• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

minority OC'ing

stxrebel

imported post

I'm of hispanic heritage my family ties are rooted back spain, but regardless are there any other minorities that open carry, I live in montana now because I'm in the military and not saying that everyone here is a gun toting nazi, because I've met alot of great people here, I'm still hesitant to OC for fear of being harrassed by LEO, do I have a right to be fearful or am I just being paranoid?

Legba

imported post

Should an ethnic minority have anything to fear by asserting his/her 2nd amendment rights? Possibly slightly moreso than what Archie Bunker called "regular Americans." Just try to avoid the "gangsta" stereotypes and you might be ok: the tattoos, bandana, shirt buttoned just at the top, saying 'ese' or 'vato' every 3rd word...

But seriously - either we have equal justice or we have no justice. Carry on.

-ljp

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I was born and raised in Puerto Rico.I have been OC'ing for a year now and haven't had any significant issues.

edit:I see you are 21. It's going to be tougher for you if you don't stay away from the stereotypical attire and attitude we are known for.;)

VAopencarry

imported post

Well there is always a chance of cop harassment no matter who or where you are. Some parts of western MT are being overrun with 'outsiders'. That being said it's frikkin Montana!!! Brush up a little on the Montanian culture.

To directly answer you question, yes there are minorties on this board that OC.

You may be stopped and ID'd or something but I wouldn't sweat it too much. Stay legal and you will have no worries.

stxrebel

imported post

yeah, I'm not by any means the stereotypical minority, I was raised in a small country town in South Texas, I don't dress or ever attempt to dress the part of a "gangsta", but every now and then I get stares mainly from the older generation of people

glocknroll

imported post

Feel free to exercise your rights like any other American. If you are harassed by anyone because of your race or ethnic heritage, it is a reflection on their small mindedness, as well as a chance for you to teach them that all people who look a particular way don't act the same as others who look like you.

Good luck in your interaction with all who see you.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

stxrebel wrote:
I'm of hispanic heritage my family ties are rooted back spain, but regardless are there any other minorities that open carry, I live in montana now because I'm in the military and not saying that everyone here is a gun toting nazi, because I've met alot of great people here, I'm still hesitant to OC for fear of being harrassed by LEO, do I have a right to be fearful or am I just being paranoid?
Well first off, if your roots and biological heritage are from Spain, you are a descended from western European stock and will look like most other people in the U.S. So I should think that you would get past the first "obstacle" just fine. As such, most would never confuse you with a minority class of people.

As for inferring people of Montana fall into the Nazi catagory, that is sure to not get you invited to the next Christmas party.

What it all boils down to is very simple. Act like an ass and expect to be treated like one. Act like a normal respectable American and doors open.

stxrebel

imported post

I know that not everyone in montana is a simple minded person I've met alot of great people up here, but there are still quite a few that are stuck in the olden days, and I can't blame them for it, and I'm a very respectable person, my parents were very strict with me growing up...that being said, all this is helping me feel more at ease about OC'ing

Thundar

imported post

You are in the military. You have sworn an oath to support and defend. Please carry if it is legal and that is your desire. Hopefully any bigots that see you will change their minds. (When I say bigots I mean both the anti-Hispanic and the anti-gun kinds!)

PavePusher

imported post

Carry your military ID at all times. Get a digital voice recorder. Record all harrasment. Show your ID and state that you took an oath to "Support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic", and that all furtharharrasment will be forwarded to your commander, First Sergeant and base legal office.

Carry proud!

P.S. Any slots open for an Air Force2A671B up there? :)

ChopperCopper

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
Carry your military ID at all times. Get a digital voice recorder. Record all harrasment. Show your ID and state that you took an oath to "Support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic", and that all furtharharrasment will be forwarded to your commander, First Sergeant and base legal office.

Carry proud!

You would probably avoid a lot of trouble if you politely cited the law that permits open carry. If you start talking about harassment and pulling out recording devices you're just being an ass.

