• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ATF audit

Legba

imported post

Well, I'm nearly through my very first ATF audit. There were some bookkeeping/administrative "issues" that they will probably document for corrective action, but no missing guns or unregistered silencers, or any such eggregious violations, so I think we'll be OK. It is unnerving, though, having to answer to The Man about every last damned detail of things that happened before I even worked here, and trying to take care of business while they're pouring over the books and inventory at the same time.

I appreciate better the complaints about arbitrary enforcement from dealers - different inspectors place different emphasis on different things (e.g. do you need to execute a 4473 form for black-powder purchases?). There's a lot of room to get violated, despite any amount of good faith, andrepeat violations of any kind are routinely considered deliberate even given that past inspections didn't necessarilyflag problems.

Since there's no continuing education requirement for FFLs as such, it is incumbent upon licensees tokeep themselves current on any and all changes in laws and policies. Little things like posting a copy of the Youth Handgun Safety Act on the wall, in addition to supplying a copy with every handgun purchase, having and offering trigger locks, checking ID for ammo purchases (just to verify age), asking pertinent questions to frustrate "straw purchases" - these add up. There's no end of ways to get in trouble.

So, the next time you're in a gun shop and you don't see the Youth Handgun Safety Act on the wall, or they don't card you for ammo,say, remind them politely that it's in their interests to be fully compliant about all these things. There are spies who go into shops trying to embroil the operators in shady dealings, and I'd hate to see another mom & pop that's been in business for decades go under for anything less than outright criminal malfeasance.

-ljp

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Yeah, the ATF seems to be above the law, which is pretty discouraging for someone wanting to get his/her FFL, let alone for someone already having one.

I'm not sure even getting a C&R license is worth the possible hassle? The C&R would come in handy as I look for a decent Tokarev...but I still wonder.

Good luck to you,

-- John D.

Evil Ernie

imported post

FFL03 (C&R) is no biggie. Basically it's a slightly extended version of a 4733. I gots mine and it's so nice being able to order a Mauser from someone halfway across the country and have it delivered to my door!
As long as you keep your bound book (record of purchases, liquidations, and inventory) updated, there's usually no problems. Plus it's a rare occurance that BATFE does an audit on an 03 holder. You have to be caught doing something really stupid like ordering guns for a buddy (BIG no-no either way) or selling for a profit. It's sole purpose is that of a collectors license, nothing less, nothing more.