• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dave_in_Delaware's Open Carry Log

dave_in_delaware

imported post

8th time: Jan 23, 2008 5:45pm-7:00pm

Well, being Wednesday, I had visitation w/ my kids. I've been reluctant to OC around them in public, because I don't want them drawing attention to me (us), or making a big deal about me having a gun. BUT, tonight I decided it was time to test the OC waters w/ my kids.

We decided to go to McDonald's on 202 (Fairfax) and eat there for dinner. I told my kids to not make a big deal about Daddy carrying a gun, and for them not to say anything. And, for the record, they did just fine. Luckily for me, I've "exposed" them to my guns before and educated them on gun safety and told them about CC/OC and what I can/can't do....

Anyway, we get inside and go up to the counter. While asking the kids what they want and ordering it, the manager (who was at the cash register next to us) asks:

"Who are you with?"

to which I sort of looked at her a little blankly (since I wasn't aware she was actually talking TO me). Afer realizing she's asking me, I say:

"Just me." (yeah, a lame answer I guess, but my kids were distracting my thoughts for a perfect answer).

She patted her hip (in reference to my gun), and asked "No, who are you with?"

So I said "Oh, no one. Just me."

And she said "Oh, OK." (which wasn't an "Oh, OK?" sort of confused thing, but more of an understanding "Oh, OK." final thing. [did that make sense?]... I meant it in that I wasn't with any LE entity, group, etc. I'll admit that I should have answered it a bit more precisely, but at the same time, I don't have to explain myself, either.

So, we sit down to eat, and have a good time. I went back up to the front twice to get ketchup (my kids seem to inhale the stuff) and more napkins. Later, after everyone was done, we all went up to the counter and ordered desserts. The same manager waited on us this time, but she didn't say anything. I almost explained to her about civilians being allowed to OC, blah blah... but she didn't seem concerned, so I didn't "offer" any aditional info or explanation.

After dessert, we got our coats on and headed for the back door (we were sitting near it). A woman who had her son with her stopped us:

"Excuse me, can I ask you a few questions about that" as she pointed quickly to my gun. I was like, uh oh, here we go....

So I say "sure..."

She asks "Are you law enforcement or military?"

to which I reply "No, just a civilian."

To my surprise, she starts asking questions about OC vs CC, and what's necessary to apply for a CCDW, and background checks, and etc. She even says that she thinks it's more of a deterrant to OC than it would be if I was CCing, and that she hasn't seen much OCing by civilians but wishes she did. She was just curious and I answered her questions to the best of my knowledge (which seemed to be good enough for her), and I even mentioned this site for her to check out. I also gave her the "prototype" OC business card I showed you guys at the NCC meeting. I told her about some of the reasons that I choose to OC, and she totally agreed it's about protecting yourself and your family. She thanked me very much for my time (which was only about 5 minutes), and we went on our way.

So, this was the first time anyone wanted to "get into" anything beyond "Are you a cop?" kind of stuff. And it was a pleasant experience to inform the woman about OC. And the fact that it was a woman asking the questions kind of blew my mind. But she was very interested and seemingly curious about the whole concept.

Who knows? Maybe she'll be OCing with us some day! :celebrate

My only regret about the whole evening was answering the manager's original question kind of wierd. I should have been more "professional" I guess, but at the time it's what I thought was an accurate answer to what she asked....

(And by the way, my kids did just fine w/ me OCing. The only issue was at the counter when my son bumped his head on it twce when he went to hug me. LMAO.)

dave_in_delaware

imported post

9th time, Friday Jan 25th, 5:30-7:00pm, then at 9:00pm.

Well, since I had my gun in the car in my backpack while working today (no weapons allowed at the office), I decided that, at 5:00pm, I'd put it on right away. I'm beginning to feel naked when I DON'T have it on me and I'm out and about in public. Hmmm...

Anyway, I leave work's parking lot and head towards a client's office (for my side business) to pick up a new project. On the way, I decide that I'm going to swing by my "bank" to cash my check. It's Dexsta there on Foulk Road near 202. So, in I walk w/ my XD on my side. I double-check the signs outside the entrance to make sure I still haven't seen any. None. Good. So, I take a deep breath and walk in. Two women were inside the door at the customer service counter. They saw it (I think) because they stopped in the middle of their conversation. I said "hello" to them and walked right into line. By the time I got my check out of my wallet, the teller asked me to come up. She recognized me from me being there last week. She has a good memory I guess. She starts small talk, and mentions that she's seen me in a lot more lately. I didn't think so, but hey, it's OK. I get my money and exchange "have a good weekends" and I walk towards the door. The one customer service woman tells me "Have a good night, Sir." I say thanks and the same to her.