Ever heard the saying, "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" ?

cdpmaster

imported post

ChopperCopper wrote:
PavePusher wrote:

Carry proud!

You would probably avoid a lot of trouble if you politely cited the law that permits open carry. If you start talking about harassment and pulling out recording devices you're just being an ass.

Yeah and a police officer will believe every word he is told, especially by a person exercisingtheir guaranteed rights in a non-standard way or a way they don't approve. Thats why most policecarshave video recorders, so that they are not being an ass or harassing...

ChopperCopper

imported post

cdpmaster wrote:
ChopperCopper wrote:
PavePusher wrote:

Carry proud!

Yeah and a police officer will believe every word he is told, especially by a person exercisingtheir guaranteed rights in a non-standard way or a way they don't approve. Thats why most policecarshave video recorders, so that they are not being an ass or harassing...

Noooo...we have cameras in our cars to protect us from undesirables who make unfounded complaints. I recieved a complaint that went straight to my Sheriff because the complainee was his personal friend. That video of the traffic stop saved me a lot of hassle because the "investigation" ended as soon as the Sheriff finished watching the video. And as far as whether we approve of what you're doing, it is of no consequence. My job is to enforce the law, not to determine how someone should exercise their rights.

Also, it doesn't matter whether a cop believes you about the law, he has only to to refer to his large book of laws. If you are within the law, then the stop would be most educational for the cop. In fact, get yourself a copy and keep it in your car. If you have had a negative contact with a cop before, then don't place the burden of changing your perspective on the rest of us. If I had a negative contact with someone who legally open carrys, would I be right to judge all who open carry based on the actions of one?

Unfortunately, you sound as if you will never believe us to be anything but Stalinistic robots who were concieved in test tubes for the sole purpose of oppressing a free people. There is probably nothing anybody could do to change your opinion.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

ChopperCopper wrote:
Noooo...we have cameras in our cars to protect us from undesirables who make unfounded complaints. I recieved a complaint that went straight to my Sheriff because the complainee was his personal friend. That video of the traffic stop saved me a lot of hassle because the "investigation" ended as soon as the Sheriff finished watching the video. And as far as whether we approve of what you're doing, it is of no consequence. My job is to enforce the law, not to determine how someone should exercise their rights.

Also, it doesn't matter whether a cop believes you about the law, he has only to to refer to his large book of laws. If you are within the law, then the stop would be most educational for the cop. In fact, get yourself a copy and keep it in your car. If you have had a negative contact with a cop before, then don't place the burden of changing your perspective on the rest of us. If I had a negative contact with someone who legally open carrys, would I be right to judge all who open carry based on the actions of one?

Unfortunately, you sound as if you will never believe us to be anything but Stalinistic robots who were concieved in test tubes for the sole purpose of oppressing a free people. There is probably nothing anybody could do to change your opinion.

Noooo...we have cameras in our cars to protect us from undesirables who make unfounded complaints.Don't forget:To use as evidence against a person. The good thing is the cameras are neutral and can show abuses as well, just harder to get a copy of it in that case.

"whether we approve....whether a cop....never believe us" You also shouldn't make blanket statements as if you are talking for or about all LOEs. You can only really relate whatYOU would or wouldn'tdo. To speculate as to what COPS would do is really beyond anyones ability (unlessone can tell the future).

ChopperCopper

imported post

Venator wrote:
ChopperCopper wrote:

Noooo...we have cameras in our cars to protect us from undesirables who make unfounded complaints.Don't forget:To use as evidence against a person. The good thing is the cameras are neutral and can show abuses as well, just harder to get a copy of it in that case.

"whether we approve....whether a cop....never believe us" You also shouldn't make blanket statements as if you are talking for or about all LOEs. You can only really relate whatYOU would or wouldn'tdo. To speculate as to what COPS would do is really beyond anyones ability (unlessone can tell the future).

