• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tape Recorder usage, Wash state law

joeroket

imported post

nathan wrote:
Sometimes COPS and shows of that nature will blur out someones face. Maybe those people didn't consent to being on the show and blurring out their face is enough to be in compliance with the law.
That would be my guess.

compmanio365

imported post

joeroket wrote:
nathan wrote:
Sometimes COPS and shows of that nature will blur out someones face. Maybe those people didn't consent to being on the show and blurring out their face is enough to be in compliance with the law.
That would be my guess.

Right, COPS and other such shows still need to get a waiver stating they are allowed to show this person on TV before they air the program. If they did not get such a waiver, or the person flat out refused, that's when you see the faces blurred out and such.

Rook

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
joeroket wrote:
nathan wrote:
That would be my guess.

Right, COPS and other such shows still need to get a waiver stating they are allowed to show this person on TV before they air the program. If they did not get such a waiver, or the person flat out refused, that's when you see the faces blurred out and such.

You know what the worst part about the COPS TV show is, though I love watching....They will actually do one of two things on a regular basis to give the suspects incentive to sign a waiver or disclaimer for using the footage on the show...

Reduce the charges or pay the BG money in order to be able to use the footage on the show. I was on-site once in Lakewood while going to get a Subway sandwich for lunch while a COPS episode was being filmed.

I pulled into the parking lot of the Subway on South Tacoma way and 512, I noticed in the parking lot that there were 14 LEO's on site and wondered what the heck could be the big deal. Apparently there was a man in the Mexican restaurant close by that was seen carrying a loaded handgun...I know you think....not again...he however, was also carrying a grenade and a few other articles that were not legal, such as a butterfly knife.

I had the opportunity to get the sound guy to answer that question for me when I asked it; What kind of benefit do those guys get for being humiliated on TV? He replied with what I stated above...funny how law and order will be bent in order to get better ratings...we all know we want to see the 'face' of evil !!

Anyhow, thought I would add that as a slight twist to the tv show, it think their methods are funked up but I still like the show...

joeroket

imported post

I highly doubt the prosecutor is going to reduce charges in order to get a consent form signed, but I do not doubt that they get a nominal fee from the producers of the show. It sounds like the sound guy was blowing a little smoke.

Phssthpok

imported post

Stering back to the topic of personal recorders...

Whole at Fry's the other day (OC of course ;)) I went in search of a small lapell microphjone to plug into my recorder so i wouldn't have to hold it in my hand to get decent sound. ( the pocket muffles sound something fierce). I couldn't even find an accessory mic for a camcorder letalone anything else. UNTIL I went into the PC area. on a lark I decided to see wha they had for PC microphones. I found this little/url] gem for $10.

It's not as unobtrusive as I'd like (about the size of a SMALL car remote), but it does the job. The mic istelf slides out of that little bracket and has a lapel clip on the back side, so I can leave the recorder in my pocket, and have just the mic showing.