• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Introduction and first open carry experence.

Godless_Liberal

imported post

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking around the forums for a few weeks now and since I open carried for my first time today, I thought I should post about it and introduce myself. I live in West Seattle and am 23 years old. I bought my first firearm(USP Compact) a few months back and applied for my CCW a little over a month ago.

While my family isn't outright anti-gun, I certainly wouldn't consider them pro-gun. Due to this I was reluctant to purchase a firearm until recently. I am rather serious about self defense; I have practiced Karate for over four years, I always carry a proper knife in any area I am legally allowed to do so. Purchasing and carrying a firearm became a natural extension to this once I thought it out.

So for my first time open carrying I went to Alki Mail & Dispatch and ordered some coffee, made use of a computer and printed some PDF's. The employee that was present was quite helpful and while I'm sure he saw my firearm, didn't even take a take a second glance or comment about it.

My next stop was the Safeway up the hill(California and Admiral). While a few customers did double takes, none of the staff said anything and I completed my shopping without issue. That concluded my fist outing, short and thankfully uneventful.

I would like to end this with thanking the owner(s) of this forum along with the many members for providing a very valuable resource and means of discussion.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Excellent report. My older brother lives in Lake Sammamish and I've talked to him about open carry in the Seattle area. Like most people, he's sure that it would cause alarm and that the police would be called. Thank you for providing more evidence to the contrary.

just_a_car

imported post

Glad to hear you had a good and uneventful outing.

Welcome to the forums and I hope you can make it out to one of our monthly lunch get-togethers. Our next one is on January 20th at the Original Roadhouse Grill across the street from Sam's Gun Range in Everett (on 128th Ave./Airport Way, just west of Hwy. 99)

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Glad you decided to open carry and to post your first "experience". Welcome to OCDO!