• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CA_Libertarian soon to be NH_Libertarian

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

As many of you know, I am involved in the Free State Project. I just graduated college, and am in the unique position of not being tied down by family or work. So, I'm taking advantage of the timing to make the move to New Hampshire. I'll probably be flying out the last week of Feb or the first week of March.

Once I move we will probably need a replacement State Administrator. As of right now there isn't much involved in that, other than to keep the state page up to date as the laws change. I'm sure I'll check in from time to time to see what's new, but I won't be able to keep up with it once I'm busy fixing stuff in NH.

Thank you all for making this a great place to learn and share experiences. I won't name names, but without the hard work of several members, my OC experience would have been much more challenging. Keep up the good work.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wow CA_Lib. Makin the move. That's admirable. The FSP seems really cool. I would consider it if I were younger and didn't have zillions of friends and family here. Also, it's east of the Mississippi. I could never live anywhere but the west. It's too damn crowded back east.

ScottNH

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
As many of you know, I am involved in the Free State Project. I just graduated college, and am in the unique position of not being tied down by family or work. So, I'm taking advantage of the timing to make the move to New Hampshire. I'll probably be flying out the last week of Feb or the first week of March.

Once I move we will probably need a replacement State Administrator. As of right now there isn't much involved in that, other than to keep the state page up to date as the laws change. I'm sure I'll check in from time to time to see what's new, but I won't be able to keep up with it once I'm busy fixing stuff in NH.

Thank you all for making this a great place to learn and share experiences. I won't name names, but without the hard work of several members, my OC experience would have been much more challenging. Keep up the good work.
:uhoh:

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

MarkNH wrote:
So... feel like giving us a list of things you want to fix in NH? ;)
Let's just say I want to make it less like CA. For those of you in NH who may not know, CA is almost exactly like MA.

I know NH has nowhere near the problems that CA or MA do, but there's always room for improvement. You can never have too small a government, too low taxes, or too little gun control.

MarkNH

State Researcher
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
MarkNH wrote:
So... feel like giving us a list of things you want to fix in NH? ;)
Let's just say I want to make it less like CA. For those of you in NH who may not know, CA is almost exactly like MA.

I know NH has nowhere near the problems that CA or MA do, but there's always room for improvement. You can never have too small a government, too low taxes, or too little gun control.
I agree with you there, just wanted to give you a heads up that a lot of people in NH get resentful of newcomers who think they know everything and want to make changes without really trying to understand the state first.

The FSP is, unfortunately, getting a bad reputation here because of the most extreme members who believe that every law, rule, or regulation is illegal: as opposed to picking your fights and trying to change things incrementally for the better over time.

I have lived in both CA (Larkspur, just North of SF) and NH, as well as VA, WA, CT, and NJ..... and CA is a world apart from NH. The government is small ($100/yr salary for state representatives), taxes are low (no income/sales tax, but libs are raising property tax too much with discretionary spending), and gun control is non-existant compared to CA (only problems are a permit needed for concealed carry or carry in a car, and no loaded long guns in cars).

All I ask is take a short time to get to know the state before trying to change things, otherwise you will just come across as a clueless newcomer (which would be counter-productive to your goal).

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

MarkNH wrote:
All I ask is take a short time to get to know the state before trying to change things, otherwise you will just come across as a clueless newcomer (which would be counter-productive to your goal).
That's reasonable. I don't expect to change anything overnight, and I certainly am not out to create anarchy. However, I believe in always working to improve things... in business we call this continuous improvement. Not out to make BIG changes, just little steps to keep things moving in the right direction.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

UPDATE:

My move to NH has been postponed (much to my dismay). I don't want to get into the reasons, but lets just say that I am between a rock and a hard place.

So, as I'm going to be stuck here, I'm going to make the best of it. I plan to continue to exercise my rights in the Central Valley.

Also, I am pleased to announce I'll be relocating to Modesto. This has many benefits, including cutting about an hour off my daily commute. What I find even more exciting is the prospect of open carry in unexplored territory.

Anybody want to place a bet on how long it will take before I get kicked out of the Costco in Modesto? :cool:

MarkNH

State Researcher
imported post

Sorry to hear the move to NH isn't happening the way you hoped.

Open Carry in Modesto could be quite an experience, though hopefully not as bad as if I had tried it when I lived in Marin County :D

PavePusher

imported post

I have a beer that says you don't last 15 minutes. Of course, that beer is a known

instigator...:DHis neighborbeer says no-one will notice. But I don't trust him. I think that beer is just cranky 'cause I drank his buddy last night. In fact, now I'm feeling thirsty....;)