• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dave_in_Delaware's Open Carry Log

dave_in_delaware

imported post

Well, instead of creating a new topic for each time and making the topic list grow,I thought I'd jump on Wynder's "OC log" bandwagonand create my own log for my experiences. :D (Good idea, Wynder!)

I won't retype my first two experiences since I've already written about them in earlier topics:

1st: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum15/5435.html

2nd: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum15/7122.html

Now, for my 3rd (Jan 6, 2008 around 7:00pm):

My fiancee and I went out for dinner (before a movie) last night and I decided to OC. We went to Hollywood Grill there across from Astra Zeneca at Routes 202/141. I had my same "set up" as before: SERPA OWB holster w/ my XD-9 service out in plain sight with my jacket sort of tucked behind the holster. I was wearing my black BDU's, boots, and a gray polo shirt (tucked in). And no, I don't wear the BDU's "just because" I was OCing. I wear them to work a lot, too, and I consider them "everyday" wear just like jeans.

I don't think anyone saw my gun as we entered the restaurant and went to our seat. Which is a good thing, because apparently this place is a favorite place to eat among theelderly. :shock:This time I ended up sitting so my gun was to the inside of the booth, so I'm pretty sure our waitress didn't notice.

The only time anyone may have noticed is when I got up and went to the bathroom: on my way back to my seat, I walked past a few waitresses standing at their station and I think one may have looked down and saw it, but nothing was said and no one was acting wierd about it.

The only time I know someone saw it was when we were leaving. The woman that was sitting behind my fiancee had been yapping w/ her friend the whole time, but as I was standing almost next to her on our way out, and I slowly walked past her, I heard her stop in mid-sentence. She must have pointed to it, because I noticed her friend turn around a little to look. But again, nothing was said. Not even as I was standing at the front of the restaurant paying the bill.

So, chalk another uneventful OC experience up for me. :celebrate

Again, I contribute my positive experiences to two things: 1. Obeying the OC laws by having the gun/holster 100% visible; and probably more importantly2. Walking/acting "normal" like OC is an every day thing.

(And FYI: I did NOT OC into the movie theater, because I already knew Regal Cinemas prohibit firearms. And I'm glad I didn't, because there were two DSP Troopers standing inside the foyer!)

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

The worst they can do is ask you to leave. Though, I wonder what the DSP would've done... :what::what::what:

dave_in_delaware

imported post

Yeah, that's what I'd be afraid of. Sure, Regal would have asked me to leave (after pointing to the "no guns" sign). But even before getting up to the box office, I would have had to walk right past the Troopers.The worst they could do would be arrest me.

:what:

dave_in_delaware

imported post

Wynder wrote:
Do they have signs?
Regal Cimema doesn't have a sign on the outside doors, but on the box office window (where you pay for your tickets), there's a list of rules/regs. On that list, in a tiny rectangle maybe 3/4" high x 3" long, there's a symbol of a handgun w/ a red circle/line through it, and text stating something like "Firearms, whether concealed or open, are prohibited."Some day I'll take a picture of it and post it on the "gun unfriendly list."

dave_in_delaware

imported post

4th time: Jan 14, 2008 @ 9:00pm

My fiancee wanted to go "shopping" for some snow-related things, and groceries, so we went to Home Depot and Pathmark, both on Route 13 in New Castle near the Farmer's Market and airport.

Home Depot was pretty empty, and I didn't notice anyone noticing me carrying anything. That's good.

Pathmark was a little busier, but I only noticed two different instances when someone saw my gun. Once was in the aisles, when two guys walking past did a double-take (but nothing was said), and then while I was putting the bags into the cart at checkout, the woman bagging next to us certainly noticed, because she sort of froze for a few seconds. She continued to bag her stuff, occasionally looking over to make sure I was STILL not doing anything w/ my gun. LOL.

Other than a few looks (and a semi-freaked woman), it was uneventful again. :celebrate

I had on jeans, sneakers, and my winter coat (tucked behind my holster).

I'm certainly hoping EVERY OC experience is like this - uneventful and quiet.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

5th time: Jan 17th @ 8:00pm

Tonight was a great time OCing, and I wasn't alone! I met a few (4) other OCDO members at IHOP tonight! Most of us were OCing, too. It was awesome. We had good food (breakfast), good discussion,good laughs, and great comeraderie.

I didn't hear anyone comment on us OCing, and the waitress was "cool" about it. The only person who certainly noticed was an older gentleman that walked past us when we were all standing toleave. The guy comes back out of the bathroom and sort of looks at us w/ a grin, and walks past us w/ his hands up. LMAO. What a good sport. :lol:

Again, it was uneventfulfor the most part, andI think we all felt comfortable "advertising" that we're armed. Although, it would seem that I'm not the only one that sort of "expects" the cops to show up. So when they don't (which they haven't so far), it's all good!

Thanks to Wynder, sellahr, stephpd, and MustagDave for a wonderful OC experience!

MustangDave

imported post

That was funny what the guy did. I overheard a waitress saying something to the effect of "They're here to make sure we don't get robbed."that was pretty cool.

Yeah I'm up late, can't sleep.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

MustangDave wrote:
That was funny what the guy did. I overheard a waitress saying something to the effect of "They're here to make sure we don't get robbed."that was pretty cool.

Yeah I'm up late, can't sleep.

Nice! Wasn't even sure if they had noticed.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

I have a feeling that more people notice than we realize. But nothing is said and no one freaks because, again, they probably assume we're LEO or something.