Next stop is the client's office. I had already "warned" him in an email that I may be "packing" so don't freak out. But he didn't flinch when he saw my gun. He actually commented on how I tuck my jacket behind the holster so I don't conceal, asked what it was, and why I carry. I told him what it was, and about the crimes that have been happening lately which are a little too close to home for me. He nodded in agreement/acceptance. He then showed me his little .35 ancient pistol he keeps in his desk, and mentioned his mega-safe upstairs that has like 35 long guns. His office also has a few deer heads mounted on the wall, which he already told me he took w/ a muzzleloader (IIRC). So, me carrying around him was a total non-issue.

I then hit the Wawa (Foulk & Wilson) to pick up some milk on my way home. Into the store, over to the dairy section, no problems. But while waiting at the counter to pay, I hear two women yapping away, and as they walk up behind me... sudden silence. They didn't say anything, and as I thanked the cashier for my receipt, he says "Have a good night, Sir." The women start yapping again. LOL.

So, all in all, another uneventful OC experience. :celebrate

Is it wrong of me to sort of laugh inside (to myself) whenever I hear people stop talking when they see my gun? I don't know. It's just funny to me to know that a simple sighting of a holstered gun will stop even the yappiest woman right in her tracks. LOL.

And, like the saying goes: an armed society is a polite society. I'm getting more and more "Have a good day, SIR" type statements than I ever have. It's actually starting to make me feel old. Not that I need help since my hair is graying. :cry:

dave_in_delaware

imported post

10th time: Jan 26, 12:45pm

I had to mail a POS hard drive case that broke back to the company I got it from, so I hit FedEx there at Commons Blvd and 141. Before walking through the doors I check for signs. Nothing. So, I walk right in w/ my XD on my hip, and not one word/look from people waiting in line. Even the FedEx workers didn't seem phased at all, especially the woman. The guy actually helped me w/ my paperwork, and he didn't even flinch.

So, once again, no issues.

I'll be packing later tonight when I go pick up my fiancee at work (I dropped her off). We might go out to eat tonight, so I'll add to my log here if I do....

Update: my fiancee and I went to Arby's next to the Farmer's Market for dinner. I OC'd inside and no one said a word. Plenty of "punks" saw it when I had to walk THRU them to get to the drink machine. But no comments were uttered. LOL.

(and BTW: the Arby's"French Dip" sandwiches are weak. It's just a roast beef sandwich w/ cheese on a different bun, and lame broth for dipping (not actual au jus). Booo!!!)

On the way home we stopped at the Pathmark right there to get some dogfood. And, like the other times I've been there, not one comment.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

11th time: Sun Jan 28, 2008 in the afternoon:

I was acting as "electrician's assistant" to my fiancee's cousin's husband, who came over to my fiancee's house to install a bathroom exhaust fan/light. I was OCing the entire day. We stepped out to Lowe's (next to DMV on Route 13) to pick up some supplies, and no one said anything. We then went across the street to Wawa's (Route 13 and Memorial Drive) to get drinks, and even during the long wait in line (20 people and 1 cashier), no one commented. But I'm sure I got a few looks.

Uneventful once again. I hope it stays that way... forever.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

12th time: Mon Jan 28, 6:00pm, and 7:30pm:

Well, I put on my holster/gun in the work parking lot tonight, then headed towards home. About half-way there I decided to "splurge" and get some Chinese food at my favorite local carry-out place.

I pulled up and parked right in front of Evergreen Restaurant (on Miller Road near the Dollar Tree and Home Depot). I walked in, and walked up to the counter to place my order. I'm not sure if the young woman noticed anything, but she remembers me from the occasional times I'd come in (I order the same thing).

I figured since I'm waiting anyway, I'd walk over to the Dollar Tree there and really test my calm. I walk in, go back to the frozen section (looking for pizza's), find none, then decide to pick up some drinks for my kids' visit on Wed and weekend. I wait in a longish line for what seems like forever, but no one says anything. I think I got some looks, but no comments, even from the cashier.

