being 'backed up' 1971. I don’t know how we could change this or what good it would do. Politicians do not just print off money when they need it, nor does our government. The value of the American dollar is diminishing, but not because we are printing them off. Some speculate that it is because of our federal reserve's interest rate, and that central banks around the world are switching from USD to Euros.

• A side note, I really like Huckabee's stance on Immigration...

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

kmcdowel wrote:
A concept that I didn’t fully understand, or that just didn’t make sense was 'backing up currency so politicians can't just print it off.' I know a while back that money was a slip that was actually backed up by gold. Ron Paul said currency stopped being 'backed up' 1971. I don’t know how we could change this or what good it would do. Politicians do not just print off money when they need it, nor does our government. The value of the American dollar is diminishing, but not because we are printing them off. Some speculate that it is because of our federal reserve's interest rate, and that central banks around the world are switching from USD to Euros.

Breifly as this is pretty offtopic;

A Federal Reserve Note (AKA "dollar bills") are a debt instrument created by a for profit, private banking corporation empowered by congress in 1913. In times past, you could take a promissary note (ie; silver or gold certificates)to a bank or the U.S. Treasury and receive the value that it promised. This was incrementally replaced with what is known as 'fiat currency' or 'legal tender'. In 1971, the U.S. government stopped the Bretton Woods agreement, severing gold's ties to world currencies.

Since this paper has no real value, the printing- or more specifically, the creation of money out of thin air makes it possible to infinitely reduce the nominal value of a $ (FRN). This is like having a checkbook and drafting checks without reguard to the amount or interest accruedand selling the debt off to any takers. Each time congress 'pays' for something out of this checkbook, our money loses value- while at the same time those who hold our debt (ie; international banks, governments like China...) take significant benefits.

sjhipple

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
kmcdowel wrote:
A concept that I didn’t fully understand, or that just didn’t make sense was 'backing up currency so politicians can't just print it off.' I know a while back that money was a slip that was actually backed up by gold. Ron Paul said currency stopped being 'backed up' 1971. I don’t know how we could change this or what good it would do. Politicians do not just print off money when they need it, nor does our government. The value of the American dollar is diminishing, but not because we are printing them off. Some speculate that it is because of our federal reserve's interest rate, and that central banks around the world are switching from USD to Euros.

Breifly as this is pretty offtopic;

A Federal Reserve Note (AKA "dollar bills") are a debt instrument created by a for profit, private banking corporation empowered by congress in 1913. In times past, you could take a promissary note (ie; silver or gold certificates)to a bank or the U.S. Treasury and receive the value that it promised. This was incrementally replaced with what is known as 'fiat currency' or 'legal tender'. In 1971, the U.S. government stopped the Bretton Woods agreement, severing gold's ties to world currencies.

Since this paper has no real value, the printing- or more specifically, the creation of money out of thin air makes it possible to infinitely reduce the nominal value of a $ (FRN). This is like having a checkbook and drafting checks without reguard to the amount or interest accruedand selling the debt off to any takers. Each time congress 'pays' for something out of this checkbook, our money loses value- while at the same time those who hold our debt (ie; international banks, governments like China...) take significant benefits.

Excellent analysis. For more info, see the below video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5232639329002339531