I wasn't speculating an action or an opinion. Whether we approve, does not matter. It's not whether I approve. It was a statement of fact thatour opinion in how someone operates within the law does not matter. And I am talking about all LEOs. I was speculating about what they would do. I was imparting the fact that we, law enforcement, have no right to determine how someone is to exercise their rights, as long as it is within the law.

And of course our cameras would be used as evidence against a person. If someone burglarized your home, would you not want you own cameras to record the suspect doing so and use it against him?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

ChopperCopper wrote:
I wasn't speculating an action or an opinion. Whether we approve, does not matter. It's not whether I approve. It was a statement of fact thatour opinion in how someone operates within the law does not matter. And I am talking about all LEOs. I was speculating about what they would do. I was imparting the fact that we, law enforcement, have no right to determine how someone is to exercise their rights, as long as it is within the law.

And of course our cameras would be used as evidence against a person. If someone burglarized your home, would you not want you own cameras to record the suspect doing so and use it against him?

"It was a statement of fact thatour opinion in how someone operates within the law does not matter....I was speculating about what they would do." Again this is your opinion not the "our" opinion you cite. How do you know what all LOE's opinions are. It's just a bad habit you have, it really shows an us against them mind set. WE the LOE's do this or think that. Again, not all LOE's think or act the same.

"I was imparting the fact that we, law enforcement, have no right to determine how someone is to exercise their rights, as long as it is within the law." How can exercising your rights be outside the law? I would think by definition if you are exercising your rights youare well WITHIN the law.

"And of course our cameras would be used as evidence against a person." I was just pointing out another use for the videos that you failed to mention.

"If someone burglarized your home, would you not want you own cameras to record the suspect doing so and use it against him?" Cameras?....Cameras? I don't need no stinking Cameras.

ChopperCopper

imported post

Venator wrote:
ChopperCopper wrote:

"It was a statement of fact thatour opinion in how someone operates within the law does not matter....I was speculating about what they would do." Again this is your opinion not the "our" opinion you cite. How do you know what all LOE's opinions are. It's just a bad habit you have, it really shows an us against them mind set. WE the LOE's do this or think that. Again, not all LOE's think or act the same.

"I was imparting the fact that we, law enforcement, have no right to determine how someone is to exercise their rights, as long as it is within the law." How can exercising your rights be outside the law? I would think by definition if you are exercising your rights youare well WITHIN the law.

"And of course our cameras would be used as evidence against a person." I was just pointing out another use for the videos that you failed to mention.

"If someone burglarized your home, would you not want you own cameras to record the suspect doing so and use it against him?" Cameras?....Cameras? I don't need no stinking Cameras.
I really think you don't understand the message of my post. I am not indicating what law enforcement would do or think as a whole. I am stating that we do not have the right, nor anyone else, to determine how someone exercises their right. What is so hard to understand. Men cannot have babies. That is a general and broad statement, but it is fact.

You have the right to bear arms, but in Florida, you cannot do so in in certain places. That is how one would exercise their right, but outside of the law.

I am not against you. If you would just take the time to comprehend my post, you would see that I have done nothing but give good advice to aid those when in contact with US. Yes, I said, US, because I am part of a group of people who form an entire subculture of american society. It is not right, nor wrong, it just is.

unrequited

imported post

<-- you can probably guess my nationality.

I had a couple dirty looks the summer after the VTech incident here in Northern Virginia, but that's quickly died down. It's back to the "he must be a cop" mutters.

PavePusher

imported post

ChopperCopper wrote:
PavePusher wrote:

Carry proud!

Aargh, I meant to put the part about stating the law (although many places OC is legal because there is no law stating it is illegal), but I was trying to do too many things at once. And I thought that polite was implied, sorry about that too. But there is also the point that being harrased for legal actions is impolite at the start, however the harresee should generally avoid escalating the situation.

Oh, and I also meant to say "If you are harrassed...", not to immediately assume you are being harrased.

Someday, my first post in a thread will never need clarification... probably the same day I manage to not put my socks on backwards...