• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Large credit card processing company refuses to process firearms related purchases!

Superlite27

imported post

Someone at this company has basicly declared war on the firearms industry. As far as I can tell, it isn't illegal to buy and sell firearms over the internet.

Here's the article from NSSF:
http://www.nssf.org/news/fromBP.cfm?BPseq=704

[align=justify]CREDIT CARD PROCESSING COMPANY REJECTS FIREARMS INDUSTRY

REFUSES TO PROCESS TRANSACTIONS . . . Citi Merchant Services and First Data Corp. are refusing to process any credit card transactions between federally licensed firearms retailers, distributors and manufacturers -- a move which will severely limit available inventory of firearms and ammunition to military, law enforcement and law-abiding Americans.

The first company to be affected by this decision appears to be firearms distributor CDNN Sports Inc.

"We were contacted recently by First Data/Citi Merchant Services by a June Rivera-Mantilla stating that we were terminated and funds were being seized for selling firearms in a non-face-to-face transaction," said Charlie Crawford, president of CDNN Sports Inc. "Although perfectly legal, we were also informed that no transactions would be processed in the future, even for non-firearms. I find this very frightening."

To voice your concern to Citi Merchant Services and First Data Corp., please contact June Rivera-Mantilla at 631-683-7734 or her supervisor Robert Tenenbaum at 631-683-6570.

To change to an NSSF-affiliated credit card processing program, contact Payment Alliance International at 1-866-371-2273 (ext. 1131).[/align]

[align=justify]
[/align]
[align=justify]Know anyone who does business with these credit companies? Are they really serious about keeping their business with them? [/align]

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

While the intrusion of left-wing greenie-ethical business practices into commerce is disturbing, no less is this

To change to an NSSF-affiliated credit card processing program, contact Payment Alliance International at 1-866-371-2273 (ext. 1131).

given the NSSF's confusion, similar to the NRA's, about the meaning and significance of the 2A. It is not about hunting or commerce or marketeering.

Isn't CITI at the center of the 'housing bust' and might this be in someway related? I have no sympathy for those doomed to 'sub-prime' mortgages nor for the fleas acquired lying with speculative investment-dogs. Conservatism is more than politics.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$

Superlite27

imported post

Here's the actual letter:

citiletter.jpg

No NAU

imported post

Citi is in huge financial trouble already. This 2a issue is all the more reason to pull any business from them. If you don't like what Citi is doing look at your credit cards and if they are Citi cancel them, if you have accounts with them close them.

2a violations are not cool and I would be concerned this is the first of other credit card companies following suite. Show them it is unacceptable by stopping business with them.

They have quietly begun limiting wire transfer amounts and limiting ATM withdrawals in NYC, pointing to a cash shortage.

If you have your money in a Citi account and they go bankrupt where does your money go???

They are heavily invested in derivatives like the sub-prime market. Many banks are over-extended and if all of their customers asked for their money right now, they wouldn't have it.

Excerpt from:http://www.moneyandmarkets.com/issues.aspx?Dangerously-Close-to-a-Money-Panic

"Helping to cut through some of the uncertainty, the OCC evaluates the credit exposure of each U.S. bank holding derivatives. In other words, it asks the question:

Regardless of whether the bet is a win or a loss, what happens if the investor on the other side of the bet doesn't pay up?

In normal times, such payment defaults are rare. So this is largely a theoretical question. But in a money panic, when markets can go haywire and available cash financing can suddenly dry up, a chain reaction of defaults could make this a very urgent and practical question.

Here are the answers, according to OCC data:

Overall, including all types of derivatives ...

Wachovia has credit exposure that's equivalent to 89% of its capital. In other words, if all of its counterparties defaulted on their bets with Wachovia, nearly nine-tenths of its capital would be wiped out.

Bank of America is exposed to the tune of 99% of its capital. Assuming no capital infusions, it could be virtually wiped out in an extreme money panic scenario.

And at three banks, the panic would not have to be quite that extreme:

Citibank has 292%:what: of its capital exposed to this kind of credit risk.

JPMorgan Chase has 387% of its capital exposed.

HSBC beats them all with an exposure of 388% of its capital. That means that even if its counterparties defaulted on just 26% of their bets, its capital could be wiped out."