Back to the Restaurant to sit and wait for my food. There were three young "punks" there, all talking loudly and being (OK, TRYING to be) "tough" .. until one of them saw my gun as I walked up to get my order after the woman calls me. I even have to walk past a few other customers standing in line near the counter. No comments, but it seemed to get quieter up front. Maybe it was my imagination.

Guns, it seems, are conversation stoppers, too.

Back home to eat dinner, but my fiancee calls me w/ a surprise: she's off today and wants to go out for dinner. Well alrighty then. So, I pack up my dinner, and head down to her house. Wedecide on IHOP for breakfast. And since many of usalready know their philosophy on OC (fromour first OCDO-DE meeting there), I won't mention it was uneventful again. A few patrons noticed as I walked to and from the bathroom, but (can you guess?) ... nothing was said. LOL.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

13th time, Jan 30, 5:30pm-6:30pm:

I picked up my kids after work today (like every Wednesday for visitation), and we went out to ShopRite (up on 202 in Fairfax) to pick up some stuff for their lunches and over the weekend. OC'd my firearm the whole time, not one word. I may have gotten some looks or double-takes, but nothing was said.

I did hear about my son's "dreams" where monsters always kill everyone around (Mommy, sisters, him) except for me, because I shot the monsters w/ my gun.... should I be worried about these dreams?? :uhoh:

dave_in_delaware

imported post

14th time, Thurs Jan 31, 5:00-5:45pm: *unexpected "incident"*

I left the office today and strapped on my holster before I left the parking lot. I thought I'd stop by the Cumberland Farms there at Astra-Zeneca (202&141) to get some gas, but it was freakin'-A busy and crowded at the pumps. It took me 3 minutes to pull off of 202, decide NOT to get gas (thanks to everyone being impatient, near-accidents, etc), and pull around to the side of the building and park. I figured I'd go in and grab a drink w/ dinner tonight and wait for the craziness outside to stop. I parked right next to a "larger car" that reminded me of a police interceptor, but it had regular plates on it. The driver was inside, talking on his cell phone. As I got out and holstered my weapon, and walked past his car, I thought "oh, wow. What if he's a cop?" but kept walking. I wasn't worried about breaking the law or anything - just not in the "mood" to be detained and questioned. But, in and out, not one word - not even from the cashier. I got in my van and headed for home.

Then at the last minute I decide to pull into Kreston Liquors to pick up some "beverages" for at home. I park, holster my gun, get out and walk to the door, check for signs, and enter. I walk right past the cashiers area, over to the beer section, look around a bit, pick my selection, then walk straight over to the vodka section (past the cashiers again), grab a bottle of cheapie stuff, then get in line. The cashier is nice and rings me up. I mention the peppermint liquor samples she has on the counter, and she says they're good, so I toss two of those in as well. I'm all paid for, and working on picking up my bag... in walks one of the employees (who puts heavy stuff into peoples' cars), and in a "regular" voice, says to her (and loud enough for everyone ELSE within 30 feet):

"Did you see this guy's Glock? You had better behave yourself!"

and I'm thinking Oh, sh!t, here we go. :shock: I could "feel" all the eyes on me. So, keeping my cool, my response was simply "actually it's not a Glock, it's a Springfield XD." and right after, she says "well, it's OK because I always behave myself."

So, apparently even after having it announced that a guy has a gun, no one really cares around here (especially in a liquor store!). And, again, that's OK by me!

But holy crap! He didn't have to say it out loud!!!! :what:

[patting my XD on my hip: "It's OK, baby, he didn't mean to insult you by calling you a Glock. You're so much better than that!"] LOL

dave_in_delaware

imported post

15th time, Sat Feb 2, 2008, around 2:00pm:

We (my kids and I) headed to Wal-Mart this afternoon to get a few things. On the way, we stopped by Wawa (at Churchmans & Airport Roads) to fill my tires w/ air (were rather low). Then, at Wal-Mart (on Route 40 next to Crappleby's), I decided to really test the "open carry" waters (Wal-Mart was a place where I hesitated to OC). I walked in w/ my XD on my side, did all my shopping, walked past some employees, and a manager, even went back to the sporting goods section and bought a new carry knife and a box of ammo. All while armed. Then, we took everything to the van and loaded it into the trunk, where I "remembered" the electric heater I had to return, so back in we went, and waited in line at Customer Service. Managers walked past me, the woman behind us commented on something my kids said, the woman at the counter gladly helped me return my POS heater, and we walked back out.

