• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shotgun sling questions...

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I'm looking for a sling for my mossberg shotgun. I've tried two slings so far with nothing about issues. The main problem has been the sling not being long enough. Anyway, I'm looking for a sling that allows the shotgun to be carried comfortably behind you (EDIT: or in front), hands free, and brought up to firing position if need be. Anybody got any ideas?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
may I suggest the Blue Force Gear UDC Single Point Sling?

I can't find much info on that sling, but I can say that I'm skeptical about using a single-point sling. I'm afraid it would be something like wearing a very heavy, swinging necklace.

I might just have to look at using something similiar to the 3-point slings we had for our M-16s in Iraq. I just wanna be able to have my shotgun firmly slung on my back and be able to pull it up to firing position in a moments notice, just like the video games! :D

FightingGlock19

imported post

DreQo wrote:
FightingGlock19 wrote:
may I suggest the Blue Force Gear UDC Single Point Sling?

I can't find much info on that sling, but I can say that I'm skeptical about using a single-point sling. I'm afraid it would be something like wearing a very heavy, swinging necklace.

I might just have to look at using something similiar to the 3-point slings we had for our M-16s in Iraq. I just wanna be able to have my shotgun firmly slung on my back and be able to pull it up to firing position in a moments notice, just like the video games! :D

the BFG UDC Sling is designed so the weapon falls to the weak-side.

http://www.atstacticalgear.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=BFG-001!BLU- The same gear company offers the universal adapter http://www.atstacticalgear.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=BFG-005!BLU

I have two I purchased from another source on both of my AK-47's and I love 'em!

Two- and Three-Point Tactical Slings aren't very ...well ...tactical

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ok, it's looking more interesting. How does the universal adapter attach to a weapon? Do any of the buckles have to be released to bring the weapon to firing position? How is the sling worn? I'm assuming it goes over your strong-side shoulder and under your weak-side arm, right? It seems like hanging a shotgun under my arm would be really impratical...wouldn't it be swinging around all over the place?

FightingGlock19

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Ok, it's looking more interesting. How does the universal adapter attach to a weapon? Do any of the buckles have to be released to bring the weapon to firing position? How is the sling worn? I'm assuming it goes over your strong-side shoulder and under your weak-side arm, right? It seems like hanging a shotgun under my arm would be really impratical...wouldn't it be swinging around all over the place?

the universal adapter loops around the stock (at the smallest part) and the female buckle goes thru the loop.

The sling is worn as you described.

No buckles have to be undone to bring the weapon to your shoulder.

I don't know how much moving you'll be doing with the weapon off of your shoulder, but, like mentioned about the ones for my AK-47's, I love 'em. There's no issues with the slings, gun movement, and my movements.

Maybe I can get a little bit of extra time tomorrow and get some pics of my slings for you.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
...I don't know how much moving you'll be doing with the weapon off of your shoulder....

The theory is that the weapon would be in stand-by during other activities, as apposed to being the primary tool in use.

Now I know I'm risking a whole lot of flaming here, but this is the best example I can find of what I'm talking about.....and yep, it's from a video game:

7554COD4shottyonback.jpg

See how his shotty is magically suspended on his back while he works his assault rifle? My question is, can this be accomplished in real life? I'm starting to think I might need something like this:

http://www.specialforces.com/store/catalog/product_25795_Shotgun_Scabbard.html

FightingGlock19

imported post

check your pm's tomrrow evening sometime. I'll try to make time to get some pics for you.

The pic you posted came up X, so I don't know what it's looking like. Anyway, usually video games aren't too damned realistic when it comes to weapon retention rigs

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
check your pm's tomrrow evening sometime. I'll try to make time to get some pics for you.

The pic you posted came up X, so I don't know what it's looking like. Anyway, usually video games aren't too damned realistic when it comes to weapon retention rigs
I fixed the pic, apparently the original source wasn't very reliable. I know what you're saying about video games not being realistic. The only reason I would even consider using this shot as an example is because it's from Call of Duty 4. They put an ungodly amount of effort into making everything as realistic as possible, ESPECIALLY the weapons. The Marines are running around with Safariland 6004 holsters...the night-sights on the 1911 glow a dull green in low light...you can see the individual slots on the picatinny rail of the fore-grip ofthe M16A4.So I don't get why they'd work so hard on everything else, then say screw it when it comes to carrying the shotgun, ya know?

Marco

imported post

Spec-Ops Master Blaster Combat Fighting Sling.
For carrying strongside the shotgun is barrel down at an angle, it can be brought up to the ready extremely quick.

Is this what you are looking for.

botach_1798_30622907

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Spec-Ops Master Blaster Combat Fighting Sling.
For carrying strongside the shotgun is barrel down at an angle, it can be brought up to the ready extremely quick.

Is this what you are looking for.
That might be what I need. When you say strongside with barrel down, I'm assuming you mean on the back, with the butt near your weak shoulder, correct?
Or you could get the Knoxx collapsiblestock foryour shotgun and use this.

Good suggestion, and I already have a collapsible stock from ATI, however that device isn't compatible with the shotgun stock. You see, that ring is designed for an AR-15, where the stock is threaded on. The ATI stock for the mossberg presses on and is secured with a pin, so the extra space taken up by that ring puts the pin holes out of alignment.

Marco

imported post

Yeah, stock near weak side shoulder.

The adapter was a reference object,I had a friend stamp one out for me to fit my Knoxx Stock.
Or you could bore and cut to fit:idea:
slingMounting.gif

The Knoxx stocks have three possible slings options.

USMC91E6

imported post

DreQo wrote:
I'm looking for a sling for my mossberg shotgun. I've tried two slings so far with nothing about issues. The main problem has been the sling not being long enough. Anyway, I'm looking for a sling that allows the shotgun to be carried comfortably behind you (EDIT: or in front), hands free, and brought up to firing position if need be. Anybody got any ideas?
Hey, I went to the exchange and got a M-4 sling and it works just fine.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

USMC91E6 wrote:
DreQo wrote:
3-point sling I'm assuming?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Well I ended up getting a sling from the exchange. It's a Specter brand SOP sling: http://www.spectergear.com/sop_sling.htm

The sling works very well as a standard 3-point sling, and the 1.5 in wide band is much more comfortable than thinner slings. As far as carrying it on my back and out of the way, their website has a neat instructional area that shows you how to carry your weapon in different positions, including the "climbers carry":

bponsm5.gif

It takes two hands to get into, but once it's on your back, the transition to firing position is very quick.

USMC91E6

imported post

DreQo wrote:
USMC91E6 wrote:
DreQo wrote:
3-point sling I'm assuming?
yes