Vote for the 2a with your dollars.

Superlite27

imported post

So...this begs the question:

What happens if a significant percentage of their counterparties PAID OFF THEIR CREDIT LINES and canceled their accounts?

Wouldn't this be a GOOD thing for citigroup? It would give them an infusion of cash, right?

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well... I do have a couple Citi-Bank cards that have very small balances.

Since they are cards that I don't particularly want since their interest rate is somewhat higher than my other cards... they will no longer get any of my business.

Just an FYI... not only does Citi handle MC and VISA, some Department Store cards are also processed by Citi-Group. I know that Sears is one of them.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I haven't read the whole thread, but it sounds like maybe they just don't understand what is going on, or need some assurance from the firearm seller that he's not breaking any laws.

The first assurance would be that he is in business. That would last about three seconds if the ATF thought he was doing something illegal.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Apparently this is not a new position from City Group.

See http://www.saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=19

Citibank is headquartered in New York City and is a subsidiary of CitiGroup, a worldwide corporation that handles credit cards, as well as corporate and consumer banking accounts. A boycott is called for against all members of CitiGroup, including Citibank, AT&T Universal Card, CitiGroup Foundation, CitiFinancial, Global Corporate & Investment Banking, Primerica Financial Services, Salomon Smith Barney, SSB Citi Asset Management Group, Travelers Property Casualty Corp., and Travelers Life & Annuity. See www.citigroup.com and http://www.citibank.com/citigroup/lob/sub/gconb/mid.htm for more places to boycott!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
Well... I do have a couple Citi-Bank cards that have very small balances.

Since they are cards that I don't particularly want since their interest rate is somewhat higher than my other cards... they will no longer get any of my business.

Just an FYI... not only does Citi handle MC and VISA, some Department Store cards are also processed by Citi-Group. I know that Sears is one of them.
If you do this, write exactly why you are returning the card. Don't just quit using it. They're known for upping your credit limit if you do that.

I make them pay a lot every year, too. Every CITI application I get (usually 2-3 a week) gets sent back in its business reply envelope - with something in the envelope. That's how I get rid of a bunch of my junk mail. Between CITI and Capital One, I send about 20 a week. I think I'll start writing on them "I could have used credit to buy firearms - but that wouldn't help your business either."

Superlite27

imported post

Don't just send back junk!

Make copies of the letter refusing firearms transactions....and send that back to them using the junk citi credit card solicitations!

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

No. The business reply commits THEM to paying for whatever trash you return. They won't listen to us refuse their crap so let'em pay for it. Beware that dog-poop may be considered a bio-hazardous material and subject to you to severe Homeland Severity penalties if they trace to you.

Legba

imported post

I don't know what their objection is. Interstate commerce in firearms is legally permitted between/among FFLs (shipping across state lines to these ends is not prohibited, contrary to this letter). They can, in turn,resell them to individuals. I'm not aware of any on-line brokerage which doesn't adhere to these legal requirements.Unless this CDNN Sports Inc. place was doing direct interstate sales, what's the problem? It isn't the duty of the card issuer/processor to assure compliance with the GCA in any case. I simply don't understand why this an issue at all, beyond a deliberate misunderstanding of the applicable law justifying some anti-gun agenda.

-ljp

PT111

imported post

Unless someone just has their head up thier butt there has to be more than just anti-gun stuff. Wonder if they have canceled contracts with any other dealers, how about those that sell on Gun Broker? As far as I could tell CDNN was doing nothing illegal. However I did read where when you buy a gun from them and have it shipped to a FFL you still had to pay sales tax because of the way they billed it. That could be what they are referring to but it sounds assinie to me. I have never bought from CDNN so I don't know.

Thundar

imported post

Virginia Citizens can go to the following Citi Banks in Virginia to inform the manager of their displeasure:

McLean
6643 Old Dominion Drive
McLean, VA 22101

Tyson's Corner
8516 Leesburg Pike
Vienna, VA 22182

Leesburg
504 East Market Street
Leesburg, VA 20176

Remember open carry is not prohibited by state law in financial institutions, but if posted, trespassing laws would apply.

VCDL: It looks like we have another rogue to put in our gun unfriendly file.