Not one word or look about my gun. And that's the way I want it! :celebrate

dave_in_delaware

imported post

16th time, Feb 5, 2008, 5:30-6:45pm:

After I was finished w/ work, I strapped on my SERPA and loaded my gun, and then went on a mission. I stopped by Harbor Freight Tools (University Plaza) to pick up a few 9-LED flashlights I had coupons for (I picked up one at a gun show, and I love it - it's brighter than the sun). I checked for signs, and the only thing they don't want inside is smoking. I walked up and down almost all the aisles, not finding what I wanted. So, I asked an employee about them. He ended up needing to go in "the back" to look for more. Turns out they were sold out, and he suggested I come back Thursday. I had mentioned that I got my first one at a gun show, and he "perked" up a bit. He asked which one, and if they'd be back there. I told him the website to check for sure, but I thought they'd be back in Philthydelphia in March or April. I left after that, empty-handed.

Then, on a whim, I decided to go over to the ACME right there and get a nice big help-yourself salad for dinner. I went in, went to the salad bar, which was EMPTY!!! WTF?? They did have a "hot stuff" bar, which was filled mostly w/ wanna-be Chinese food. No thanks. If I wanted GOOD Chinese food for dinner, I'd head over to the other side of the strip mall to that Chinese Restaurant.

So, I went home, empty-handed all around. BUT, again, I didn't get any grief or comments about my weapon.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

17th time, Feb 8, 2008, 5:30pm - 7:00 pm:

Well, I stopped by my client's office last night to pick up a check. I've already mentioned stuff about him, so he was fine w/ me carrying.

After that, I decided to hit the library to get some books and movies. My mind was definitely remembering some sort of sign on the entrance doors, but it was "no cellphones" and "no food/drink," so I went in (I did look for "no guns" but there weren't any). I did expect one of the employees to say something... eventually... since I was all over the library. I went to the catalog (computer search) area to look up some stuff, then upstairs to the nonfiction, then to the reference desk to ask about one of their "microform" entries, then back downstairs to the DVD section, even kids movies, then the new/used books area, then to the catalog again, and back upstairs for another search of other books.

I was even across from or near employees' offices (w/ the glass where they can see out), having employees walk past me, patrons were sitting almost right next to my gun when I was looking for books in the aisles, even the reference desk employee got up and helped me look for the "microform" thing and another employee came right out of a door next to me while I was squatting down looking for something (gun was on her side of view). And...

... Nothing! Not one word, from anyone, not even the kids that were there.

So either the library is OK w/ weapons inside (despite their own rules), or they thought I was LEO and "allowed" to carry, or no one even noticed.

I'm guessing it's the "no one noticed" option.

But I'll take that, too! Uneventful = awesome. :celebrate

stephpd

imported post

I vote on you clean cut looks that they think you have a job that requires the gun. Same for Wynder and MustangDave. Not sure they'd treat me differently due to looks but it makes me wonder. Any other scruffy looking nerf herders willing to strap on a leg iron? I still like mine out of sight.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

Well, I'm not typically well-dressed like Wynder. I'm usually in jeans and a polo shirt, and either sneakers or boots. And I'm usually NOT clean-shaven, either. There are days when I'm beyond scruffy looking nerf herder.

I think part of it is this weather: My winter jacket is tucked around my weapon. Once spring/summer hits and there are no jackets or coats, and my shirt is tucked in, I think I'll be getting "spotted" much more often.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

18th time, Feb 9 2008 @ 5:00pm:

Well, we needed some supplies so I went to Wal-Mart this afternoon. I had my XD/SERPA combo on my hip of course. Overall it was an uneventful outing. But I did notice two different instances where someone saw it.

First time I was heading to the bread aisle. I walked around one guy who was already there. I excused myself and went past him, then pulled in front of him and started looking at their choices. He walked in front of me and I slid over (switched places), and I noticed him looking down at my gun. Meh, no big deal I thought. Next thing I know, I look down the aisle and see him walking kind of fast w/ his cart, looking back at me. LMAO.

Second time was at the cashier. I was loading my cart w/ stuff, and going to get my wallet. I noticed a guy standing behind and to the right of me (he was with someone else who was in line). He looked at my gun, then at me, then at my gun, then at me. I just smiled at him and went about my business. He then walked over into line w/ his friend.