Like my fiancee says: we don't cause a panic or draw attention to ourselves or get the cops called on usbecause of the way we carry ourselves, our attitudes, our professionalism, etc. when openly carrying firearms.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

dave_in_delaware wrote:
I have a feeling that more people notice than we realize. But nothing is said and no one freaks because, again, they probably assume we're LEO or something.

I don't know... With Dave #1 wearing BDU's, Dave #2 looking 14 years old and Dave #3 having the hair down to his back... I don't know anyone who'd think we're LEO. ;p Especially with my rotund, reuban-esque shape, I'd be out of breath before chasing a bad guy a full block, hah!

dave_in_delaware

imported post

Wynder wrote:
I don't know... With Dave #1 wearing BDU's, Dave #2 looking 14 years old and Dave #3 having the hair down to his back... I don't know anyone who'd think we're LEO. ;p Especially with my rotund, reuban-esque shape, I'd be out of breath before chasing a bad guy a full block, hah!

Wait a minute... Why couldn't people think we're LEO? There are always undercover officers, and investigators, and "youngins" who can infiltrate teen crack houses.... I think it's perfectly plausible that we all could be LEO in some form or another. I've seen someBIG security guards around here in stores. I've seen some hefty police officers, too. And certainly more"reuban-esque" shape than you! So, yourcomment is null and void - you're certainly NOT as "out of shape" looking as you think.I never thought "pssh, yeah. Like he'd be able to run after me and catch me" about you. BUT, I have thought that about a few "guards" in local stores. What a joke!

Besides, have you ever watched 48 Hours?Those detectives have eaten MORE than their fair share of donuts!And they're going after murderers!

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

ROFL..

Yeah, detectives have been on the force a long while, and they do more investigating than chasing BG's. ;)

I dunno, undercover's certainly wouldn't OC. Maybe Bail Enforcement Officers, I could see them being somewhat roudy. I've thought about a career shift into law inforcement, but I really couldn't take the pay cut. Meh.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

Nevermind the paycut! How about giving me a decent enough salary IN RELATION to the possible threat to my life! Geez. For the number of times LEO's (and, say,armored car guards) put their life on the line, you'd have to pay me WAY more to make it worth it! Talk about disproportionate salary and working conditions!

dave_in_delaware

imported post

6th time: Sunday Jan 20, 2008 around 8:00pm-11:00pm:

My fiancee and I went to the Golden Dove (Route 13 near airport) for dinner, and to watch the Giants/Packers game (when we got there it was still only 6 to 7). We sat at the counter up front because of the TV right in front of us.

There were a few employees who sort of "hung out" there at the front, too. We were chatting with them off and on, and watching the game. Two people (different times) sat on my holster side, two seats away, and I think they may have noticed, but nothing was said.

One waitress (not even our's), waited about 2 hours to say something. In the middle of conversation w/ other patrons and employees (and watching the game), I hear this:

"Are you a cop?"

And I think OMG here we go... I replied:

"No."

and waited for the next question.... Nothing. She had walked away to do something else (or maybe she ran away LOL). That was it. My first questioning about my gun by "the gneral public" and nothing more than "Are you a cop?" LMAO. I'm not sure if she either 1. assumed I was some other LEO/BEO or military (or something like that), or 2. figured I didn't want to get into a list of questions where I might just keep saying "no," or 3. was happy with keeping her distance after that.

Personally, I'm guessing it was a combination of #1 and #2, since she did come back up front near us to get drinks, etc. And, again, the owner/manager saw it and didn't even flinch, as well as some of the other waitresses and patrons. Especially since I had to go to the restroom 3x (thanks to the 4 iced teas!), and we picked out or desserts up front, too.

So, chalk up another OC expereince as uneventful, especially the "questioning" LOL.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

7th time: Mon Jan 21, 2008 during afternoon and early evening:

We went to Happy Harry's there at Airport Road & 273 to pick up my fiancee's Rx. I knew this was going to be the biggest "test" place since there's always a "security guard" right inside the door. But, I decided to test it out. I looked outside near the entrance for signs.. none. I went inside, and.... NOTHING! There was no guard to be found. So, we walked back to the pharmacy, got her Rx, looked for paper for her, then at some Valentine's animals, then left. Nothing was said.

Later we go down to BJ's Wholesale Club. Here's another place I've been hesitant about. Again, no signs after the search at the entrance. The employees right inside the doors didn't notice or say anything. We walked around the movies, cat food, medicine up front, back to the bakery, then the frozen section. Again, not one word!!!

So, my two more "fearful" places of business for OC were also uneventful.

I'm almost starting to feel comfortable OCing a gun. Is that good or bad? :shock:

dave_in_delaware

imported post

Wynder wrote:
As long as complacency doesn't come with being comfortable!

Oh, no no. That's not at all what I meant. I'm still aware of people being around me, I keep my arm down in front of the gun/holster, etc... I'm certainly not interested in letting my guard down, especially while carrying a loaded weapon.

I'm just talking about not being as scared or hesitant with OC. If you recall my first post ever on OCDO, I was very hesitant about OCing in DE at all. I'm just now realizing it's not as bad as I expected... actually it's good and seemingly "accepted" so far.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

dave_in_delaware wrote:
Wynder wrote:
As long as complacency doesn't come with being comfortable!

Oh, no no. That's not at all what I meant. I'm still aware of people being around me, I keep my arm down in front of the gun/holster, etc... I'm certainly not interested in letting my guard down, especially while carrying a loaded weapon.

I'm just talking about not being as scared or hesitant with OC. If you recall my first post ever on OCDO, I was very hesitant about OCing in DE at all. I'm just now realizing it's not as bad as I expected... actually it's good and seemingly "accepted" so far.
The true test is when we do wind up being in the view of LEO or Security guards.