• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Defensive handgun training/competition

Misguided Child

imported post

Are there any types of practical/defensive pistol shooting ranges in the metro area? I am a competent bullseye shooter and have had some close range shooting drills with the Marines but have never had any training for defensive handgunning. All the ranges I've been at strongly discourage "draw and fire" practice etc...

I'm going to fix this by taking "Defensive Handgun" from FAS in Feb. and the LFI 1 course in July but do any of you know where I can start practicing this and/or keep working on skills after the training in a live fire enviroment? The Sat. night shoot in Arlington is temp. shut down while they remodel.

Morris

North of Seattlle, South of Canada, Washington, US
imported post

Marty and Gila are professional and personal peers and I recommend them wholeheartedly. They offer courses for everyone, not just to black clad PD warrior types as some do.

Their stuff is also well grounded and build on a quality foundation. So, go and have fun!

John Hardin

imported post

Morris wrote:
Marty and Gila are professional and personal peers and I recommend them wholeheartedly. They offer courses for everyone, not just to black clad PD warrior types as some do.

Their stuff is also well grounded and build on a quality foundation. So, go and have fun!
Links, plz?

tjschul

imported post

Just come out and start enjoying IDPA or USPSA events. There's one a week, some will argue about "how relevant" to actualreal world situations. But I'll say this: itswhat you want it to be.

Lots of drawing, reloading, fast shooting, using cover, multible targets, runningand gunning, etc.

Marysville has a very active club that can be found here:

http://www.uspsa.org/

I don't bother with the (bullseye)range at all any more, just too darn boring.

Its all about trigger time.

Don't get me wrong Marty runs a first rate operation (wish he still hosted IPSC matches. You reading this Marty?). Its just that I have a limited budget and classes are a once a year, or two thing.

tjschul

imported post

I can tell you a little about that class: If you really want the Utah permit, you'll have to sit throught it. Longest 4 hrs I ever spent related to firearms.

If you want any sort of firearms training and you are not an absolute newbie...don't waste your money, you won't learn one single thing you didn't already know.

ps- Utah permit is not valid in WA if you are a resident. (learned that here, not in the Utah class!)