No employees noticed or said anything, and I didn't have the cops show up.

:dude:

dave_in_delaware

imported post

19th time, Feb 10 2008 1:00pm-8:15pm:

It was a "run around" day today, but it didn't start early (we slept in). We started out going up to my house to check on my kitty. My fiancee stayed in the van, because we had taken her dog along for a ride. After checking on the cat, I was coming out of the house w/ my bags (one for work, one w/ clothing), and I opened the sliding door on the drivers side to put my bags in. At the same time, a guy was walking down the middle of the street, and heard me say something to my fiancee. He must have turned to see who it was, because I heard a "oh, sh!t" or some sort of muttering from him, as he looked my way. I had looked up, and he had already turned around and continued to walk.

We then headed for Kohl's (on 202) so my fiancee could use her gift card. We were in the store (for what seemed to be 5 hours!), looking around at stuff. But I don't think anyone noticed anything.

Then we swung over to the Wild Bird Center (Naamans Road) just before they closed to pick upour 3rd place prize (from a "guess how many jellybean are in the jar" type of game) from when we were there to see the "Birds of Prey" live demonstrations at their Anniversary Day. I KNOW that the younger kid noticed my gun, because he started getting quite talkative. LOL...

We then headed back to my fiancee's house to drop off the dog, and then we went to the Farmer's Market so I could get scalped at the barber shop inside. Now, this was one of the places I've been hesitant to go into while carrying, simply due to how many people are usually there, but the parking lot seemed to be relatively empty, so I tried it. Walking around wasn't too bad, but once inside the barber's, I had taken my coat off, and THEN some of the people inside went silent. My fiancee was watching, and she told me that a few people "kept their eyes on me." LOL.

After that, and a 5-minute discussion about where to have dinner, we decided to hit the Lone Star Steakhouse just south of 273 (on Route 13). No one said a word about me, but when I had to go to the little boy's room, one table on the way noticed. I'm still not used to the reactions I see when people realize I'm carrying a gun. It's kind of a combination of "deer in headlights" and "OMG we're doomed" sort of looks. LMAO.

But, once again, no one mentioned anything, and no cops were called.:p

dave_in_delaware

imported post

20th time, Mon Feb 11 @ 6:30-9:45pm:

I went to my fiancee's house tonight to "pick her up" (I drove her car), to take her to her tax preparation appointment. It was at H&R Block (in Bear,at Routes 40 & 7), and even though it was kind of busy, I'm not sure if anyone noticed that I was carrying.

We then went across the street for dinner. My fiancee has been trying to get me to Hibachi's for a long time, so tonight I "gave in" and we went. I don't think anyone even noticed on our way in, or shile we were sitting at the table. Three other couples eventually ended up at our table, too. And, until I had to get up to go to the bathroom, I don't think anyone realized (or imagined) that I had a gun. There was only one couple left (next to us) and my fiancee and the woman kind of hit it off (due to a common love of horses and target shooting, and dating Cancers). I'm pretty sure at least she noticed, but later my fiancee told me that she didn't say anything.

So, all in all, another uneventful evening.

(and anyone who likes fried rice MUST go to Hibachi Grill!!! Wow it was yummy!)

dave_in_delaware

imported post

21st time, Feb 14, 2008 around 7:00pm:

Went to Papa John's (Basin Road) to pick up dinner, went in, paid for pizza, walked out. No one even noticed.

Then I stopped at Golden Dove (Route 13) to pick up some chocolate covered strawberries for "the woman." Waited up front about 30 seconds for someone to help me. When I told the guy what I wanted, I noticed another guy sitting at the front counter look over, and his eyes got a little larger when he saw my gun. When he saw that I had been looking at him, he quickly looked back at his food... LOL.

Finally, I stopped at the Wawa (Route 13 and Memorial Dr) to grab some iced tea for dinner. I think some younger kids (early teens?) noticed, but they were too busy running around the store like idiots. The cashier didn't notice.

Another uneventful time.

dave_in_delaware

imported post

22nd time, Sunday Feb 17, around 1:00pm...

I had my kids with me this weekend, and we went out to Denny's (near I-95/273) for a late lunch. People definitely noticed, like the people sitting across from us, and one booth down from us, and the waitresses, and the couple who was leaving while I was paying the bill.

No one said anything, but I did get some looks.